New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Ruger / .375 H&H magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was recently in a Cabelas store and was checking out pricing for both of the above cartridges in boxes of 20. They are both the same price at $49.95 per box which I was pretty well shocked at. I fully expected the Ruger cartridge to be around $10 - $20 more per box. Another thing that intrigued me was that the Hornady heavy magnum loads listed the velocity of the 270 grain and 300 grain bullets at 2870 and 2705 for the H&H rounds and at 2840 and 2660 for the Ruger rounds respectively. I am guessing that they are using the same double based powders and loading techniques for both of these cartridges. The pricing made me think it might be worth while to pick up a Ruger African Hawkeye rifle to try out but then I looked at the velocity and energy figures for both and started to think why? The Ruger round does look appealing but I also wondered how it would fare with reloading some of the 350 grain Woodleigh rounds that have brought the H&H up to another level of performance. Would they still be on par or would the H&H outclass the Ruger in this scenerio? What are your opinions?

Thanks,

jfm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some likes vanilla and some likes chocolate. IMHO the H&H will always be the standard that others will aspire to. The only reason to purchase the Ruger is if you love the rifle that it is in. If the hawkeye lights your fire by all means buy it, but if it were a 375 caliber that I were looking for I'd stick with the champion, the 375 H&H. Ammo and reloading component availability, resale value and cachet it all there.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Terry has said it all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you should find yourself stranded in Africa without the ammo you intended to bring from home (happens on a regular basis), few calibers can be found more easily than the .375 H&H.

Try locating .375 Ruger on the other hand...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made my prediction on another thread....

and for those who like Mauser actions, I can provide you with a 375 Ruger on a genuine modern comm'l mauser action with a hinged floorplate and a 24" medium weight cm barrel with Timney trigger Hogue Overmolded stock (or no stock if you want to stock it yourself...nothing easier to get an inletted stock for than the Mauser 98).

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess my main question on this post was how the two would compare when using the 350 grain Woodleigh bullets that have brought the .375 H&H magnum into a different category. I didn't know if the Ruger version would fare as well with the longer projectiles as it is a shorter case. Sorry if I didn't clarify that.

Thanks,

jfm

one of us
posted Hide Post
JFM,
I am sure the 375 Ruger will handle the 350 gr. just fine as it has more powder capacity than the Holland and Holland. It is a blown out .404 Jefferys case, shortened..

I won't sell my old H&H just to run out and buy a 375 Ruger, but if I were in your shoes I would give the Ruger a real close look, its a very well designed cartridge case on a std. action and I see a great future for it...

Folks around here have been yelling for a "beltless" .375 for years, now they got it, and I am surprised how many are negitive on this great round...

I just built myself a 416/375 Ruger and it handles the 450 gr. Woodleigh just fine. I will probably sell this one as a barreled action and build a .404/375 Ruger. Why? I have no idea, just seems like the thing to do! bewildered

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote