New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cabelas - Buffalo Specials
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
yea, and I am not saying I will never not use a booking agent again. In 2002 I hunted in Scotland; it was very inexpensive, but I learned that Hendry-Ramsey marks up the price of the stags - significantly. It isn't a lot of money, but it does kind rub me raw.

As for Cabela's, I have nothing but good things to say of Greg Severinson. Russell Seele, on the other hand, treated me almost flippantly - sent me somewhere where the conditions were terrible for that time of year, there were errors in billing/what was promised, etc. I wonder if he had ever been to the operation I hunted. I know GS had been to the one I booked with him.

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It send the message that SCI is all about money and not about ethics.

How could someone get that impression?
Sometimes I'm embarrased to be a member.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bowhunted in RSA this last July. There was a guy on his first trip to Africa. He and his wife where driving around with a PH shooting out of a truck. They had no Blinds on any of the properties they hunted. They had been there 4 days and had not shot an animal and seen very few. In that case Cabela's really lied to this guy. I will never book a hunt from Cabela's because of what I saw happen to this guy. There are plenty of good booking agents on this sight.
Mike

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I disagree with the statement that Cabela's "marks up" their hunts, at least not on the sheep hunt I went on this year. I originally got the price for the hunt through the outfitter, then a few months later talked to Cabela's about hunting the NWTs. They quoted the same price. Later in the conversation we realized we were talking about the same outfitter.

The way I look at it, everyone "marks up" the price including all the service providers here. You charge what you think the market will bear. If you find out you can't fill the hunt, you discount the price. If you fill-out quickly I bet the price goes up the next year. It's called capitalism, and it's a good thing. Finger pointing just makes everyone sound like used car salesmen.

Posts: 13811 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote