New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rabies Vaccinations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My company is offering the opportunity to take the three pre-exposure rabies vaccinations. I'm hunting in Namibia later this year so should I go ahead and get the shots? I'm already vaccinated for pretty much everything else.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Wanderer,

I considered the rabies pre-exposure shots before I left for Tanzania last fall. Bottom line is you will still need to take the series if you are exposed. They are expensive and since they don't provide immunity - just a better chance of fighting it (especially if post-exposure treatment is delayed), I elected to forego the pre-exposure shots. Since yours would be free, you may elect to take them.

Also, while I've never been to Namibia and I know rabies among Kudu is not uncommon over there, my guess is exposure to rabies (if you are on a plains game hunt) is highly unlikely.

The Namibian outfitters on AR can best answer that question.

Good luck and post pics!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the pre-exposure shots many years ago. In fact I arrainged through my local health Dept. for a clinic to provide the shots at nominal cost. There was a big outbreak locally and many hunters & trappers wanted the shots. Not sure if it's still the case but the expense was mainly the result of the vials not being able to be stored once opened. By arrainging the clinic we were able to use all of each vial (as opposed to a single dose from each of three for individuals) thus reducing the cost tremendously.
While not certain protection it's a lot better insurance than none! Especially if it's free I wouldn't hesitate. While transmitted by the same means (body fluid) I think your chances of getting rabies from handling an infected body is higher than contracting AIDS from an infected corpse and I don't know anyone who'd do that without gloves & a face shield. The price is right. Get the shots!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wanderer,

I would recommend you take a look at the following publication and make the decision yourself:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00056176.htm

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Wanderer,

Rabies vaccines made today are very good and provide a high level of protection. If a known exposure happens, your blood titer (antibody level in your blood) will be checked and if it is high from the vaccinations, often times nothing further will take place.

Vaccination is recommended for people who might get an unknown exposure or who are at high risk. I am a veterinarian so I am vaccinated.

I will tell you that the chance of rabies exposure for hunter in Africa is no higher than for a hunter in the U.S.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37879 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have chosen not to get them largely due to the expense but also due to the rarity of contracting it. I don't know anyone who has ever gotten rabies (stories sure but not real people) but I know plenty of people who got hepatitis, malaria, etc.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote