Notify
Tools

selous mk 1 with intercon safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted
Dear sirs,

what is your opinion about a 7-day buffalo hunt in the mk 1 block at the begin of november.

Outfitter would be intercon safaris.

What is the landscape in this block?
What trophy quality of buffalo can be expected?

How is mk 1 compared to the blocks r2 and r4?

Any experience with intercon?

I'm interested in 2 decent buffalos.
no plainsgame.

Thanks for your input!

Rgds,
Andy

Posts: 120 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be very carefully to hunt MK1. Lots of poaching and plenty of camps and hunting activity from many different PH and hunting companys !!!

R4 is IMO very difficult for buffalo i saw in 7 days no buff track or a single buffalo. R2 is the best of this 3 Hunting Blocks for buffalo. Mayby PVT hunts exclusively there but not sure.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
My hunting partner and I hunted MK1 in Oct. 06. The camp, service, and food were all very good. The daytime and nightime temperatures were quite warm and everything was greening up rapidly, as there was also some rain.
We were hosted by Pierre Van Tonder safaris booked through Jeff Martinell at(www.luxuryhunts.com). My partner and I had Wickus Groenwald for our PH and our close friends hunted with Clinton Van Tonder and they were both knowledgeable, energetic, and capable.
Buffalo were encountered daily so you should be successful in taking a buff in the 38-40 inch range. Expect most of the bulls in the herds to be a bit soft still. There are world class wildebeest in the grassy plains.
As the other gentleman indicated we did encounter poachers on about day 4 of our hunt with the game scout shooting in the air to frighten them and one of their dogs attacking our tracker. We had a great time however!
Regards,
Adrian

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
I don't remember having seen 7-day, 2-buff hunts. I thought 2-buff hunts were usually 10-day hunts. bewildered

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I am looking at a 7 day 2 buff + plains game in the Selous with Con van Wyk Safaris Limited for October 2007.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy--Try using the search function and do one on intercon. I'm pretty sure you will find some info and not all of it flattering. From the postings intercon is a clearing house for suitcase PHs.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote