New
Find
Notify
Tools

Master Gunmaker Roger Biesen
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
Many of us have carried our various Al and Roger Biesen custom rifles with us, with pride, on various safaris, and hunts all over the world. Jack O'Connor was a keen follower and user of Biesen rifles and used his on many mountain sheep hunts as well.

It is with a heavy heart that I report that Roger Biesen recently passed away from heart failure at his home in Spokane, Washington. He had retired after some serious knee issues, however returned to his bench after successful knee replacement surgeries, creating more fine custom rifles.

Roger was preceeded by his father, Al Biesen only by a few years. His loving wife Sharon of 56 years, and daughter Paula Malicki, a talented master engraver are mourning his passing.
I remember the Biesen family coming to our SCI NW Chapter annual fundraisers in the early 80s...we would returned the support of the Spokane Chapter events...just big friendly family events...and later to annual Jack O'Connor Heritage Museum fundraising events. Just all great people.
Roger worked closely with the JOC Board and produced a number of SPECTACULAR Custom rifles for museum fundraising events.
It is my opinion that Roger took the famous Biesen design and quality to a step higher, a pinnacle of the Biesen legacy.
They will be missed, their fine custom rifles are a tribute to this fine family.

GODSPEED ROGER...we will miss you...and your Father.

In respect of the AR policy of posting links, you may Google Roger Biesen and you will find his obit and link to leave messages for the family. You will also find a SPOKANE REVIEW newspaper article.

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
What sad news. Over the years I was privileged enough to have owned a couple of rifles that were made by Al and Roger. Both Al and Roger were true gentlemen to deal with and the gun world is a poorer place without them.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this! RIP.

I bet father and son are embracing each other right now.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
YES, with Wife/Mom Genevieve too.....
There will be some great heavenly fireside chats with Jack O'Connor and alot of old mountain guides and PHs too!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote