Find
Notify
Tools

January or February in Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
My wife asked if I wanted to go to Minorca or someplace to get some sun and recharge vitamin D levels in January or February, I said "sure,but it will rain how about Namibia or maybe Dubai".

When I lived in Spain it was not uncommon to have a week of rain all winter long. So we need a better plan.

Anyone ever been to Namibia in January or February?

Anybody have a good line on a safariesque place to stay in the UAE that would allow small children? I found one but it was $1800 a night for our crew of 5. Kind of blows the budget in 3 days.

Posts: 7780 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cape Town, February

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. It is a great time to go to Namibia. If you are into photography at all, it is by far the best time to go. Also, since it will be nice and toasty, most Namibians holiday along the coast, so places like Etosha are nearly empty and you can find lodging most anywhere. Swakop will be quite busy, but you can still find rooms at the Strand and the high end B&B type places.

December is more of a challenge as many places close for the month. You can still find lodging without any problems as long as you plan ahead.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plettenberg Bay (once known as Bahia Formosa which you should be able to translate)

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2929 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not quite what you are after, but that's a perfect time to chase eland in northern Cameroon

Posts: 10912 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Herr Butler,

Would you bring 3 kids under 6 to a Cameroon buffalo camp?

Posts: 7780 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't have kids, so nope.

Like I said, not quite what you were looking for. There were lots of tourists on the coasts then, mostly French folks. If it's more a family vacation, Cameroon is not the best bet... but the hunting is unique.

Posts: 10912 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
My wife asked if I wanted to go to Minorca or someplace to get some sun and recharge vitamin D levels in January or February, I said "sure,but it will rain how about Namibia or maybe Dubai".

When I lived in Spain it was not uncommon to have a week of rain all winter long. So we need a better plan.

Anybody have a good line on a safariesque place to stay in the UAE that would allow small children? I found one but it was $1800 a night for our crew of 5. Kind of blows the budget in 3 days.

I "should" really know the answer, but freely admit that I don't. Old age! Big Grin So I'll just ask here: In January & February the sun and cancer causing (or promoting) ultra violet light is very hot/high in our southern midsummer. So the liberal application of a high protection factor sunscreen before going out into the sun is really a wise precausion. My question is however: Does the aplication of a high protection factor sunscreen significantly deminish the synthesis of vitamin D in the skin?

But that aside, I can think of many ways to entertain a hunter, and in articular one who does not regard a tape measure as of equal or greater importance than a rifle on a hunting trip, to give wife and kids a great time in sunny South Africa and at the saame time allow the hunter a lot of fun stalking, out-smarting and/or out-patienceing, and then shooting at lesser game animals of species like monkeys, hyrax and crows and other that are not usually listed on hunting outfitters' price lists.

Best of luck and great successs with your planning!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibia, particularly northern can be oppressively hot those months and if you are towards Caprivi humid with showers. Lived thru a summer in Caprivi. Kruger area is also very hot and showers. Western Cape is great. Maybe try eastern Cape hunting. Zulu land also awful except when air conditioned. Also remember Caprivi, Zim, KP and Zululand at that time its malaria season.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

Namibia is CLOSED to Trophy Hunting the months of December and January, but reopens February 1st. Per the NAPHA website:

Essential information on hunting in Namibia. The Namibian Trophy Hunting season opens on February 1 and closes on November 30 of each year. Clients should ensure that they are booked and will be hunting with a registered Namibian operator, as well as a registered Namibian hunting professional.
NAPHA - Namibia Professional Hunting Association: Trophy Hunting ...
www.napha-namibia.com/legal-in...-hunting-in-namibia/

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1387 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote