Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Cards- New Fee
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Be advised that Citbank/Citi Cards has just added a 3% fee for using your credit card overseas.

For example, if you charge your hotel in a foreign currency and, once coverted to Dollars, that charge is $500. You will pay an additional $15 fee to Citibank.

Not all credit cards do this, so it might pay to check rules on your credit card.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I believe MBNA is still free. I use them and before going overseas I always call to let them know I may be making charges there so they don't shut the card down.

When I do so I ALWAYS thank them for not charging a fee. Positive input goes a long way.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should add when I do thank them I tell them it is a big reason I am a customer. They do listen.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
It seems that Mastercard and Visa charge a 1% fee for foreign exchange.

Just got off the phone with Chase, they charge a 2% fee for foreign exchange on Platinum cards.

So, when you add the 1% Mastercard/Visa charges to the fee your bank charges, you could be paying 3% or 4% for using your card overseas.

At least as far as Citibank and Chase credit cards are concerned.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.
I always call the credit card company and tell them of my overseas travel plans. The Customer Service Rep I just talked to at Chase also reminded me that it is a good idea to let them know of overseas travel plans.

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I believe MBNA is still free. I use them and before going overseas I always call to let them know I may be making charges there so they don't shut the card down.

When I do so I ALWAYS thank them for not charging a fee. Positive input goes a long way.

Thanks Ann this is good to know. Smiler

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think MBNA is the least of many evils -- makes them pretty decent moneylenders.

What'd I just say????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They aren't a nightmare if you pay them off every month! None of them make any money on me. Smiler

~Ann