Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
When dragging around the bait site the man doing the dragging walks slightly to the side of the drag trail. Then two or three trackers and the PH (and probably the client hunter) gather at the base of the tree to sweep away the leaves and watch one guy scoot up the trunk and branches of the tree and wire it to a branch.

I have always wondered why that human scent from all that activity does not scare the leopard away. Why is that?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In my oppinion i think that the smell of guts might overpower the human sent. After a day of 'gut bucket' duty every thing smells like guts to me.

For a true African hunting experience visit www.johanhermannsafaris.com

Posts: 10 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 19 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I don't really think the leopards care about the human smell.

I have seen people answering the call of nature a few yards from the bait tree.

The leopard still shows up.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Palmer,

I have to agree with Saeed that leopards are not particularly sensitive to human odor. This last year we drove up in a diesel Cruiser half way between the bait and blind, bailed out, the crew turned around and drove off. Within 10 minutes of us getting settled the leopard was in the tree. That whole area between the bait tree and blind (35 yards) had to be full of human odor and diesel exhaust.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A few years ago we had a bait in a tree which was hit.

We brought another bait to replenish it.

We got on top of an ant hill where we wanted to put our blind and surprised the leopard lying right there.

He ran when we were about 5 yards from him!

We put the blind up, and not long after shot him.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. I don't think the bait smell is necessarily overpowering, although it may be under some circumstances. Pure speculation, but I tend to agree that leopards must not care about the presence of human scent.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gut drag wins every time, no question in my mind.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Hunger wins every time.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
leopards can be extremely cunning, and then again they can do dumb things. i often wonder about walking the drag myself, and came to the conclusion that the less scent the better

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Leopards are opportunistic as when they approach a human settlement or a village to steal a goat or something, i know some leopards even approach skinning sheds in camp, I believe they are aware of the danger but the food source is too tempting, even though humans are probably involved.

I also once read in a book of the old timers, I believe it was a Jim Corbett's book that he mentioned that leopards don't have a good sense of smell, but of that I don't know.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No expert but I think it location, location location. In some places where they been hunted hard I do think the smell would drive them away. In others not so much. my experence 8 leopard hunts...

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Human scent dissipates quite quickly. The drag leaves a powerful and long lasting smell.

Worst case scenario is contaminants in the back of the car. Get a bit of diesel on the bait and it will not be touched. Pissing around the bait site is another no no.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I had an appy hunter (now a fully licensed ph) tell me that when he was apprenticing for HHK he'd watch Lou Hallamore take a leak right near the base of the tree while they were setting the baits. Lou wasn't worried about it, and the appy said it never seemed to matter.

No one would dispute that Lou was and is a very successful leopard hunter.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A while back, I helped trap a jaguar in Paraguay. A cat had hit a tethered goat, and we put a leghold trap right next to the kill. We sprinkled sifted dirt over the trap after covering it with a piece of a filthy T-shirt worn by one of the Guarani cowboys who was helping us. I asked the cat man, a lifelong trapper, whether the scent from the shirt would make a difference. He said a coyote or a wolf would never come close to such a thing, but a jaguar would step right in it. Sure enough, that's what happened.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
I had an appy hunter (now a fully licensed ph) tell me that when he was apprenticing for HHK he'd watch Lou Hallamore take a leak right near the base of the tree while they were setting the baits. Lou wasn't worried about it, and the appy said it never seemed to matter.

No one would dispute that Lou was and is a very successful leopard hunter.

Nope. Would not dispute that.

But of all the trees, in MMBA? Not if I'm paying the freight.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
A while back, I helped trap a jaguar in Paraguay. A cat had hit a tethered goat, and we put a leghold trap right next to the kill. We sprinkled sifted dirt over the trap after covering it with a piece of a filthy T-shirt worn by one of the Guarani cowboys who was helping us. I asked the cat man, a lifelong trapper, whether the scent from the shirt would make a difference. He said a coyote or a wolf would never come close to such a thing, but a jaguar would step right in it. Sure enough, that's what happened.

Do you believe that is simply out of boldness by the cats or because they lack a good sense of smell?

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you believe that is simply out of boldness by the cats or because they lack a good sense of smell?

I'm fairly certain their noses aren't as good as those of canines, especially when it comes to "cold" scent. In contrast to scent left behind, fresh human scent is a big problem when trying to hunt cats. Cats won't feed on a bait if the wind shifts and they smell the hunters in the blind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm fairly certain their noses aren't as good as those of canines, especially when it comes to "cold" scent. In contrast to scent left behind, fresh human scent is a big problem when trying to hunt cats. Cats won't feed on a bait if the wind shifts and they smell the hunters in the blind.

Cannot say for certainty but I do know that a Leopard will smell a bait from quite a distance if the wind carries in his direction.

Fresh human scent in the close vicinity of the bait will alert him and in most cases he will pinpoint the source and your blind is compromised for keeps.

If this happens you could actually find the spot where he lay downwind of the blind and waited until the hunters quit and left before going on to feed.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I bet leopards are no different than us humans.

We have the intelligent ones and those who are completely bonkers.

Last year, Alan had a client shoot a leopard from a particular tree in a dry river bed.

The client missed with his first shot, the leopard just stood there. The client clobbered him a few seconds later.

As if that leopard wasn't stupid enough.

We put a bait there and it got eaten. It was a warthog.

We put another bait there, an impala, but left the warty there too.

We arrived early in the morning, the leopard was asleep in the bait tree. He stood up, looked our way, then went back to sleep!

A while later, he got up and started feeding on the warthog. Completely ignoring the impala.

But, he was hidden from me, so I could not shoot him.

Eventually he was walking off the tree, and I shot him.

I am hoping to get another leopard off the same tree this year too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you shot an "Obama" leopard - looks around for a hand out and then goes to sleep.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
I personally think that there is so much human activity , with the hunting and staking through the bush for plainsgame, buff etc and many tribal Africans wondering around, collecting fire wood, setting snares etc that the leopards are just used to the smell as a given.They have rather large territories and must come upon human scent everywhere .

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Uh oh Dogcat. You are going to have "big brother" watching your tax return now.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
not to mention tapping his phone and checking his web browser

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Safari Afrika 1
posted Hide Post
Leopards are vy smart ..... But they know they did not putbthe meat in the tree. I do not even do drags and will have leopard on bait in 3 - 4 days in any case . Human scent burn off pretty quick .

Richard Lemmer
www.safariafrika.net
richard@safariafrika.net
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages.../310296474391?ref=hl
Twitter :@safari_afrika

Posts: 16 | Location: Waterberg Mountains , Limpopo , South Africa | Registered: 31 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkinAfrika Consulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I don't really think the leopards care about the human smell.

I have seen people answering the call of nature a few yards from the bait tree.

The leopard still shows up.

My Namibian outfitter wont allow you for relieve near the bait.also the bait is hanged then if nite camera pick up the leopard the blind will be put up during the next morning and only later the afternoon it will be occupied.Then the non smoking non coughing silent wait! Not a story telling time lol.Anyway that is the way he does it and have huge trophies to show.

Theo Blignaut
Skype theo.blignaut1
Skype phone +27127435304
Nalie Smit
+27766183354
e mail:naliesmit@gmail.com
www.skinafrika.com
E mail theo@skinafrika.com
Hunts available in Berkino Faso, South Africa,Namibia,Mozambique,Zimbabwe,Tanzania,CAR,Cameroon,DRC,Kyrgystan,Kajikistan,New Zeeland

Posts: 198 | Location: Ukraine/South Africa | Registered: 22 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkinAfrika Consulting
posted Hide Post
Also what I was told and what I saw and smelled at the bait sites (he has normally several sites all year around to give some protection to his calves) is that the bait is left and according to him they like the bait rotten.So maybe that smell is overwhelming.He just add new bait once it is depleted.unborn calves is mostly used for bait.
Some pictures to enjoy:

http://s1345.photobucket.com/u....png.html?sort=3&o=0

Theo Blignaut
Skype theo.blignaut1
Skype phone +27127435304
Nalie Smit
+27766183354
e mail:naliesmit@gmail.com
www.skinafrika.com
E mail theo@skinafrika.com
Hunts available in Berkino Faso, South Africa,Namibia,Mozambique,Zimbabwe,Tanzania,CAR,Cameroon,DRC,Kyrgystan,Kajikistan,New Zeeland

Posts: 198 | Location: Ukraine/South Africa | Registered: 22 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Ruark used to write about sitting smoking in the blind as long as you didn't make any noise ...

Now I would be able to smell him - how a leopard wouldn't, I don't know.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
Ruark used to write about sitting smoking in the blind as long as you didn't make any noise ...

Now I would be able to smell him - how a leopard wouldn't, I don't know.

Simple logic - if he approaches between the blind and the bait its curtains whether you smoke or not and in most cases the blind is compromised.

The determining factor is to first establish his approach to the bait then build the blind; it would also be wise to first confirm the wind direction during the evening hours as it may veer by a few degrees between day and night and can make a difference.