THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    An Historical African Big Game Question

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Historical African Big Game Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted
Over the past couple of years I have been reading as much as I can about the military and political history of the 2nd Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902, also more generally known as the Boer War. This was an interesting conflict for several reasons, not the least because it was fought mostly in what is now the RSA and Zululand (previously, Natal). The references include military-political histories by Farwell, Pakenham, Evans, Judd & Surridge, Childs, Churchill, and Barthop plus fiction by Stuart Cloete. Not one of those works mentions even in passing the presence of wild game during any of the military maneuvers, campaigns, or troop movements. Not to be long winded on this fascinating subjcet here is my question: Was the plains game and dangerous game abundant and present in southern Africa during the Boer War but merely not mentioned in the histories -- or had this game been driven off or shot off, or was otherwise absent?

Thanks for your indulgence.

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
CC

This is some general information

Regards, Peter

In 1896 the Rinderpest virus wiped out most of the region's game and cattle. Aiming to preserve game animals for future hunters, the Transvaal Volksraad voted in favour of a small government game reserve. Funds for the Sabie Game Reserve were allocated in 1898, but war broke out. After the Anglo Boer War Major (later Lieutenant-Colonel) James Stevenson-Hamilton was appointed the first warden in 1902, and a few months later the area from the Sabi river to the Olifants river was added.

The far north area gained protection in 1903 as the Singwitsi Game Reserve. This area included Crook's Corner, a small triangular tongue of land between the Luvuvhu and Limpopo rivers, where the borders of Moçambique, South Africa and Zimbabwe meet. In the 1900s this area was a safe-haven for gun runners, poachers, fugitives and anyone else dodging the law. It was a easy hop across the river whenever police from one particular country approached. There is a large plaque here commemorating the legendary ivory hunter Cecil Bernard (Bvekenya), who hid on an island in the middle of the Limpopo to avoid being tracked down by pursuing rangers and police in the 1920s. Ironically, Barnard later became a ranger himself. A police station was later built here.

As a result of nearly a century of unbridled hunting, there were virtually no animals in the reserves, and with the reputation of the malarial Lowveld as a white man's grave, Stevenson-Hamilton removed all human inhabitants from the reserves. In addition, he and his assistants began shooting all predators in order to "bring up" the antelope herds.

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was also precious little dangerous game left, even before the Rinderpest. At the turn of the century, Zimbabwe was down to 2000-4000 elephants total (mostly arround crooks corner and the Zambezi Valley) white rhino were already extinct except arround umfurudzi (behaps 50 left), buffalo were almost exterminated by the rinderpest. None were seen in what is now Hwange National park until after 1910. On the highveld, even lion were scarse, with only leopard surviving in any numbers.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In one of the books about the life of MT Steyn (president of the Free State during the War) its is mentioned that CR de Wet challenged him to shoot a Springbok ram, and that he accomplished that. If I remember correctly it was somewhere in the Free state.

This occured during the Boer war (1899-1902), and Steyn was in a horse drawn carriage ("koets" in Afrikaans). His health was already failing and they were running from the English, so I assume it was after the fall of Bloemfontein.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the author. The info is from the bits I remember, so I might have a fact or 2 wrong.

I know there is also stories being told of the huge Springbok-migration in the Hopetown/De Aar area (the present Northern Cape province). Apparently the magistrate (or is it the mayor?) sat on his porch and shot the animals while they "trekked" through the town. The people claim that the police sold ammo for next to nothing to the public so that they could shoot Springbok. This is also a hearsay story, if you want more info I will do some research about it December when I am back home. (I do not remember when this occured, it might be in the 1920's or late 1800's)

Personally I think it was in-effective shooting by the hunters that brought the numbers down. I grew up on a farm myself, and certain species was only re-introduced to our area in the 80's. Warthogs only reappeared in the late 90's, and most of them only after they broke out of the game reserves and ranches where they were re-introduced.

My father always tell stories of how the people hunted when he was young. He still resent that way of hunting and is very protective of the Springbok on the farm.

RM

Posts: 27 | Location: Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We could take some lessons from the South Africans on game managment practices...Get the politicians out of it would be a start in Idaho..Closed seasons never killed anyone I know.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Great post, I've always wanted to know more about the Rinderpest.

Thanks,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted Hide Post
Ganyana, Alf, Balla, Rysmier, many thanks for the info. I knew there'd be some Africa hands on this forum who'd know why game isn't mentioned in the histories of the Boer War. Tango victor mike!

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote