Notify
Tools

NAPHA Statement
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just found this on the NAPHA Facebook site

Dear members, friends,
After a number of years of drought we finally had some rain in our arid country, and just look how thankful the earth is. The splendour of lush green fields. A real sight to behold in Namibia, the hidden diamond. But what a sad irony it is, to have these incredibly magnificent surroundings and nature for a change, but with no-one to share it with.
Suddenly I see advertisements for virtual tours of so many beautiful places, museums, cities and even holidays for us to buy or download during this horrible Covid Crisis era. A few weeks in and people cannot go without the stimulation (or simulation) of beauty.
But virtual tours will never substitute the warm rays of the sun on your back, the anticipation and sometimes fear of what lingers in front of you, or the lucky sight of a springbok pronking, or a flash of white as a kudu runs off in front of you.
How lucky are we, stuck in heaven I would say, (if you could see the sceneries surrounding me…)
But Africa, its wildlife and habitats are facing the biggest threat ever. And that is that our international hunters and friends are not visiting and experiencing Africa first hand. Namibia is so very much dependent on its hunting and photo tourism.
Our conservation success is based on the sense of ownership, and we, therefore, protect it fiercely. Are the foundations of this basis cracking?
These ideals are not possible without hunters. I fear that this country might go back to only livestock farming, into survival mode, where MAN IS everything and not PART of everything.
This is our test of the times. And I trust that we WILL pass the test. We will continue with the keeping and protection of nature. More importantly, and the essence of it all, is to continue to motivate, support and provide for the people on the ground that enable this.
In this time of Lent, we are for once literally FORCED to reflect, to stand still, to do serious self-examination:
Is what we are doing right, and good, and with pure intentions? Do we have enough respect for nature and its Creator? Do we follow our mandate that God, the Maker and Lord of everything has given us? Are we doing all of this for His glory alone or for ourselves? Where do our priorities lie? How much are we still going to play GOD over nature, and not allow Nature to do what it does best - to heal, and to be healed.
I know one thing today, and that is that God has inspired me to do everything that is meaningful in my life. There is nothing that drives our lives like the creativity of God and there is nothing that drives His creativity like nature!
God bless you and keep you all.
Danene van der Westhuyzen
President
Namibia Professional Hunting Association

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas