Find
Notify
Tools

Real world .375 H&H experience
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted
I know it is a very popular round (I love it for elk). But I am wondering who on this forum has real world experience using it on dangerous game and what your experiences were like. I think JudgeG in his DVD was using one for buffalo. You hear people saying it is marginal for elephant. I was wondering who has actually used it on them. I read an article by Tony Sanchez-Arino and he says it is great. For those that have used it for DG how did you have it loaded.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WyoJoe:

First Cape Buffalo 9/2004 Zimbabwe .375 H&H pre 64 Winchester Model 70. Heart and lung shot at about 60 yards using 300 grain Swift A-Frame. Buff went about 500 yards at a full run then dropped dead. .375 is the smallest caliber allowed/recommended for Cape Buffalo. I also issued the insurance shot which is also recommended! I was quite pleased with the performance since this was my first encounter with African dangerous game.

Regards,

Rick L. Webb

Posts: 64 | Location: Anderson California USA | Registered: 22 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"In dealing with outsized bulls, charging from close quarters, I cannot remember a single instance where the results obtained by the super-heavies could not have been duplicated by a good medium or light heavy such as the 375 or 404." John Burger "Horned Death"

"Undoubtedly one of the deadliest weapons in existence.....Altho my formula gives this rifle a Knock-Out value of 40 points, I must regretfully admit that does not really do full justice to it. In actual practice the stopping power of the .375 Magnum would seem to warrant a higher classification." John Taylor "African Rifles & Cartridges"

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Capstick's videos take Elephant, white rhino, Lion, Cape Buffalo, and Giraffe as well as other plains game with the "three seven five" and I must say that the results are impressive when the shooter does his job.

PHC was quite positive about the cartridge.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote