Find
Notify
Tools

White Bongo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Check this out: White Bongo. Apparently this is a photo of a White Bongo bull in C.A.R. from a scouting camera. They estimate him at roughly 32 inches! That would be a unique addition to a trophy room!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I saw that a couple months ago. Amazing how it has survived this long. Would be a great trophy.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I was there, in the CAR, 2 weeks ago. I met JP Bernon clients and they (like me) didn't shoot any bongo.
Jean Pierre Bernon is a famous Outfitter, the manager of Club Faune, he is collecting clients from everywhere in the world. He is running the hunting forum "Chassons.com".
He is a qualified PH too.
This picture was displayed in the premier french hunting magazine "connaissance de la chasse".
I am sure this bongo is yet booked by a wealthy record-class trophies collector.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jean Pierre told me in Reno the photo was taken by one of his PH's as he was sitting at a salt lick with a client, hoping to bag a Giant Forest Hog.

By the way, the date on the picture is December 30th, 2005... so where did you see it "a couple of months ago", Bulldog563? When was it in "Connaissance de la Chasse?"

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
Jean Pierre told me in Reno the photo was taken by one of his PH's as he was sitting at a salt lick with a client, hoping to bag a Giant Forest Hog.

My God! Were I that client, I think I would have started counting my pennies as I thumbed off the safety. cheers Were there licensing issues at play here. I am surprised that animal wasn't taken on the spot!

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I saw it on the Hunting report first. Couple months was just a guess. Must have been a month or so.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
Were there licensing issues at play here.

Yes, there was none for bongo! Big Grin

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AARG! That's the kind of thing to make a PH (or client) pull his hair out ! Like seeing a WR quality animal 10 minutes after shooting the last one on license. Big Grin

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Enough to give you nightmares.

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:

By the way, the date on the picture is December 30th, 2005... so where did you see it "a couple of months ago", Bulldog563? When was it in "Connaissance de la Chasse?"

Frans

Frans,
It's in the last issue of "Connaissance de la chasse", say january.
I am happy it happens in JP Bernon territory, I think this guy desserves it.
Precisely, It happened on the territory run by Christophe Lemee. I hopped there the 8th january, en route to Kotto Safari 20 minutes further by plane. Back, I met all the hunters because there is only a weekly flight between Europe and Bangui. Nobody told me of the white Bongo, nobody has shot it.
Remember that last year on this territory, N'Goumbini,was shot the new so-called?? world record eland

Rich, tomorrow when in my office I'll post the "Connaissance de la chasse" page and the translation.

J B de Runz

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Frans,

The report on this bongo is in the last issue of connaissance de la chasse, january.
The bongo was seen on the acp PH Chistophe Lemee's territory, N'Goumbiri. I was there the 8th january, hopping en route to Kotto Safari, 20 minutes further by plane. When back, the 23th january, I met every hunters in the CAR, because there is only one weekly flight between Bangui and Europe. Nobody told of this white bongo, let alone it being shot.
In fact Christophe was with his hunteress Anne Marie Fournigault looking for Giant forest hogs on a saltlick. At 8 AM they saw 3 bongos, one was clearer but they believed it was mud.
"Spoors indicated at least 2 males The morrow afternoon, the 30th december 2005, on this saline, at 5 PM the white bongo showed up like a ghost. It's no albino for its eyes aren't red. A recessive gene makes it white (???not very scientific, my opinion) . Facing the animal, it looks like an Adax. It's almost white even though one can guess some stripes whiter and darker hair on the back. It stayed during more than 30 minutes in the saltlick, just at 20-30 yards from the high stand. A pity the canopie's shadow and the oncoming night didn't allow us to take better pictures."
Christophe says that he is accustomed to judge bongos, he made shot quite a lot of old bongos, and this bongo is a mature one. The lyre-shaped horns are very symetric, the lenght 32 inches at least.

Remember that last year it's on this outfit that the (so-called) ??new world record Derby eland was shot by an American.

J B de Runz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jean! I met the gentleman that shot the world record Lord Derby Eland and spoke with him for a long time, last year at SCI. He was there again this year, but we only exchanged a few words... I'm trying hard to remember his name, not having my records at my disposal (..."Hastings" I seem to remember...?) The eland he shot apparently broke the record by several inches.

Lots of surprises still out there, in the jungle.

Frans

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
It does look huge but it also appears he is sitting pretty far behind it so hard to really judge the size.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/trophy_gallery.cfm?id=210
and the white bongo is gone...
I'm a little sad for the true

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote