THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Best Mauser Action for a .404 custom?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Best Mauser Action for a .404 custom?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was checking out the Daly's they are made somewhere in the former yugoslavia and I've heard the quality is good.

Posts: 190 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd look for a commercial Whitworth or BRNO magnum action. The Whitworths are very nice. If looking for new, maybe a Charles Daly.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Carmelo,

It all depends on what kind of rifle you want to build.

As Ray says you can use either an M98 Mauser action, or you can go with a larger magnum action like the Chay Zed. The smaller action can be make up into a tidier rifle. Also you need to balance the action price to what sort of rifle you are thinking about. Are you thinking "cheep and cheerful", middle or full-on custom rifle? Short form: what is your budget?

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Carmelo

I would go for the DWM Modelo Argentino 1909 Mauser action that Ray also mentioned. I have several Mauser rifles and two of them is DWM 1909. The metal work on the DWM is just better craftmansship then on a normal Mauser action.
Of the two DWM actions I have the older one is by fare the best. It has production number A 00020, first run number 20
If you get the option on one study it closely and buy it if the price is right.
Please bair in mind that when Holland & Holland and Hartman & Weiss make a bolt action rifle they use a specialy selected DWM Modelo Argentino 1909

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
The two I bought was mint condition Argentinian army rifles from a army rifle collector. He could not keep his collection due to new gun law in Denmark.
Price was $700 for both. Please take in to consideration that the Dollar is very low compared to the Euro / DKR
I will post pictures of the rifles tomorrow.

I would think that $500 is about max that I would pay for a top quality DWM action. They are wirth is trust me.
I also have normal mauser action rifles fromObendorf and they are of poorer quality.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote