THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Charlotte Expo; notes from a safari virgin’s 1st exposition

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charlotte Expo; notes from a safari virgin’s 1st exposition
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted
I finally retired from my first job where I never felt comfortable planning very far ahead. Our daughter's married and graduated college. Our son's college is pretty well paid for. I landed a retirement job and we're closing on our first house at the end of this month. All signs point toward Africa...

I travelled to Charlotte’s African Sporting Exposition and decided to take along my wife and our two dogs. Not much chance the missus would be interested in accompanying me, but she’s invited and I thought she might enjoy seeing what’s really available in Namibia and RSA. Frankly, she is very uncomfortable flying at all and long flights are enough to drastically narrow vacation choices. Oh well, if she wouldn’t join me, I’d look for a Cape Buffalo hunt Big Grin.

The observations and insights below are mine and mine alone…

I told outfitters there if my wife joined me we were interested in luxury accommodations and non-hunter activities foremost and me taking 4 animals (Zebra, Kudu/Nyala, and whatever was interesting to the PH and me…) spread over a 10 day period. Focus would be on my wife enjoying herself.

At least in our case, the ladies (Marina Lamprecht and Carien van Bergen) did a nice job of engaging my wife, listening to her concerns, and selling her on an African trip. We spent a half hour sitting around in comfortable chairs around a small table (nice touches) and talking with Marina. She is a charming woman and, in our case, did an excellent job of convincing my wife the flight was a small price to pay for the experience she described to us. My wife and I never really envisioned her accompanying me in the actual hunt, but Marina pointed out the PH would not simply guide the stalk of my animal but would... point out this little track here, a unique plant there, an interesting bird nest…many animals, and a bit of history… In addition, we could visit a village, school or clinic…etc… In addition, my wife would then have her own story, entwined with mine, to go with each animal hunted and, if successful, later displayed in our home. Marina ended the conversation, by referring us to Steve Turner of travelwithguns.com . Steve listened to my wife’s concerns and offered us options and quotes. We will travel business class if my wife joins me.

On Friday morning, my wife was pretty well convinced, as was I, I would be going to Africa alone…but by Saturday her mantra was “…it would be foolish to let my irrational fear of flying get in the way of a great experience…”

I did have one outfitter show me two impressive buffalo bulls he had available, complete with photos and exact measurements, for harvest. Interesting…

The best outfitters listened to me first and then geared their spiel to how they could best meet my needs. They were up front in explaining where they believed they couldn’t meet my needs, but opened my eyes to other options. For example, “…we don’t have that available for your wife to do on our property but could arrange a side trip to X, Y, or Z before or after the hunt…”

The venue and outfitters made it a comfortable experience for a first-timer like me. Only the folks in the Myrtle Beach tourist booth tried, almost every time I passed their booth, to hail me down – irritating. None of the hunting booth folks bugged me hawking their wares. It made shopping comfortable and low pressure. I was impressed that none of the outfitters with whom I spoke, even though their hunting methods/options varied wildly, stooped to bad-mouthing their competitors in the business. I had many questions and all were answered patiently and any laughing took place out of earshot in their rooms that evening. I was pleased to learn all were comfortable with a 10 day hunt for four animals rather than an animal a day.

An interesting note was when I mentioned I was on AR as were many other visitors, several folks mentioned they’d been warned to stay off AR. Apparently, we have a bit of a reputation for brutality on the forums. I encouraged them to avoid the political forum and join us in the others…to have thick skin…and avoid fights into which they were not necessary participants.

Thanks to Mark Dewet for taking the time to school me at the bar on buff hunting, options available, and the fun of tracking down dugga boys. He also got me up-to-speed on buff conservation and care of the herd/species.

Of course, meeting AR members BigBBear and Die Ou Jagter was a pleasure, as has been every meeting with an AR member over the years.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our first 2 safaris were with Joof & Marina Lamprecht.
You & your wife will be in the best of hands if that is your choice.
PM me if you have any questions.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I think your experience at the show was about normal. Almost all African operators are great to deal with and more than happy to tailor a safari to your personal needs.

The only thing I might add is that if your interested in a PG hunt you might want to consider PG in an area that also has the Big 4. This gives you a real classic safari experience at a PG rate. Lions calling at night and encountering elephant during your day in the field will be an experience to remembered forever. Add on a few days of photo tour from a 4 star lodge and you have a great vacation for both you and your wife.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I really enjoyed meeting you and your wife and to get to see the glean in your eye as you plan your safari is a great experience. I think you met some great people in the industry and the Charlotte show had a lot to offer in that regard. I also talked a lot with Marina and a more captivating and elegant lady I have not met. She even looked me up to introduce me to her her son Jofie.

I also got some of the "concern" commments about activity on AR and I think we can all take a lesson from it. I find myself guility of a recent post not related to the topic and after thinking about it realized that there are far more of them than there are of us and we must all stick together and than means not trying to win every word battle on this forum to try and be "right" or to win the point. I get a lot out of AR and have made a lot of friends here but that also comes with responsibiility and to always remember that we must preserve our right to hunt as well as our gun rights. To that end, we need to make all welcome on this forum and keep the debates on the positive or at least constructive. Most do so. I promise to do my best to lead by example.

In closing Matt, it was great to meet you and others. I hope we can all work to make this a bigger and better show.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with the Van Bergen's in South Africa.

They are super nice folks and they have a super comfortable camp. They will take good care of you also.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote