New
Find
Notify
Tools

Promising News On Malaria!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 68589 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saw that. It is indeed promising. Godspeed to the researchers, as stopping this ancient scourge is truly "the Lord's work."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16621 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Now we might have problem in Africa...with massive overpopulation

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

Now we might have problem in Africa...with massive overpopulation

Yep, starvation and overpopulation are already at the breaking point. Add another million each year to the current situation and a solution becomes unobtainable and Malaria will be the least of their problems.

We already had a solution to Malaria; it was called DDT.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes we did. When it comes back here....!maybe we can make it legal again........

Posts: 42337 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We sit out by our pool with friends quite often, having BBQs.

We get quite a bit of mosquitoes sometimes, and my wife buys all sorts of mosquitos repellent, all environmentally friendly!

I gave up on them, as most do not work.

So I have a small bottle of 100% DEET.

I spray a little bit on a wet wipe, and wipe it on all my exposed body.

Never get a single bite!

The kids love it too, because it works! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68589 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes and very effective it was until some bright spark announced it was toxic and be banned.

Back in my day I never heard of anyone dying from having sprayed it in their houses and
Tanzania had vast Pyrethrum fields and an extraction industry from which it manufactured its own insecticides for multiple uses.

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
DDT was responsible for decimating the Bald Eagle population. It caused thinning of their egg shells.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malaria kills 800,000 to one million people a year. It is estimated that it kills a child every 30 seconds or about 3000 children every day.

Do the math - Malaria has killed more people than DDT killed Bald Eagles.

Oh well...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malaria used to be present in North America. Washington's army at first refused to march from New England to Yorktown due to fear of it.

Interesting question (to me anyway): When and how was malaria eradicated from NA?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Malaria is African wildlife’s best friend. Only an idiot would eradicate it. Folks there is simply too many people in the world and growing. Kenya population in 1963 8.9 million. Today 53 million.

Posts: 3508 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
D.D.T. was the salvation of our armed forces in WWII. Our troops were decimated in the Pacific and Mediterranean theaters by malarial mosquitos and lice.

Untold tons of D.D.T. powder were distributed and dowsed on our men.

Those that survived the war and the mundane mishaps of civilian life died of old age.

Not D.D.T.

Still, when ingested by birds, it does adversely affect the strength of eggshells.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Malaria is African wildlife’s best friend. Only an idiot would eradicate it. Folks there is simply too many people in the world and growing. Kenya population in 1963 8.9 million. Today 53 million.

In 2050 100mil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting question (to me anyway): When and how was malaria eradicated from NA?

The how was ddt.

Posts: 42337 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was and is a huge politicization of DDT and the thinning of eggshells in raptors. It really depends upon who you want to believe. What we really know is that millions of people have been infected with malaria because DDT was taken off the market. Rachel Carson and her ilk doomed millions.

Posts: 55 | Location: TN | Registered: 20 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before the Colonial period, everything was in check. Tribal rivalries were discouraged. Diseases were eliminated. The population exploded. If you eliminate malaria, Africa's population will explode. There will be no more hunting. I know, not a cheery message. And maybe unkind. I don't want to eliminate malaria or the tsetse fly.

Posts: 10304 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Before the Colonial period, everything was in check. Tribal rivalries were discouraged. Diseases were eliminated. The population exploded. If you eliminate malaria, Africa's population will explode. There will be no more hunting. I know, not a cheery message. And maybe unkind. I don't want to eliminate malaria or the tsetse fly.

+1. The day malaria and tsetse flies are controlled will be a day that lives in infamy for African wildlife.

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote