Elgin Gates Big Ivory
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted
This is an excellent read as told to Ken Howell by Elgin Gates

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/gates_elephant.html

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Oh to have been there. Thanks

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have heard bits and pieces of this story over the years, but I don't think I have ever heard or read the whole thing before now. What an epic!

Elgin Gates was truly hard core. I remember a story he wrote for one of the magazines about being chased up a tree by a wounded cape buffalo. Gates had somehow lost his rifle but was packing a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum loaded with armor piercing bullets. He used it to dispatch the buff by firing down on him from the branches of the tree!

Thanks for posting this.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Elgin Gates book and reread it quite often. If I remember correctly I had to order it from England and pay in pounds. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading his books vey much.

I remember there was some controversy about his kudu and probably sable trophies.

If I remember correctly, he had his hands on the horns as he had the photos taken, and some claimed that he used the horns of two animals to get that picture.

Anyone knows what the end result was?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68678 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Saeed: Regarding the kudu & sable you mention, all I can tell you is they were withdrawn from Rowland Wards. Cheers, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed ----- I was not aware of other books. If you would be kind enough to name them or authors if not Gates, perhaps I could find them on my own. Thanks in advance for any help you might be. Good shootig.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
His book, "Trophy Hunter in Asia." may be the best Hunting Book I have ever read.

I met him once when he lived in Boise. He was a friend of friend of my Dad's. The Animal Rights crowd burned down his home in Needles, California and he lost all his stuff that was there.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
We carry on about shooting a ele with solids and the one super ele shot with a 200 Weatherby and 180 or 200 gr bullets... I love it...

I also read that story before, but trying to remember where I found it...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
We carry on about shooting a ele with solids and the one super ele shot with a 300 Weatherby and 180 or 200 gr bullets... I love it...

I also read that story before, but trying to remember where I found it...

Mike

Partitions I believe

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
If you read his book "Trophy Hunting In Africa," he relates one hunt where he used a then experimental cartridge on elephant, a 378 Weatherby necked down to 30 caliber. That was in 1959. Great read. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Wonder why Gates is always eulogized, while poor ol' Peter Capstick gets knocked at every turn?

Gates never saw an adjective or synonym he didn't like. He overused and abused his thesaurus so much that it could be argued that he slept with it.

My only contact with the guy was when he came to town and watched the Tucson Rifle Club's and NRA's first U.S. Metalicas Siluetas Championships and, because I was the local newspaper's outdoor writer then, he pumped me for information about the sport. To his credit, he did pay for my coffee.

When he returned to California, he announced that after competing in metalicas siluetas matches for years he now was adapting it for handgunners.

I'd been shooting in the Sonora rifle league for more than three years then, and can tell you no one down there had ever heard of him.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember there was some controversy about his kudu and probably sable trophies.

If I remember correctly, he had his hands on the horns as he had the photos taken, and some claimed that he used the horns of two animals to get that picture.

Anyone knows what the end result was?

There has been a lot of BS with the record books over the years. Gates had some trophies that were deemed to be "questionable."

I wish someone would post a photo of this 180 pound ivory. I have seen a picture in the past and I had a hard time believing that it was as heavy as claimed.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another Weatherby award winner who possibly cheated???? No, not the "honorable" Mr. Gates! It can't be true !!! Not THE Legend!!!

Paul C

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I can't understand why these people need to cheat with their trophies ?? Eeker bewildered

Thanks God they don't have photoshop in those days !!!!

Poor people...

Once I was told by an argentinian guide that there was a red deer in an very small enclosure, it was a pet animal.

When the animal reached I don't know how many "points" a phone call was made and an american went there. The enclosure was so small that the man shoot it from outside resting the barrel of his rifle between the wires.

They measured it, they took pictures and he returned home and enter it in some record book.

Amazing..

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read this book called "Safari, Safari" about a Doctors Safari in Botswana. I think he hunted with Safari South or one of the other big operations. He said that his PH claimed that Gates was a cheater and a fraud and it was well known in Africa or something to that effect. I forget the name of the PH but he was well known and I know I saw this PHs name mentioned in the book "The Hunting Blackbeards of Botswana" as well.

I'll look it up tonight.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GeoffM24 - I have heard similar stories about the founder of SCI and other " Award " winners. Some of the allegations where things like changing tags on trophys in lockers in Nairobi, throwing greater kudu horns in a river because of not being 60" just short at 58", paying or trying to pay PH's to hunt in an area not allowed. It is too bad that this happens, but it is usually the hunters with big egos and deep pockets that seem to try to get away with this. I have posted here before about sharing a Calif. wild boar camp with one of these guys about 15 years ago and I was so disgusted by the pompous ass and his supposed conquests, I damn near puked.

Paul C

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure Gates was a fraud. An egomaniac maybe. Like most of these guys wanting the biggest and the best.

Most rich people have a huge ego about showing off their wealth. Whether it is in the best Hunting trophies, the most expensive cars, the prettiest women, nicest house etc etc. They all like building monuments to their own Greatness.

They have egos that get stroked in different ways.

Gates, to my knowledge did cheat on a Kudu. Klineburgers, in Seattle, added some inches to it and you can see it in the picture. Note that the only picture is of a mounted head.

His Elephant was the real deal though. No one in his right mind can ever accuse him of not being an superb hunter and being afraid to get into the Bush. He hunted Africa several times for the trophies but he never liked it as he always felt that most Safaris were for spoiled brats who needed their hand held and couldn't get by on 'beans and beef'.

Everyone has flaws, even Peter Capstick has been accused of fluffing his resume'. Roll Eyes

Gator

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
>>>>>>"'m not sure Gates was a fraud?>>>>>>>

Many have often said that Gates fabricated wild tales about his hunts, doctored photos of his trophies, and lied in print and in person to one and all about his accomplishments. Egomania caused him to do this, of course, but he became an unadulterated fraud if he went beyond mere "fluffing."

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
>>>>>>"'m not sure Gates was a fraud?>>>>>>>

Gates fabricated wild tales about his hunts, doctored photos of his trophies, and lied in print and in person to one and all about his accomplishments. Egomania caused him to do this, of course, but he became an unadulterated fraud when he went beyond mere "fluffing."

Bill Quimby

Bill I can think of a dozen people off the top of my head that have been awarded the Weatherby Award or SCI's Hunter of the Year that have done far more of that than Gates.

I bet you can think of a few also. Wink

Gator