New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hurricane Ivan
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am writing this message from a boarded up house in Ft. Walton Beach Fl, about 100 miles east of Mobile. Spent yesterday boarding up all the doors and windows. Tomorrow afternoon and Friday we will clean up the mess and store the boards, and Saturday we are off to Atlanta to catch the Bus to Namibia on Monday. Not great timing, but it could be worse. It's is 1600hrs and all we have had so far is some moderately heavy rain and 20-30 mph wind gusts. Will keep you posted. Bob @ hurricane central

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I am writing this message from a boarded up house in Ft. Walton Beach Fl, about 100 miles east of Mobile. Spent yesterday boarding up all the doors and windows. Tomorrow afternoon and Friday we will clean up the mess and store the boards, and Saturday we are off to Atlanta to catch the Bus to Namibia on Monday. Not great timing, but it could be worse. It's is 1600hrs and all we have had so far is some moderately heavy rain and 20-30 mph wind gusts. Will keep you posted. Bob @ hurricane central

If you can please post updates as to the condition there. I own a condo right next to you in Palm Court Yacht Club right across the water from Ricks Crab Shack. At least I did have one hope I still do after tonight. I am leaving on the 25th the last thing I need is to have a clean up at the Condo.

Good luck on riding it out I hope all will go well with you.

James F. Nixon III

Posts: 39 | Location: North GA. | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, We are over in Blue Water and all we've had so far has been some rain and minor wind squalls. I can hear pine cones hitting the boards. Will get back in the am with report.Bob

Administrator
posted Hide Post
WE will pray for your safety and the safety of all who are going to be affected by Ivan.

Your area seems to have more than its fair share of bad weather this year.

Posts: 67423 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
James, back on line. We were without power for 20 hours and we were the first to regain it. Virtually all of FWB and Destin are without power. Hwy 98 between the Brooks and Destin bridges is out. The I-10, hwy 90 and hwy 98 bridges over P-Cola bay are out. Don't know about anything east of the Mid Bay bridge due to the curfew/bridge closure. I did see a film clip of Pompano Joe's and it's toast. I will try to get over to 98 tomorrow to access the damage. Still have some roof repair to do here before leaving for Atlanta. I will get back to you tomorrow. Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

James, back on line. We were without power for 20 hours and we were the first to regain it. Virtually all of FWB and Destin are without power. Hwy 98 between the Brooks and Destin bridges is out. The I-10, hwy 90 and hwy 98 bridges over P-Cola bay are out. Don't know about anything east of the Mid Bay bridge due to the curfew/bridge closure. I did see a film clip of Pompano Joe's and it's toast. I will try to get over to 98 tomorrow to access the damage. Still have some roof repair to do here before leaving for Atlanta. I will get back to you tomorrow. Bob

Bob thanks,

Looks like the island I am on might have taken the brunt of it, not to good for me. I saw a report from the base of the brooks bay bridge looked like the dry storage building was hit pretty hard and I am just the other side of the bridge one street down from the Fudpuckers on the Island. The good thing is we have park under parking so looks like the flooding wasn't a problem, just hope the glass stayed in and the roof on. The county web site says they "MAY" let residents in on SUN.

Glad to hear you made it out all right I am assuming with no major damage. What a way to start a Safari rding out a huricane. Let me know if you have any down time in ATL Sun before you depart on MON I owe you a few drinks.

James F. Nixon III

Posts: 39 | Location: North GA. | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, Give me the name of your condo and, if they lift the curfew tomorrow morning, I'll cruise over for a look. Send me a pm with your Atlanta #. Bob

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
My brothers house in Gulf Shores got nailed by Ivan. Apparently it is still standing. Water damage is undetermined but he is only 3 miles from the beach.

500,000 people lost power in Birmingham where he evacuated to. Luckily his family was spared that there.

I live on one of the islands next to Hilton Head South Carolina and now Jeanne is apparently looking at this coast.

What a year for hurricanes!

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Georgia yesterday; flew thru Atlanta. Bumpy ride...

Going back to GA on Sunday; glad I live in the desert. Anyone have any ideas for a guy stuck in Augusta?

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
This from the front page of today's Boston Globe:

Unbelievable! Good luck and best wishes to all who were unlucky enough to be in the path of this one!

Posts: 13476 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote