Find
Notify
Tools

Monolithic or lead bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
Since there is a lot of debate on bullet makes and rifle twist I dont want to stir up a fight but for interest sake would like to know, if you had to choose between the two which one would you prefer ?

Myself I prefer lead bullets.

Question:
Which one would you prefer to hunt with if you had only one choice.

Choices:
lead
monolithic

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Go for a good premium expanding bullet like, Rhino, Swift A-Frame or trophy Bear claw.

I prefer heavier bullets at a slower speed, I am not a fan of light bullets at ultra high speeds. I have done my own tests and made up my own mind. It is still the best to do your own research and decide for youself.

It also depends on the application of the bullet. Different bullets perform different, ie. meat hunt, culling, varmint control. Some you shoot at close range and others at long distances.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
JACO, has it down pat, IMO! Since I shoot mostly double rifles, I voted for lead (CORE) bullets, both solid, and soft!

Of course that depends on what type of rifle I'm useing at the time, and what I'm shooting.

In my bolt rifles when in dangerous game country, I load a quality soft on top, followed by mono-lithic solids OR all North fork cup points. In my doubles I use no mono-lithics at all except the great North Fork flt point, and cup point solids, and some times North Fork soft points, if hunting things like big Bear!
Normally, I carry my doubles with a soft in the right barrel, and a solid in the left, with the cartridges that are immediatly available in the front of my belt are all solids, for quick reload.

I think like most, I switch back and forth depending on the game sought, and what roams the area where I'm hunting! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
...according to rifle twist I dont have a clue - tho in praxis (speaking just for my 9,3x62) I am sold not just on monos but to solids as well (flat pointed)– might give it a try to NF cup point solids as well – so monos for me...

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know if the preference for lead core bullets or monos is from the shooters perspective of the result on game or for concern about the rifle. It would also be interesting to see why one type is preferred over another. I will put money on it that there will be a horde of misconceptions here.

stir

I have not voted yet.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Monos will always be my first choice for hunting, as they penetrate further than any other types.

If no monos are available, I prefer those with a solid shank, like the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Jensen bullets.

Next comes the one with a partition, like the Noslers and A-Frames

Next would be those with a bonded lead core.

If I have to use the normal soft points, I will have to be very careful of my shots - and probably pass on quite a few as well.

All the above is based on my own experience on hunting, as penetration is the most important criteria I look for in a hunting bullet.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Gerard,

For me my experience on monos are as follows all in 375 h&h, impala 200gr, pmp mono solid I cant remember exact weight 293gr I think and barnesX 210gr and 270gr.

They all worked although they all had to be on point and hitting a vital area.

On lead bullets I have used pmp 300gr rn, hornady 270gr sp, 270gr rhino and that is it I havent tested that many bullets as it wasn't needed.

I just love the petals that rhino make and I only use them when I need to push the limit a bit on angle and toughness of game. Most of the times I'm happy with 270gr Hornady sp at around 2450fps and has served me very well plenty of damage inside the boiler room but not a great exiter on bigger game. Altough it always does the job inside. The rhino's exit most of the times. And the pmp softnoses was a novice mistake never again will I use them. I had a friend of mine also with a 375 not exiting on a frontal head shot on an impala with that bullet at 85 yards.

The monos work but I must say the lead bullets makes better damage on the soft tissue inside the body. That is just my two cents and experiences.

Although the blood trail on monos are sometimes better than the leadcore bullets.
I'm not saying the leadcore are magic but when it just misses the vitals or just hits the vitals some of the lead pieces end up doing more damage. But in the end nothing can beat proper bullets placement with a better than avg. bullet.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
As to solids- mono's would be my no 1 choice, though I love the looks of a Woodleigh steeljacketed solid... For expanding bullets, semi mono's, like Rhino, Bearclaw my first choice, followed very closely by Barnes X, and Swift A-Frame. Then bonded core bullets. Then maybe Nosler Partitions.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From plain meat hunting to protecting our cattle against predators like lion and leopard, the monolithic bullet has always performed time and again the same.
Highly trustworthy and never let you down.

Posts: 58 | Location: Botswana - RSA - Namibia | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this poll is about expanding or non-expanding bullets, and there is an important distinction.

Also, there is a big difference between makers. So for example, although I would prefer a Barnes mono to a Hornady lead core solid, I would also prefer a Woodleigh solid to a Barnes mono solid.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
leadcore, in a good bullet.

Just based on two buffalo shot...

Rich

I am espousing the theory that dan/500grains has Alzheimer's Disease. The symptoms are eerily similar.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you have to distinguish between dangerous game and plains game. I still feel little is to be gained shooting plains game with other than Nosler partition bullets. I have tried others and still come home to mama with Nosler partitions. I have been in on the demise of over 12 big game African animals. Ten Buffalo and two hippo. For these we used the following;
Two buffalo, mulitple hits with Swift A frames and Hornady solids. These buffalo were hit in the boiler room with A frames and then a second A frame followed by solids.

The rest of the big game were hunted with GS FN solids and North Fork CPS and FNS. Each of these animals were hit properly and each died with one shot. Absolutely honest. Each of the buffalo received and additional insurance shot per request of the PH. This only proves that these bullets will take dangerous game properly. Others may have other equally dreamatic results with other bullets and I am sure that there are other makes of bullets that are effective. I am very satisfied with my choice and see no need to look further.

The caliber of rifles used are; 416 Taylor, 400 gr. A frames and Hornady solids, 416 Remington magnum with A frames and Hornady solids, 404 Jeffery with 386gr. GS FN , 404 Jeffery with 380 gr. CPS/FNS.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
It would be interesting to know if the preference for lead core bullets or monos is from the shooters perspective of the result on game or for concern about the rifle.[/QUOTE

You are correct, in my case! Many of the Mono-lithics are not a good idea in double rifles, especially the older ones! However, not all mono-lithics are included in that discription, IMO. Bullets like the North Fork, and from the looks of your bullet, the design is fine to use in a double of any age. Not only because of the material they are made of, but the physical design allowing easy engraveing of the rifleing. Some solid shank soft point bullets with the same basic design are good as well for doubles, otherwise I use only treditional jacketed solids, and lead core bullets in my doubles!

[Quote] It would also be interesting to see why one type is preferred over another.

Here, again, the same basic design of the bareing surface of your bullet, or the North Fork, are the only mono solid I will use in a double! When useing a bolt, or any single barreled rifle, any of the monos are fine, if they shoot in your particular rifle. The X type bullets, from Barnes do not shoot well in my bolt rifles, but the Barnes mono-solids do, in my 375H&H rifles, so historiclly I have used mostly conventunal jacketed partitioned softs on my 375s, and Monolithic solids. Now however I have been haveing good success with North Fork monos in my doubles, so am starting to work up loads for my single barreled rifles as well, we'll see how that turns out!

quote:
I will put money on it that there will be a horde of misconceptions here.stir

I don't know about that! I find there are some pritty savy people on this web-site, not only about African game, but in the rifles best suited for the different members of the game there, and the bullets best used for those animals as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there is anyone here who knows it all,or is immune to misconceptions on any subject! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Intersting,

If you read the posts before viewing the poll results you would feel that it would be a head to head battle but the lead bullet leads the way over the monos with 50 odd percent.

The first ever bullet to pass trough my 375's barrel was the pmp mono wich incidentely I remebered the weight now 286gr. Penetration was fenominal I had a dead tree wich I use to put a target on about 20" thick and the monos just zipped trough it I was astounded. They were accurate as well. But then people told me that I could damage my barrel that was in 1994 and I switched to using the 270gr Hornady interlocks. And from there I dind't use the monos that much anymore.

I'm sure there are plenty off monos around that are super but it seems to me or it could be my rifle it is easier to get a decent load with lead bullets than monos just my expereince and that is mostly why I stick to lead and the damage in the animal itself.

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only killed about 9 plains animals and have used both a-frame softs and barnes solids. All the kills were one shot at ranges around 100 yds. All but one bullet exited the animals. Have bought some gs fn for next year, so, if the hunting gods smile upon me I will have some experience on "dg" with GS FN. So, at this time, I suppose that if restricted to one bullet type it would be a solid.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote