Find
Notify
Tools

.270WIN on plains game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted
It looks like I may be going to SA this summer for a plains game hunt. I'd like to take my Ruger .270 as I am the most familiar with it. The largest game would be a Kudu. It's mostly used with 130gr Swift bullets. Should I consider the 140 grain Sierra or stay with the 130 gr bullet? I have a 338-06, would that be a better choice? I'm going with some friends who are after Sable and a few other animals. For me just a pleasant trip, and some antelope.
I really don't want to buy a new rifle just for this trip. Thanks, this forum has be most helpful to me. Thanks to all who contribute to it.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've used my 270 with 150 Gr. Nosler Partitions on Impala, Warthog, Springbuck, and Blesbok all with good results. Since Kudu are on your menu, I'd step up to the 150 Gr. bullet and definately use a premium bullet.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2317 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine went to Africa and took all of the above minus kudy with 150 gr rem core lock bullets, all 1 shot kills.

He put the bullets where they needed to be.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
It won't work! Big Grin .375 or better yet double rifle or nothing! Have fun on your hunt.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
You'll be fine. If the locals use 270's and .308W's with 150's you will have no problem. Practise, practise, practise with what you've got at all ranges out to 250yds.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Your .270 will work fine for any plainsgame -- but you'd be better off using a handgun so that all that practice will help you prepare for future handgun hunts for DG.

Just sayin'

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Thanks I had not thought about the 150gr bullet. I'll get some 150's and look into some loads for them. I appreciate your drawing off your experiences to answer so quickly. Thanks again.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
<The Artistry of Wildlife>
posted
It's the rifleman in you that decides your fate.
I've dropped Multiple Kudu and Sable, Waterbuck, Wildebeeste and Eland and everything smaller on 5 trips so far with a .270 150gr. 130gr. for the mid to small stuff 100 to 450 yrds
42 hits and 42 DEAD, never lost an animal
Knock some wood!

Producing the Highest Quality Custom Wildlife Mounts with less than 90 Working Day Delivery.
Visit our Studio Online at:
The Artistry of Wildlife
"2009 World Champions"
"Best in World Combined Artists"
World Taxidermy Championships

Email:
info@artistryofwildlife.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with many PH's at the DSC convention this weekend. I shoot a 270 WSM.

On plainsgame, with the exception of Eland, most stated the 270 WSM would be fine with some hesitancy. Some stated they would like to see me use a 300 Win Mag. instead of the 270 WSM. I think many of them are not aware of the energy (joules) of this cartridge.

However, well known and respected PH Brent Hein from Zim and the Bubye Valley Conservancy did not hesitate telling me the 270 WSM was an excellent choice on everything except Eland. He told me that I could use his 300 it. I am hoping to hunt with Brent for plainsgame in the Buybe in 2011.

Nosler makes a 160 grain Partition in .277, if you hand load your own cartridges.

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Since you already have the .338-06 why not use it? It will give you an edge over the .270 and that edge would be useful on Kudu, Zebra, Sable and Eland. Last thing you want is to wound one of these and spend a day tracking and perhaps not recover the trophy.

In any event, use heavy for caliber bullets and be sure they are premiums such as the Swift A-Frame.

Enjoy and best of luck.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The .270 will work with proper bullets and proper shot placement. I've shot many a plains game with it, including Kudu. I prefer the new .140 grain Trophy Bonded, but there are many good premium bullets for it out there.