THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Reload Velocities with .375 H&H Magnum
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reload Velocities with .375 H&H Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What kind of reload velocities are you all getting with your .375 H&H rifles with various powders and bullets? Several of my friends and I have been getting 2605 - 2636 fps with Reloader 15 and 300 grain Swift A-frame bullets through my Oehler chronograph with no signs of pressure at all. This is a pretty consistent velocity with all of us. I forgot to mention that we are all using large rifle primers and not magnum primers. (This combination is what JJHack uses as he has stated on this forum.) I just wondered if these velocities were typical when using this powder/bullet/primer combination? Any other combinations that bring these velocities?

Thanks,

jfm

one of us
posted Hide Post
2650 fps, 72 gr. RL25, 300 Gr. TSX & Banded Soleds & Hornady Solids. Winchester Brass, F215M Primers.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite loads that shoots well in all my 375's is 76gr of WW760 with a 300gr bullet and 210M Federal Primer. It runs 2525-2540 depending upon bullet, and is pretty accurate. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted Hide Post
my favorite load for both of my 375s is:
RL 15 71 gr, 300tsx, W-W cases, CCI 250 primers.
One averages 2545 fps, the other 2537 fps. This is not a max load but is extremely accurate and I have not felt the desire to push harder.

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow ... My M70 SS Classic must have a tight barrel or chamber.

I push 300 gr TSXs at 2604 fps with 68 grains of RL-15 in Remington cases and WLR primers. Was concerned about going to what everyone else is using as my load is just starting to show the beginning of pressure sign and 3 to 4 grains is a lot of powder ... so I chrono'd the load and stopped there.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. I load 300gr Nosler Partitions with 72.5gr RL-15, CCI250 LRMP. My oehler only give me about 2460fps. I'm shooting a Rem BDLSS with a 24" barrel.

I can't even break 2500fps without going up another 2 or 3 grains which is kinda high though I don't see much by way of excess pressure.

Any suggetions on how to get >2500fps without blowing up the gun??

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess velocities are all over the place. With 64.5 grains of Reloader 15 and a 300 grain bullet I am getting about 2450 fps and no pressure signs at all.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first loads with my 375 turned out pretty accurate, I have shot 20 of each and probably won't vary the load.

270g HOrnady bullet with 72g varget and CCI 250 primer, federal cases (cause that's what I had)

300g sierra over 68g RL15 and CCI250 primers, chrono'd a couple of rounds at 2553 and 2573 fps.

accuracy was good on both, point of impact the same. I saw no pressure signs, primers looked like they might be starting to flatten a bit but I compared to the factory rounds I fired and they were the same.

Probably gonna keep like that and get some northforks, then test them in the fresno summer, 100+ and see hwo they do then.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jfm:

Recipe: Federal cases, CCi 250 Mag LRP, RL15 72 grains, SwiftAF PSP 270 grain, 2650 FPS 1.5 in group 100 yards.

Same recipe but using IMR 4350 77 grains, 2575 FPS 1/2 in. groups at 100 yards.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I usually load 300 grain bullets to just over 2400 fps in the .375 H&H for general hunting. Less pressure, less recoil, same final results though. People always want "more" I guess.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 1 grain under max listed in the Barnes book using IMR 4320 with a 270gr TSX.

I get an average 2650 FPS.

Unbelievable accuracy as well. If I told you'd think I was lying. But under 1/2" is not uncommon.

This out of a 20" barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
74.5grs RL-15
300gr Swift A-Frame
Winchester brass
Fed#215M
Chronographed velocity = 2600fps
(this is a max load in my rifle)

Rifle is a Dakota M-76 375H&H with 23" bbl

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

I should also say that this load shoots into about an inch to an inch and a quarter at 100yrds. The Nosler relaosding manual that I have states that the accuracy loads for all of the powders listed in around 2450fps.

Do you suppose if I just used this load I'd be fine for brown bear (going next fall)and cape buffalo??

Shot a mature bison with it just to see how the 375 does on game and....guess what...bang, chrunch..one shot shot one kill.

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
80gn H4350 give me 2580 with the 300gn Woodleigh and 2680 with the 250gn Sierra and they all go into the same 2" group at 50 yards. his is in a Brno U/O.

MIKE

Picture of 338ultra
posted Hide Post
HI Guys & Girls,

I'm currently working up some recipes for my rem 700 from the custom shop.

I worked up the following so far:
69 grains Reloader 15 with cci 250's with 300 grain triple shock.
shot a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards
70.3 grains of reloader: same results
72.4 grains of reloader: 2 bullets touching each other third I pulled
74.7 grains: I could cover it with a dime all three bullets touched rieally tight. No results of pressure build up.

Going to chrono the bullets in the next few days but I'm very impressed with what I have seen so far, recoil not bad. Shot it 20 times i ntest firing. Will clean and shoot through the chronograph. will post results for each round. I expect the rounds to be betwenn 2400 to 2600 in that neighborhood. My chrono with computer will give me ballistics too. will pass the info on.

Nothing beats a well placed shot

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any suggetions on how to get >2500fps without blowing up the gun??

Get a .375 RUM. Big Grin

My .375 RUM pushes the 300 gr Barnes TSX out at 2840 fps with 97.3 gr H4831sc in R-P cases and CCI 250 primers. Groups 3-shot 1MOA at 200 yds.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Here are the favorite loads in my Winchester Model 70 375 H&H. These will drop empty cases out of the chambers on a 110 degree day.

Nosler 260 grain Partition using 76 grains of IMR4350 at 2680 fps regularily shoots into 0.4" groups

Barnes 300 grain TSX using 67.5 grains of IMR4064 at 2480 fps regularily shoots into 0.5" groups

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 72 grains of RL15 with 270 NF for 2770. I can only use 69 grains with a 300 grain for a bit over 2500. Some seem to be able to use more powder, but I don't think another 75 fps is a big deal on a .375.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
67 Grains of IMR 4064 with 300 gr. NorthFork for an average of 2431 fps.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

Just to throw a spanner into the works I am taking delivery today of some copper hunting bullets in 375 H+H. Would you believe at 150 gn.
Load 80gn Reloader 10X, magnum primer MV 3507 ft/s and ME 4205 Ft/lbs.
If you set the zero 2" high at 100yds you should be zero at 238yds.
Retained energy at 200yds is still 2613 ft/lbs.
The driving bands keep the pressure right down hence the high velocity.
The terminal ballistics are similar to a Barnes X. The recoil energy should be 26ft/lbs as opposed to 40ft/lbs on a 300gn bullet at 2500 ft/s
I will be using them this year on an impala/kudu cull hunt to test their effectiveness so I'll keep you posted.

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are those from Lutz Moeller?

quote:
Originally posted by MarkH:
Hi Guys

Just to throw a spanner into the works I am taking delivery today of some copper hunting bullets in 375 H+H. Would you believe at 150 gn.
The terminal ballistics are similar to a Barnes X. The recoil energy should be 26ft/lbs as opposed to 40ft/lbs on a 300gn bullet at 2500 ft/s
I will be using them this year on an impala/kudu cull hunt to test their effectiveness so I'll keep you posted.

Mark

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi

Yes they are from Lutz. Hopefully I'll try out the new bullets next week on some fallow deer to assess carcass damage and post the results if anyone is interested.

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkH:
Hi Guys

Mark

Hmmmm. Leopard bullet?

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Boy ,,, no joke on the wrench in the works.......Who , is the bullet maker ??????? Does he have a web site ????? what are the diameter and weight of the bullets in the photo????? Boy ,, the heavy slow guys are going to have a cow........I gotta get some of these.......Yes at least I am interested....... Lets see ,,, a 200 gr 416 bulet @3350 fps ..... dancing

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Absolutly right Shumba, especially useful if your leopard is 300 yds away Wink
Anything bigger than an Eland and I would use my 458 Lott anyway.

Mark

One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi Gumboot

For the 416 Rigby your looking at a 238 gn bullet at 3021 ft/s
458 Lott 344 gn @ 2759

Loading info is at http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/10,57-mm/416-Rigby.htm its in German but there is an English section on the home page.

Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cow!
Plastic-tipped, under-sized, under-weight, minimal-bearing-surfaced, I guess, in the quest for speed with low recoil for the timid? Gives me pause and I am by no means one of the "slow and heavy" guys. This should make life "interesting" in the game fields, in the old Chinese proverbial way.

Those bullets look to be designed for paper punching, but there are better ways to do that too!

When, in a 24" barrel, I get a .375 H&H to the traditional paper velocity of 2530 fps with 300-grainer or 2740 fps with 270-grainer, I quit there, if the load is accurate, and it usually is in a .375 H&H.

Some factory .375 H&H 300-grain ammo gives 2400 to 2450 fps in some rifles I have chronographed. I have chronographed some Remington 300-grain Swift factory loads at 2532 fps, and had cratered primers, brass extrusion marks, and sticky extraction in hot weather.

Every individual combination of rifle, bullet, and brass case are a pressure and velocity story unto themselves. That is obvious from the velocities with bullets, brass, and powder charges above. 72 grains of RL-15 in Winchester brass with GM215M primer and the 300-grain GSC HV gave me right around 2530 fps in a 24" barrel, and that is fast enough for me in that rifle. Accurate and sub-maximal pressure as far as I can tell. I don't even care to go higher in powder charge or velocity, though I probably could, especially with the GSC HV and FN.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all measure pressures? Dang if powder lots don't vary too!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the uninitiated, the Lutz Moeller bullets turn a high velocity caliber into a super high velocit caliber, and they turn a mid velocity caliber into a high velocity caliber. Want to shoot a 9.3 x 62 at 3100 fps and kill deer at 450 yards with it? Lutz Moeller bullets are the answer.

The pic below shows a Lutz Moeller 9.3 x 62 bullet on the right, one unfired and the other recovered. The bullet on the left is a GSC HV bullet.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
For just the reasons 500 gr. exampled...... With a large medium or large bore rifle ......Say I was hunting black bear in the spring with my 9.3 x62 or 458 Lott ect. and while glassing a grass flat I spot a pack of wolves ......But I can,t get closer than 400 yrds ....with a modern 1.5-6x scope and the right load I,ve got a dead wolf.... Or if your going high country , early season deer hunting but have to hike up some fish crik to get up thru the timber ...... light bullet , long range zapping . From the same rifle that gives you heavy duty smash at 10 feet.....Sight in the scope for the long range loads and file in the express sights for the heavy weight or solids....In Africa I would think it would be even more useful.......The 416,s are great genral purpose ,,, but with a good long range load option available..They would be even better........Since every different lot of the same powder is different and sometimes very different from the last one used........There will always be pressure excursions........But that is part of cautous handloading.,,.. Of the 8 ,375,s I,ve had and loaded for ,,,some were faster than others with the same load,,by as much as 75 fps with sometimes very different accuracy.....I have never attained 2600 fps w/ 300 gr bullets with the H&H and what I considered safe pressure......Which is why I shoot 270 gr bullets primarily in the 375.......If I felt I needed more velocity than 2530 fps w/ 300 gr. bullet I would and have turned them into the improved 375,s...and get more velocity with simular pressure...., JMHO.....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi RIP

Its just a question of mindset.
Now instead of taking two rifles into the field you take two types of bullet like Gumboot said.
One super fast and light for the plainsgame and a slow (by comparison) and heavy traditional for the dangerous stuff. Simple just learn the scope adjustments or use the open sights with the heavies.

This is one of Lutz's 0.577 T-Rex 750 gn book velocity 2303 ft/s.

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Light for caliber bullet?
Loss of bullet mass on top!
No intact mushroom to increase size of the hole.

You may as well be shooting your .308/30-06 and a bullet that stays together.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
But can you stuff a 300 gn woodleigh SP/solid in your 308/30-06 when shit happens Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand the "African Sheep Rifle" concept. I created the concept, just like Al Gore invented the internet. Wink

The way real men do it is to use 320-grain GSC HV's at 2800 fps in their .404 Jeffery scope-sighted rifles, and have the iron sights set for 380-400 grainers at 2400-2500 fps.

Or, when available, use the .395/340gr GSC FN, HV-FN-SP trio at 2600-2800 fps, depending on the cartridge. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some examples of water tank results at low and high velocities with the Moeller bullets, velocities in meters per second shown:

Compare the rifling marks on these Moeller bullets (697 m/s in gelatin, which is easier on a bullet than water or game bone) to the GSC bullets below and you will see that the Moeller bullets are possibly (in the quest for speed at manageable pressure) undersized in comparison and may be more likely to keyhole if the rifling is just a little oversize. Could be a finnicky situation for the masses:

A low velocity GSC watertank result, with 95 grain .264 caliber HV at 1900 fps:

A watertank result at 2600 fps with a 450-grain .458 caliber GSC HV:

And a bone penetration on game with a 130-grain .284 caliber GSC HV at well over 2600 fps:

Another issue here is by how far off the POI with these ultralight Moeller bullets will be compared to traditional weight bullets for caliber. You will definitely be stuck with having to remove the scope and use iron sights for the heavies, if your scope is zeroed for the ultralight. Or have two scoped rifles in the same chambering, which is not allowed in RSA, for example, for the tourist hunter.

A violation of the KISS Principle.

I prefer the GSC alternatives for an African Sheep Rifle. Plastic plugs in a hollowpoint-monometal-copper bullet will definitely cause some surprises now and then.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
O K ....so this thread seems to be hijacked ,,everyone must be watching super bowl stuff....[[.watching a 1911 stove pipe would be more fun ] Razzer....I still think the ultra light , monometal bullets are a great idea...And I,m a BIG fan of 300 gr 416 bullets @ 2900 fps plus.........and 400 gr 416 bullets @ 2200 fps as a trophy buck load....The intended target for the ultra light bullets are not in need of big expansion or great depth of penetration .. But flat trajectory is nice....I wonder how Sierra Game Kings would have faired in the water tests.....They work well on light boned animals...sometimes even heavy animals..I had never heard of the Moeller bullets .. and want to try them............In putting out different questions on these threads I have learned that there are more than a few looney tunes responders..Some of them claim the 9.3x62 is just great for Cape Buffalo but that a 350 gr Barnes X bullet in 458 dia.@ 2500 fps..just won,t work.. What a clay jar of manuer!!!!I think it has more to do with red tape and excuses to have different calibers in other countries , ..Most people seem to be genuinly interested in at least what works and that is nice....Interesting also...If this ever got a boreing as organized team ball sports homer thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
I had been told that 'real men' only shot at sheep with .45 cal and above Razzer
Anyway if you do the math the bullet is very stable.
http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Englisch/375H&H.htm
LM: Mark, do not let the nice Numbers above fool You. Multi digits mean in this Case only computerized Guess work, not more. But 3,08 s1000 ms is grossly above the required Minimum, so be assured, they will not tumble! Also the 9,5 mm KJG is quite similar to the 9,3 mm KJG and that flies nicely from 9,3x62 and 9,3x64

No tumbling was noticed on the range either just nice round holes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course the LM bullets would be gyroscopically well stabilized, in a barrel of the right size for their bands, due to their short overall length even with the long plastic tip. The .423/320gr GSC HV is needing only 1:20" twist, and I shoot it in a 1:10" twist, and the more common twist is 1:14" for .404 Jeffery.

MarkH, you have completely misinterpreted my question about diameters of bullets and the minimal driving band contact. It is not at all an issue about bullet length and twist rate.

So MarkH, could you put a caliper to the plastic-tipped LM bullets in whatever calibers you have and tell us what the diameters of the bands are, and what the diameters of the interband shank are, that obviously do not touch the lands at all?

I've got a bunch of plastic sabots for use of .308 caliber bullets in a .510 caliber barrel ... been planning to try these with .308 caliber 165 grainers in the 1:10" twist 500A2/510JAB. I expect to get well over 4000 fps. Accuracy will tell whether they are adequate for sheep. Wink

One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
RIP

As requested

Shank - 0.364"
Driving bands - 0.376"

I would suggest that most lost game/bad shot placement in the hunting field is due to a lack of accuracy combined with poor range estimation. Increasing the point blank range and reducing recoil can only be a good thing even if you are only shooting out to 250 yds.
The other thing to notice is that the driving band cuts a clean .375 hole for blood trailing.

Mark

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did you measure this, a vernier or micrometer? In the picture from RIP the second picture from the top shows that the right side drive band is smaller than the left side drive band. Do your 375 bullets also have taper like that? Does anyone know what caliber the undersize bullets in Rips picture are?

Posts: 218 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Welljust chrono the bullets:

2650 with 68 grains of reloader 15 with cci 250 primers and barnes 300 grain triple shock bullets. 7 SHOT GROUP WAS .57 AT 10O YDS.

I have the other information but I left it at te range will give the rest of the reloads when I pick it up.