Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 WinMag Nosler Accubond
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone here tried the new Nosler Accubond loads from Federal or Winchester? 338 WinMag 225 grain Nosler Accubond?

My 338 doesn't like any bullet/load I have tried heavier than the 210 grain Nosler Partition load from Federal.
I consitantly get less than 1MOA groups with this load out to 250 yards. I have hand loaded 225/250 grain Partitions and 230 grain fail safes with groups averaging 2.5 MOA.
I have tried factory ammo in 225/250 grain Partitions, 230 grain Fail Safes, 225 TBBC, 250 Core Lokts, and others and none of them shoot well in my rifle (Sako 75 SS).

I am planning a Plains Game hunt to Namibia next year and was hopping to come up with ammo/load with a heavier bullet.
Any reports on the Accubond loads appreciated.

Posts: 38 | Location: South Korea | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
LB,

I am not shooting Noslers but I am shooting Barnes Triple X's 225 gr. with 63grs. of IMR 4350..seated to an overall legnth 3.208 inches velocity of 2700fps..Shot a three shot group of approx. 1 inch... I'm happy with it.

Regards,

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the numbers Mike. Incidentally, My brother in law went down to Camp Blue Diamond to dump the garbage and ran into about a 200 pond blackie down there! I'm back down in muggy, hot, flat, hideous Florida. Told the wife, we're looking for land in PA in 3 years when I retire! jorge

PS: Oh yeahm try 225gr Swifts behind 66gr of H-414 seated to the cannelure.

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
I too have a Sako in 338, and am fiddling around with the accubond. Reloader 19 seems the most accomodating. It didn't like RL 22, didn't like IMR 4350. I haven't tried H414, but that may be worth a look.

3 shots into 1 1/4" - good enough for hunting accuracy. Looks like it will be a great bullet. Loads seem kind of mild in the Nosler book, so I called 'em. They said stick with the same loads for the accubond. Harder metal or some such explanation, but I don't fool around too much with pressures, and took them at their word.

72 grains, Fed 215Match primers, W-W cases.

Like I said, I'm still tinkering with it a bit. But if the best I can do is what I get with the RL19, then I'm happy.

Leave in late August for JoBurg and points beyond :>

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered some interbond from the local store. They dont carry them in stock. Im using a Tikka whitetail hunter, blued synthetic. Gonna try loading them up with RL22. My gun shoots 180 grain balistic tips sub MOA with 78 grains off RL22, I know 19 might be a better choice for the ligher bullet but I had 22 on hand. Not sure what velocity I get out of the 22 pushing 180 grains but Im not too concerned about it either. I will post my results with the interbonds when I get them loaded up. Looking forward to some other reports.

one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
I used them in my Ruger #1 and managed a 1" group with R-22. Much better than the Sierra 250gr Game kings, which were about 2 1/2" at best.

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot about every plainsgame animal in Africa, the USA, and other parts of the world with the great 210 Nosler and varius other bullets...The 210 will actually penitrate equal to the 250 Partition, for whatever reason...It will kill Eland about as fast as any bullet I know of...

I have shot them into Cape Buffalo and they exited doing a lot of interanal damage, about the same as my other favorite the 300 gr. RN Woodleigh...Those are the only two bullets I shoot in my 338 today..I use the 210 exclusively for everything but in thick cover...It is 2" high at 100 in my gun and the 300 woodleigh is dead center at 100 yards. Can't beat that.

I have killed with one shot several bull elk at about 400 yards with the 210 Nosler at 3005 FPS...It is the ideal Gemsbok, Zebra, Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Kudu and Eland rifle and works great on the smaller species, which the 250 does not I might add, the 250 won't expand much at all unless you hit some heavy bone, However it does not bruise a lot of meat either...

I don't think you have a problem, your just creating one..The 210 gr. Nosler will serve you fine in Namibia, and in fact is the very best choice for any animal you hunt in Namibia where ranges can be long or short....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, no offense but we don't need any more non-txpaying retires. Unlike Fla. we don't have an intangable tax. We only tax people that work and earn monies and Corporations that creat jobs.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
DOJ,

Don't you have property taxes in PA? Sales taxes?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure do. Retired seniors are a large voice against school spending basically supported by property taxes - they have no kids in school. Since we live near the Md line they shop in Md where the sales tax is less and this also takes the revenue from local businesses.
Fla has no personal income tax but do have the intangable tax which taxes investments. Historically retires flocked to Fla for the weather and they were smart enough to seize on the wealth for a good tax base. Suprisingly Pa has one of the fastest growing retired population in the country despite the weather. The most sensetive part of the human is their pocket book.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Ray hit it spot on... 210 gr nosler will kill what you are going after.

Jorge
Hope you enjoy the well deserved tax benefits when
you move to PA.I'm thrilled when someone gets a tax cut!

Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
DOJ: Offense taken and you are way out of line. I hate to break this to you, my family already has property ( 90 acres) in PA and we do pay taxes. I've seen what the median income is in Bedford and in Huntingdon County where I'll probably settle and my retirement pay alone is over twice the what you make up there and that's not counting my investment income. The way I look at it, it's a can't lose proposition for me and PA. I'll spend more money that 3 of you combined and besides, I'll employ people to mow my lawn, clean my house, etc.

Moreover, given that I'll have about 28 years of active military service sort of gives me the right to live wherever the hell I want and I might just tip the balance in getting PA to fix the way they've voted in the last three presidential elections. Don't worry, I've been to Bedford and I won't be living there. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Poster: jorge
........<snip>........
Moreover, given that I'll have about 28 years of active military service sort of gives me the right to live wherever the hell I want...
........<snip>........
jorge

Damn straight!!!! Now, back to the topic.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JOrge,

I agree your like a 1000 lb. gorilla, you can sleep anyplace you please. you earned it...come on up to Idaho, we'll welcome you with open arms.

Like Faucett, back to the subject.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge
Congratulations on having the good sense to retire to PA. I can't think of anywhere that makes more sense to an outdoors loving retiree.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks men for the encouragement. As to Idaho, I would DEARLY love to move out there, but the wife says it's too damn cold and you know women, they might only be 51% of the population but they own 100% of the puss... you get my drift! Now back to the topic: I had gret results with H-414 and 225gr Swift A Frames out of my custom Model 70 338 and I also had great luck with RL-19. I like the way H-414 meters and it's very stable.

Man, I was planning on taking my 300 H&H Model 70 to Africa for Plains, but that 338 is now calling my name! decisions! jorge

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Forget Pennsylvania. Idaho is much nicer. This winter we will have the horses pull a sleigh through the wilderness areas while we throw enviromentalist wackos over the side to feed the wolves.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote