New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .458 Lott
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You just don't need a flatter shooting cartridge than a 30-06 in most of Africa. For the most part, you will do better with heavy for caliber bullets at moderate velocities. Ranges are usually 200yds. or less in most of southern Africa. Usually shots are more like 75-150yds. Obsessing about high velocity and ultraflat trajectory is a uniquely American pastime. Just take a good ol' 30-06 with 180 or 200 grainers, sight in for 200 yards and shoot directly at what you want to hit.

Good Luck,
Geronimo

Hey wait a minute, I'm starting to sound like Ray Atkinson!!!

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of them that I've used quite a bit. They have been absolutely trouble free, except that the triggers on both needed adjustment. Both shoot well and feel good to me.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have two, and love them both.

One of them is a 220 Swift. The only problem I have with that rifle is that I never see it. My Pa has commandeered it to assist him in his battle against the coyotes on his bison ranch.

The other is my 470 Mbogo, which Dave E. built by boring out a M77 Mk II Magnum that was chambered to 416 Rigby. Here is a pic....

Cheers,

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote