Elephant kills man on honeymoon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today: October 02, 2006 at 9:25:10 PDT

Elephant Kills Man on Kenya Honeymoon
By ANTHONY MITCHELL
ASSOCIATED PRESS

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - An elephant trampled and killed a British man on his honeymoon in Kenya, officials said Monday.

Patrick Smith, 34, was killed in front of his wife, Julie, in the Masai Mara National Reserve on Sunday, officials said. His wife managed to leap out of the way.

"He was trampled by an elephant while on a nature trail with his wife," said Connie Maina, spokeswoman for the Kenya Wildlife Service. "This is a terrible accident."

The couple had been married for just a week, Maina added.

They had arrived in Kenya for their honeymoon and were staying at the luxury Richard's Camp lodge in the game reserve. The camp is on the edge of a forest in the Masai Mara conservation area, about 100 miles southwest of the capital, Nairobi.

The couple set out for their nature walk Sunday morning and were with a Masai guide just 330 yards outside the camp when the elephant attacked, Maina said.

"We think the elephant must have been at very close proximity to the couple and was surprised," she said. "They don't normally do this kind of thing. It is terrible. The wife saw what happened. I am told the wife is OK but is shaken up."

Jake Grieves-Cook, chairman of the Kenya Tourist Board, said the elephant knocked over their guide but the wife escaped injury.

Tourist officials said the tented camp was closed for several days after the killing.

Kenya's elephant population is estimated at 35,000, down from a peak of 167,000 in the 1970s due to rampant poaching.

According to Kenya's Wildlife Service, the last tourist killed by an elephant in Kenya was in 2000. But there are frequent incidents between elephants and villagers in rural areas. In August, Kenyan officials shot dead a pair of rogue elephants who had killed four people in the north.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A very sad incident.
There are quite a few luxury camps in Kenya that offer walks with Masai guides armed only with a spear. Not quite an Elephant stopper hey.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I saw it on the national news tonight as well. Condolences to the new wife and families.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Was the Maasai "guard" armed? And with more than a spear?

While years ago when I was there in 1988 we had a Maasai guard too for our camp. And all he had was a spear.

And while we were there an elephant killed a women too, a local black woman.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
Kenya's elephant population is estimated at 35,000, ...

35,000!

They used to claim the population was only about 3,000-5,000.

35,000 would be a very viable population especially with the huge human population.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"He was trampled by an elephant while on a nature trail with his wife," said Connie Maina, spokeswoman for the Kenya Wildlife Service. "This is a terrible accident."

He had a few momemts of pain, versus having it go on for 55+ more years.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this is tragic, but I can't help myself.

"Elephant Kills Man on Kenya Honeymoon"

You'd think the bloody elephant would have something better to do with Mrs. Elephant. Roll Eyes

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote