Find
Notify
Tools

Is this the Coolest Impala Ever?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted
I just returned from an excellent hunt with one of my outfitters in Namibia and another in South Africa. I shot a huge leopard and lioness, a 43" gemsbok, and a bunch of other stuff, but I really dig this impala. What do you guys think?

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very cool!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now if you could just make the other horn look the same!

I would like to hear more about the lioness.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
We hunted the lioness on a 77,000 acre ranch in the Northwest Province of South Africa. We found the tracks on the third day and hunted it all afternoon, then came back the next morning.

After about 2 hours, we found a black wildebeest it had killed the night before and knew we were close. We trailed it through two more fences onto a neighboring ranch. We got to a patch of tall grass and hopped into the Cruiser for safety's sake. Shortly, it jumped out from a bush that was literally brushing up against the Cruiser. Though it was only 3 feet from me, I never saw it until it moved. I hopped out and ran around a tree for a better view and dropped the 227 kilo female at about 50 yards on the run.

Hunting the lioness was far more exciting than tracking male lions because the females tend to have a lot more endurance and are generally more aggressive.

Now I know how many on this forum feel about South African lion hunts, and I couldn't agree more, but this is a damn good hunt. It is not one of those drop-and-pop operations you hear about. The lions live free on the ranch for at least a year and are entirely self-sufficient. My client tracked one nice male for a day and lost it, then it took 2 more days to find the tracks of another suitable male. As you can see from the pic, it was a big cat with a nice mane, but it was not one of those blow-dried beauties so many outfitters offer.

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
Greats pics.

Now tell us about the Leopard???

Keith

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I posted a hunt report and pics in the hunt report section, but it was a lot of fun chasing hounds up and down the mountains in Namibia. And the cats were huge.

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

You need to stop by and see the new office one day. I am right off 59 in Sugar Land, a block down from the Comerica Bank building

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That horn is wild, I like it!

Posts: 30 | Location: Coeur d Alene, Idaho | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That impala has a lot of character, candidate for the Outer Circle award.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Since you asked... I really don;t care for the freaks of nature. I really like good sized representative animals, without any weirdness. like some of those pics of the record monster cow buffalo. I think they kind of look obscene and I would not shoot one. I also really like older animals that show character with age and who wear their life stories with scars and worn horns/antlers. I know this guy has had his own interesting life with that horn, but he'd have a pass around me. If you like him though, good enough! To each his own said the old lady as she kissed the cow...

_Baxter

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Baxter,

I like a classic impala, too, but I've killed dozens of them. The freak really tickled me. Interestingly enough, the client who was with me had never killed an impala and declined it. He took a fine 23" ram later that day, but regretted passing the freak after seeing it up close.

But, as they say, different strokes...

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Greg,

Congrats on another great hunt!!

The impala looks like the after picture following a "Texas Saturday Night"!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like knowing there are people out there that will cull those things. Not my cup of tea. (Lion hunt either.)

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg,

The Impala is cool, not everybody has one like that.
The lion hunt sounds pretty cool too.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg R:
... What do you guys think?

I'd call it a cull, but everyone to their own.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Darn, an opening big enough to drive a semi through and no one took it. Well, its Saturday night, I have some bourbon, so I'll do it.
NO, I prefer the 1961 and 1962 Impalas better, especially the 62 SS409.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Here is one of my favourites your impala is unique and nobody has one like yours. there is no way your trophy can be lost at the taxidermy

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg R
I just returned from an excellent hunt with one of my outfitters in Namibia and another in South Africa. I shot a huge leopard and lioness, a 43" gemsbok, and a bunch of other stuff, but I really dig this impala. What do you guys think?

I think he's signalling that he's going to slow down or stop. If he were in the States he's be signalling that he's going to make a right turn.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
375 fanatic,

You almost missed him too! But a near miss is sometimes better than a near hit!

Greg R,

Do you know what will really spoil your fun? If your taxidermist decides all by himself to "fix" that odd horn and returns a shoulder mount with two beautiful symmetrical horns! rotflmo

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I would kill him!!!

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
That's one of a kind, all right.

I bet all the other impalas made fun of this one.

Big Grin

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Nice Impala !!i hav also shot some dussins and now more and more looks for Trophies with Karakter so if you presents a 23 inch beside a 23 with a broken horn well lets say the 23 with 2 horns survives jumping

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
Interesting trophy. Any clues as to what caused the abnormality? Injury or birth defect?

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
The base on the crooked horn looked like it had been damaged when it was a young ram. It was completely healed and solid, but clearly the childhood whack affected the direction of horn growth.

If anyone cares, the normal side measured 21 3/4". The crazy side measured 23 3/4 inches.

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
VERY cool Greg. After you have shot a number of plainsgame, looking for broken horn or freaky trophies like this guy can keep it fun and challenging. We looked over hundreds of impala to "find" this guy in the Save.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
375 fanatic,

You almost missed him too! But a near miss is sometimes better than a near hit!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

that is the exit wound was shot from the front

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg R:

The only way I'd shoot that thing is for lion bait! thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
How many times does one get to shoot an animal that has a ready-to-shoot bow on its head? Just string that sucker up, get some arrows and there you go!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Greg

The cats you guys got are are fantastic. But your impala sucks my friend! rotflmo I should have saved this sable for you last year. No seriously, your impala is rather unique ...

By the way, the guy on my right is one of our skinners - Lorenzo. In case you were wondering about the completely dazed look on his face ... that is what a man with 7 wives and 25 children looks like. (Really!)

Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,

Nice trophies. I love the impala and look for the unusual myself.

Johan,

You have work to do. No posting pics and playing on the computer.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Johan,

I would have shot that sable in a second Cool

Well done, Bill.

Thanks to those of you who offered kind words. To those who didn't like it, I can only say thanks, because guys like you left it there for me to shoot.

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
When I go back, I would consider shooting assymetricals. I saw some very fine animals with damaged or broken horns that I would have been proud to stalk had I not been such a greenhorn.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
Jim shot this eland in Namibia. One of its horns looks like the tip of the torch that the Statue of Liberty holds. I like it better than the others he has taken just because it is different.

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I once dated a gal that had hair like that. She was not a keeper like yours though.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
The reason why the imp bent his horn

mad running

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would shoot that IMpala in a second.

Very unique.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote