New
Find
Notify
Tools

February's Mt. Nyala
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here's a trophy shot of that Mt. Nyala I promised. I posted the skull and horns about a week ago. 36" and taken the first evening of the safari. What to do?

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What to do?

Playing cards with the PH, Tracker ... Big Grin

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
beer Eeker

WOW-that is the trophy of a lifetime! I am envious! Congrats to the hunter on a fine trophy!

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I guess as long as he got to finish his safari hunting in the Danakil or something like that who cares.

If that was it, then I would be dissapointed but not terribly so.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Menelik Bushbuck?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Elliot

I will hopefully, one day hunt Ethiopia, and that photo makes it more certain. Very effective advertising. I was reading African Indaba last night and would like to know if you or others are familiar with Mr. Flack's analisis of Ethiopia in Vol. 3 No. 3? If so, is it accurate?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that photograph, Rich. That's a tremendous animal.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
What to do?

I'd say full body mount!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Nyala is on my list and now I will moonlight so I can go again to hunt Africa!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional photo Rich. Fantastic...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Mr. Elliot

I will hopefully, one day hunt Ethiopia, and that photo makes it more certain. Very effective advertising. I was reading African Indaba last night and would like to know if you or others are familiar with Mr. Flack's analisis of Ethiopia in Vol. 3 No. 3? If so, is it accurate?

I went back into the archives and found it but for some reason can't open it. Peter has hunted Ethiopia three times this decade. He hunts with us for the third time in May of 2009.
I'd like to see it.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Menelik Bushbuck?

You mean this? Wink

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr.Elliot:
I Just opened it no problem. For anyone interested go to africanindaba.co.za then to "Archive 2005" then go to May-June vol 3-3 open it and go to page 15. It's idiot proof, I tested it. Also you might want to read the Jan-Feb Vol 5-2 at page 13. A fantastic indepth article on the Tragelaphus buxtoni.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Olds,

Got it! And as usual Mr. Flack pretty well nailed the situation. Were it not for the controlled hunting areas there soon would not be any game at all. In just the 3 years that Omo was closed to hunting after the communists were kicked out it was astounding
what had been lost. Where before we had hunted Nile Buffalo, Neumann's Hartebeest, and Beisa Oryx we fouind mostly cattle and dust. Where we had counted ostriches by the hundreds before we counted 3 old hens. Yes, THREE and soon they disappeared. Nassos now has a huge fenced off area where he is trying to re establish an ostrich population to release back into the
area where they had been so plentiful before.
Oh don't get me started CRYBABY
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Full body mount is in order!

one of us
posted Hide Post
S G Olds

quote:
Also you might want to read the Jan-Feb Vol 5-2 at page 13. A fantastic indepth article on the Tragelaphus buxtoni.

That report by Paul Evangelista (The Murulle Foundation) is more important to Mt. Nyala hunting than I can express. The IUCN accepted that report over all the bunny hugging West Coast "experts" who had only investigated the populations in Bale NAtional Park. According to one of them the total population of Mt. Nyala was less than 1,000. They all totally ignored the places where the Mt. Nyal truly thrive...the Controlled Hunting areas....what we call "Hunting Concessions". When these are thrown into the mix the Mt Nyla population can be proven (there are game census' every two years) to number over 4,000. We were proud to have Paul and the Murulle Foundation people in one of our booths at SCI this January.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott