Find
Notify
Tools

Pincushioned!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
Got my first round of Hep shots plus tetanus today. Also got my scripts for Malarone and Doxycyclin. Plus I went to the dentist and got two fillings repaired. (Last thing I want interupting a Safari is a trip to an African Dentist.)

Tell me again how preparing for the trip is almost as much fun as being there rotflmo

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
African Dentist, hmmm isn't that your PH with a pair of channel locks?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure and get some Cypro (a powerful antibiotic) and a prescription anti diarrhea tab.

That saved my a$$ one time.

I've been all over the world and Africa offered the worst case of the "revenge" I've ever had.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
African Dentist, hmmm isn't that your PH with a pair of channel locks?

JPK

JPK,

It doesn't have to be in Africa.....

My PH from last year came to the UK for a marketing trip in November and I picked him up from the airport. We went home and my dad was visiting. We wanted to go shooting, but dad couldn't make it as he had an appointment at the docvs to get some stitches removed from his leg.

A bottle of medical alcahol and the PH's leatherman had the leg sorted and we all went out stalking!!! clap

Dennie got his first English buck that evening followed by a good few pheasants the next day!!

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I always take the following when going into the bush in Africa:

Chewable aspirin (you may not have water handy)
Laxative (yes, constipation can happen!)
Anti-diarhea medicine
a strong general anti-biotic
a small bottle of a good antiseptic
a couple of kinds of antihystamines, anti-allergy.

On that last item, you may think you are not allergic to anything and then find the one thing you are allergic to in the bush. If you can get one, one of the asthma inhalers is a good thing to have with you, even if you think you won't need it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a bottle(two courses) of CIPRO also and it saved one of my trips. I was so sick I didn't want to get out of bed. starting taking tyhe CIPRO and was feeling fine in a few hours!

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Re-read my post on the Hunt Report Page. Bring plenty of first aid supplies. Smart move on the dental appointment!

Have fun!

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to Tanzenia first week in August, went last week and got 7 shots, back end of month for second Hep.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N'gagi:
Re-read my post on the Hunt Report Page. Bring plenty of first aid supplies. Smart move on the dental appointment!

Have fun!

I won't claim to be that smart it was a regularly scheduled appointment that caught the loose fillings. It was an eye opener from the standpoint one could have fallen out while on Safari. There are worse Dental crisises to be sure. Root canal comes to mind.

I glad I was able to get this done before I left. A dental check up will definately be on the to do list for any such trip in the future.

I'll look into the CYPRO. Lots of friends have suggested anti diarheals.

Thanks N'gagi for your first aid post. I read it with interest. Your experience could have been worse but it didn't need to be as bad as it was.

End of next month the next round of HEP shots. What do they fill those syringes with LAVA???

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
gi,

I leave for Tanzania 7/30. Same program on the shots. Where are you going in Tanz?

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Myself, I'm not going to Tanzania. I'm just going to RSA. I would love to do the Tanzania thing one day. I've got a friend who is climbing Kilamonjaro as I type this (can you say I'm a little jealous) For Buffalo, I am convinced Tanzania is the ultimate destination. Plus I really like the nyasaland wildebeast. IMO one of the most gourgeous plains species. A trip to Tanzania would just have to include one of them.

Since we're discussing immunizations. I thought Tanzania was/is a yellow fever endemic zone. Is that still true?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the area that you will be hunting with Mof Venter's group, it is malaria free. But you will definitely want to take all the others meds that have been recommended, they can save you a lot of time and energy.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote