THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    One Pissed-Off Buff & Some Lucky Hunters

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Pissed-Off Buff & Some Lucky Hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This was originally posted on another site:

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/...arges-hunters-video/

Whatever the PH was using, it appears to be very potent medicine, just in the nick of time.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Great clip.

PH was on the money with his shot.

Not sure what caliber the client was using.

Either bullet selection was off or his shooting was off.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1604 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ADRENALINE-RUSHER!!!
That buff was waiting...great footage!!! tu2
Thanks for sharing!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
JP sure did trust his back-up to not Francis Macomber him!!! Camera angle maybe? Well done.

Posts: 4865 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was filmed by Igala Productions owned by Puren and Janine Joubert. Puren was the first PH I hunted with in Africa. As fine a young man as you would want to know.

Posts: 41906 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Good shooting but looks as if there could have been nearly been an accident there?

Presume the client missed on numerous occasions?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9907 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was scary looking. Unless it was the camera angle the shooter in the green shirt was shooting very close to the right shoulder of the lead PH. I'll bet his ears were ringing! Makes you understand how accidents happen!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better shooting at first may have kept this a little less exciting.

Posts: 10300 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure why it took so many shots, but thankful everyone survived.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
When the first shot is not right on, 50 gallon of adrenaline can make for some exciting moments. OK, make that 12 gallons. Eeker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Glad everyone is ok in that clip. I would have to agree with the looks unsafe comments. The video is exciting but sure looks like a dangerous situation with shooting position.

I realize that things happen fast but shooting from behind another as a matter of course is a very dangerous reaction. It is in my mind one that you should train yourself mentally to avoid.

If you want to get in on the action step to the side and move forward. If you can’t then don’t shoot past someone.

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the client made a bad rushed first shot and as Andrew has already mentioned missing his running shots. The guy in the green should have never shot and JP can consider himself fortunate!! Its easy to see why a PH should have words with every client on how he wishes things to go down in case of a not so great shot and subsequent follow up.

Happy to see none was injured and an invaluable video for learning what not to do.

Posts: 624 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Good shooting but looks as if there could have been nearly been an accident there?

Presume the client missed on numerous occasions?

Yup! Sure looks that way.... on both counts.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you are not there, camera angles can make things seem different.

But, that buffalo should have been dead long before it charged.

I think this might be due to poor shooting, some intervening obstacles preventing the bullets hitting him.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67670 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are not there, camera angles can make things seem different.

That may well be.

However, and camera angle notwithstanding, the second shot was fired from behind and too close for comfort of the guy in front.
Even if the bullet doesn't get you, the muzzle blast will give you something to think about.

Bottom line: Unwise to go into that kind of a situation one behind the other and if there are multiple shooters in the deal, rather be off to one side.

All said and done I must admit I enjoyed that clip due to its originality, how the scene unfolds in an instant without knowing how, where and when; far more than the mass produced crap that appears on sale. Wink

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The PH did very well.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9907 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I would be pissed off in that situation, not because I would be afraid of the buffalo but there were too many with guns and no thought given to safety if there was a charge. The PH seemed to rush everything and if he was taking the hunter with him after the wounded buffalo then he should have had the hunter on his shoulder not stuck at the back behind two other PH's or hunters (couldn't tell who was who), otherwise leave the hunter out of it completely as he was anyway.

The whole scenario seemed very rushed to me with some poor, ineffectual and downright careless shooting at the end. As it was the buff holed up twice so there didn't seem the need to make a hurried follow up. I think everyone was lucky not to have been either shot or trampled.

Posts: 3886 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Please look at this

I had to fire a shot from behind my PH. I apologized later on, and he just said "that could not be helped"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67670 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed - after watching your video it seems your hunt and JP's are a little different in the fact that your Buffalo wasn't charging you but running to the side and away. A shot did not have to be taken as there was no real danger to yourself and your PH. JP's scenario was with a Buffalo at close quarters and a very close in your face encounter leaving only quick moments to decide how to act. I really enjoyed the fact that as your buff was moving left to right you lifted your barrel over the PH and not threw him, very well done and safety was first in your actions!

It's also easy to say this and that from the sidelines but the reality only happens when you yourself are presented with it first hand. Safety safety safety!!!

Posts: 624 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting video.

It appears that the guy with the green shirt shot a lot close to the PH. Emphasis on appears. It would be interesting to hear what those involved have to say.

I was involved with a somewhat similar situation in 2012. We went in some bad stuff after a crippled (not wounded) elephant. An appy shot right be my head. Trust me you will never forget it.

Posts: 12031 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which technique ?
Video showed hunter pointing gun and waiting for the buffalo to pass .
Second choice would be to aim ahead and swing with the buffalo and fire .
Third choice would be to swing through and fire as you pass the buffalo.
These are like shotgunning .Which do you prefer for rifke ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Video was certainly interesting.
Someone asked what gun the client was shooting. That question had me look at the video a couple of times.
From the appearance of only a moderate recoil of the client's rifle, I have to wonder if he was not using enough gun. This thought may be irrelevant based on client size, but when the client had to shoot the downed buff more than once (After PH put it down), it also brings into question shot placement and/or accuracy.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in a similar situation and shot from behind my ph his ears were ringing.
He thanked me and shook my hand my shot spined the Buffalo which was heading straight for him.
I can't think of a more dangerous situation than a close quarters charge with multiple guns.

Posts: 172 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote