Find
Notify
Tools

Best Time for Okavango?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted
When is the best overall time of the hunting season to hunt the Okavango Delta?

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
July - August is usually prime; but a lot depends on the yearly flood level. Some years early is better, some years later is better, but it's impossible to know more than a few months in advance.

Another important criteria is where you are hunting and what species you're targeting. In some areas game vacates when the water receds, in other areas game might be more concentrated after the water receds. Elephant and buffalo are especially migratory around the delta.

All in all, it's best to check with your PH and then double check his answer. Booking agents may say anything to book a hunt - trust but verify.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response Forrest. The optimal experience would be to visit the delta and shoot everything I see. Big Grin But, as like most folks, money plays a part, so buffalo, Kudu and Lechwe would be the main targets. I'm guessing lechwe would be fairly resident and have no idea about kudu. I also had no idea the buffalo there would be migratory as everytime I see on hunting in the delta on TV there are untold numbers running thru the water escaping the hunters or lions.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Late July to early August is indeed delightful. Frost in the early AM and 70 degree F bluebird afternoon the same day is common. Rain is rare then. Red lechwe is a must if you go and very affordable. I did not see kudu there, but lots of sable if you can afford a chocolate bull. Best tack on a Tuli block ranch hunt for the kudu, and other common PG.

My red lechwe, me wading barefoot to snap the instamatic after the digital batteries died:

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong in june july or august. I have been there in each month and have seen kudu, lechewe,inpala, warthog, tsessebe and buffalo each time. If pressed, I would schedule the end of July/ beginning of August.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went the last two weeks of the hunting season for elephant, hoping the lack of water would draw big bulls to the Delta. The Delta had unusually high water but the elephants were there. I saw a lot of other game. So don't rule out the first two weeks of September. The weather was nice but heating up. MUFASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
So Okavango kudu are smarter and more gray ghost-like, than Tuli Block kudu? Maybe they are bigger too, but I would not know, as I didn't spot any kudu on my Okavango trip. Frowner

This Tuli Block kudu was big bodied and had good mass to its 52" spirals that are unboddingtoned by the tilt back in the pose. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote