Notify
Tools

Probably insane, but...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
Was just watching CB, IC and some others on video chasing eles. Now I know less than zero about ele hunting, but from what I have taken in simply from watching is that a common PH tactic when a jumbo starts on a charge (be it perceived as a bluff or the real deal) is to whistle, shout and either (or both) wave hands or a rifle above their heads frantically. I will assume (knowing full well the dangers of same) that the idea is generally to make the hunters look as large/tall as can be, and to either confuse or otherwise attempt to turn the animal coming at them via intimidation/shock value.

Here's the question, would an apparatus such as a blow up doll, for lack of a better word, be any use? And no, not your open-mouthed blond variety. I mean more like an oversized lion, or man, that could be worn on the shoulders and deployed via compressed air? I was just musing that in a rifle/arm waving attempt to put down a charge, could it do a better job? I'm thinking an inflatable package worn as a backpack by one of the trackers or somesuch. PH yells, "deploy the snarly faced balloon lion NOW, Lucky!", and ole Lucky (assuming he will agree to stay put by the PH's and hunter's side and not beat feet) then hits a switch. Voila, a giant lion's head, bull ele head maybe even, or a ten foot tall Ronald McDonald in full attire but with a modified piehole full of sharp teeth pops up.

Now I know this would likely not work twice on a herd, and the tracker might be at some slight disadvantage in fleeing once deflation sets in, but if it actually worked, wouldn't it be preferable to shooting an animal such as a pissed off cow that wasn't falling for the okey doke arm waving stuff? Just musing.

If I build one (probably using auto airbag technology), I'd be willing to donate it to try out on a hunt. Walter, what're you doing next year, BTW...?

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bradking1
posted Hide Post
LMAO...Possibly??? Funny stuff

Posts: 403 | Location: SW IDAHO | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
sounds silly, but there is another aspect to it. Yes the large blow up doll maight frighten the animal away, but secondly , it may concentrate the animals anger on the object. For that reason it might not be sensible to place it in a back pack, but possibly as something you can throw in the Ellies path etc.....There are many stories of animals focusing on a hat or a shirt or something dropped by a fleeing victim..............That being said I have faced a few charges and cant say I would ever have had the time to deploy anything other than the safety catch on my weapon.

Build one...I am certain I can get a certain nut case PH to test them on the Save Elephant....if they work on them they will work anywhere

and LMAO

make sure it has lipstick tho

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of thinking one dosen't have time or the inclination to screw around with anything, much less a blow up doll, when an elephant is close and coming.....

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are correct. It sounds completely insane !

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
The blow up doll would be a bad idea as she would cetainly be kidnapped by an appy that has not been to town in the last three months.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a cross between a taser and an airbag that can be thrown. Sort of like a grenade, but inflates instantly instead of exploding. I've never faced a charge, but can't help but think it would be exceedingly distracting.

No idea is so insane that it cannot spur a more useful one.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
i have done just that with a black golf umbrella , we were hunting in open plains and yes its a great moveable blind as its like a ostrich decoy ! a young bull saw us and was walking in , i had my tracker suddenly open the umbrella and the bull ran for his life - thats just one incident though and i wouldnt base a whole result on one incident !

nothing stops a serious charge though (except a bullett in the brain!)

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
Ivan, I saw a video of a PH using and umbrella to sneak up on Buf. The client might have been Tony Makris. Was that you ???

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of photo guides carry some sort of flash/bang thing, like a big firecracker. I'd bet they'd go for it in a minute. A blow-up doll is so much more gentle. They might even find other uses for it. Big Grin

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen Ivan take his doll out of the tent.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
I have never seen Ivan take his doll out of the tent.

jumping

I've also used an unbrella or two over the years (for hunting but not in charge situations)and often found it to be quite successful.

The other advantage is that even if it doesn't work, you can always entertain the animals, the clients and the hunting team with a verse or two of 'Singin' In The Rain'

animal rotflmo jumping rotflmo animal

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
my doll is not in the shape of a human

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, I know nothing about hunting elephants, but I used to work for an electric power company. That umbrella trick is used quite often by power company employees whose job it is to enter customer's yard where dog are present and the owner is not available to control the dog. All meter readers, etc, carry a fast opening over sized black umbrella.

When you open it in front of an attacking dog when they are about 10 feet away, the dog either gets confused or turns and runs. Basically, it takes their target out of their vision. I have had to use it myself and can vouch for the fact that it does work. It won't work forever, but it does give you time to get away.

So, there is some basis for the umbrella trick working, but, I don't know if I'd bet my life on it with a charging elephant. Much bigger than a dog. :-)

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
now ivan

that is just baaaadddd

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
my doll is not in the shape of a human

Mate, that's a pretty baaaaaaaaad confession.

You're not Welsh by any chance are you?

jumping

Peter,

We both posted at the same time...... great minds obviously think alike huh? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a 3ft. square photo of my ex mother in law would stop any charge, any animal, every time.UGHHHHHHHH

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
being from the south I have to ask if your emotionally attached to your doll? like red necks and there livestock? rotflmo

Steve I alway thought you only knew how to sing that one song!!! you know the one I can't remember the name Eekerbut I hear it in my sleep since I got back from Uganda rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I used to know 'Singin' In The Rain' from my tap dancing days but had to give that up because I kept falling into the sink and hurting myself.

animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one good thing with your legs it was not a long fall rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo Thats also why your so lucky when you say your tired and your a$$ is dragging It does not have to fall far to drag jumping rotflmo Hey buddy how's your day been??? Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I have often wondered why PH's that specialize in this type of elephant hunting (such as Ivan & Buzz) don't have some sort of air can powered horn. Wouldn't a loud sound tend to halt a charge? Or maybe the opposite. What about it Ivan?

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Hey buddy how's your day been??? Big Grin

Trust me. You REALLY don't want to know! Roll Eyes Eeker Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:

nothing stops a serious charge though (except a bullett in the brain!)

Oh, I dunno'. Get me in on an ele charge with me armed with a flame thrower. I bet there's more than only one way to skin a cat. Oh, you meant legally? OK, I quit then. Smiler

More seriously, what about other types of non-lethal defenses? How about a souped-up taser? How do eles react to a fire extinguisher full of a mace/bear spray type product? Again, I think all we need is some ingenuity. Oh, and some testers. Oh, Waaaaaaaaaaaaalter!!!

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you accidental got one that sounded like a cow in season you could get raped animal animal animal animal animal animal animal animal and I don't think Ivan is ready to dump his blowup doll for a new significant other yet animal animal animal animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan, you're scaring me. Maybe this would work?
http://www.muttonbone.com/?gcl...n316MCFYXV5wodwUQruw

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Ivan, you're scaring me. Maybe this would work?
http://www.muttonbone.com/?gcl...n316MCFYXV5wodwUQruw

Only in America........ and maybe Wales...... and Maybe New Zealand. rotflmo

Just imagine the laughs you could have in a hunting camp with something like an inflatable hippo or lion etc. jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya in the UK you stick to sheep right you don't like fat like hippo's jumping jumping jumping

I think I'll sleep with my rifle close at hand next time were in camp!!!!!!! rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo for self protection

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Alexander Lake wrote about putting a dead hippo in the toilet of an unwelcome guest and the reaction of the guest when he went in there in the middle of the night.

Damn but I'd get some serious mileage out of an inflatable hippo. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ask nicely and I'll start looking for your new toy!!!!!!!!!!! animal animal animal animal would you settle for a barney the purple dinosaur animal jumping animal

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've already started looking!! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
your sick you know that? I like that in all my friend!!!! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh Oh, now you done it.

Walter will see this and he will come up with something. Now we have to make sure we sign up to see Saeed's next video.
Think of Walter in a modified "Fat Suit" as a little girl buff sneaking up on a innocent Dugga Boy and going "moooo big boy" (or would that be considered baiting?).

Saeed sign me up Now!

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OHHH no your right we should not give Walter any ideas he has not had on his own already. and Saeed does not have the legs for that kind of joke anyway animal animal

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Go on, you all have your fun now. When I'm laughing all the way to the bank we'll see who laughs last. The prototype is being constructed as we speak. Here's a preview. Patent application already submitted, so none of you invention stealing snakes bother trying to pirate my idea. This means you in particular, Chinese members!