New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Greater Kruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of the private preserves adjacent to Kruger (without fences) offer hunts?

Or does Kruger have a policy that once incorporated into the park and the fences are dropped there can be no hunting?

Any info appreciated.

[URL= ]Greater Kruger[/URL]

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
There are some that have hunting, but every now and then Animal Rights Africa and other assorted mouldy green bunny huggers set up a squawking seranade in the press. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I know a reputable PH based in Hoedspruit named Jan Dumon who can provide you with a hunt in the Greater Kruger. His outfit is called Shumba Safaris, which unfortunately is a very common name for safari companies and he is not alone in using this name.

He can be contacted at e-mail mwshumba@mweb.co.za.

He also has a web site which he updates once every ten years whether it needs it or not.

http://www.shumbasafaris.com/intro.htm

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
The danish booking agency Diana Hunting Tours offers hunting at Makuya, which borders Kruger (as far as I know).
Here's a link: Makuya

A friend hunted buffalo and a couple of PG last year, and was very happy with the hole arrangement.

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Better yet, every now and again the Makuleke offer a DG hunt effectively within Kruger in the Crook's Corner area. That is the holy grail in my opinion and I recall a hunt being offered here on AR just a within the last year or so.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the current situation but I took my first buff in Klaserie in 2003 with Mafigeni Safaris.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tendrams a portion of Makuleke is right opposite my concession in Zimbabwe.

SteveGI - look on a google map at crooks corner, from there go west to the Bubi River - that is the south boundary of my concession in Zimbabwe and then north to just about Gonarezhou National Park. same great hunting with excellent elephant and great buffalo at better rates than RSA Kruger adjoining properties.

Heck just this morning i got a call of an elephant bull that was 80 plus pounds and may well go 100 depending on the nerve.... Kruger would never let that be shot in RSA

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458Aubs:
Tendrams a portion of Makuleke is right opposite my concession in Zimbabwe.

SteveGI - look on a google map at crooks corner, from there go west to the Bubi River - that is the south boundary of my concession in Zimbabwe and then north to just about Gonarezhou National Park. same great hunting with excellent elephant and great buffalo at better rates than RSA Kruger adjoining properties.

Oh, I know what you are saying as I have walked that fence (in as much as it can be called that) from the RSA side. I am booked for Namibia this year, but I watch your offers with great interest here on AR knowing that one of these days the right offer with converge with my available cash. I agree that these are the same buff and ele and that shooting one on the Zim side of the river will be a whole lot cheaper than paying the Makuleke for theirs. How are the Nyala in your area?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SteveGI - I've hunted several of the "Greater Kruger" areas over the past few years, very good hunting! As "Wink" mentions, Jan Dumon runs a fabulous outfit. I've hunted and booked numerous clients with Jan, he's first rate. If I can be of help with him, or my info/experience with others, please send me a PM.

Thank you,

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from hunting one of these areas. The letabo river separated us from the park and animals roamed freely to and from park. Elephants and cape buffalo were phenomenal. I saw one herd of buffalo of at least 200 and numerous elephant every day. Largest elephant we saw(shot) 70#. I also took a very nice buffalo. There is a really good opportunity for really big buffalo and a reasonable opportunity
for a really big jumbo. I hunted with and highly recommend fanie steyn with thaba Mmoyo
safaris.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The map! in the corner where the Balule meets the Klaserie ! My Africa, this is where I grew up and spent most of my conscious life !

This was home to me!

Long before the Balule came to be, before the Klaserie and the farms that became the Balule joined the Kruger.

We had friends in the Klaserie , Umbabat and the Timbavati, as a kid I shot my first lion here and my first buffalo, My first Giraffe fell on the farm Diepkloof deep in the Klaserie. and a little west of Hoedspruit, on the banks of the Blyde river under the shadow of the mountain my father gave my Wife and I a farm for a wedding gift, I farmed with mangoes.

It is good country !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately, I can't afford another hunt right now, but I'll keep all of your suggestions in mind for the future.

I spent about ten days in Kruger and Thornybush after a hunt about 8 years ago so I know quality of the game there. If I ever do get back to Africa (for the 7th time), I’m not yet sure where I’ll go but Aubrey's concession appeals to me because I’ve read about Gonarezhou “Place of Elephant” in some of Ron Thomson's writings. He led a culling team there awhile back and they shot over 2,500 elephant. I’m sure it’s still wild with loads of elephant.

The reason I asked the question is that I’m doing some research on protected areas in southern Africa and I just wanted to know what the SanParks policy was. I found the answer HERE.

Alf, all I can say is … what a life. I brought both of my sons to Africa when they were younger … as much to show them what life can be like as to hunt. Tried to move there myself but it didn’t work out. Still dreaming though.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

The signs of modern times, Casketts road from the R40 at the turn off from the Klaserie railway siding side. From here it is Kapama game reserve, in the earlier years many of the original farms were owned by friends and we used to hunt there every Winter.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
MAN, SOME PEOPLE HAVE ALL THE LUCK!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote