Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Shirts and Pants
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
In the market for some non-camo short sleeve shirts and pants. Prefer dark colors for Africa. Where should I look? All the Tag Safari stuff is light colored.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy my shorts from Cabelas - the 7 pocket cheap ones.

For shirts, I buy Magellan at Academy.

I leave them all behind after the safari.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
I shop at the 2nd hand stores

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Columbia fishing shirts, whichever series is all cotton. Got several in dark green and olive.

Wrangler "Olive" jeans. More like light brown, but whatever. They are also available in dark brown and dark green. Don't remember what cut or series they are.

Neither are classic "safari" clothes, but I'm comfortable in them and they work.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Wrangler makes a cargo pocket pant that is made from a rip stop material. They are perfect for warm weather hunting. Light and breathable. They don't last along time but there around $20 so it doesn't matter.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I second the second hand stores then I leave most clothes over there
I try to travel back with one shirt on my back as I don't want all the females ( especially flight attendants) to faint seeing me without shirt
Safe travels...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bass Pro has some great light weight long sleeved shirts for <$20.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Here in the South we have what are locally called "quail pants." Long trousers with a brush-resistant facing from knee to ankle. Really helps in thornbush.

They can be of any material and some are pretty expensive, but you can also get them in denim (jeans) with synthetic facing. I have some in both blue and brown; both work well in the bush.

You can get them at some local clothing or outdoor stores, or online through various sources.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rune Hallgeir
posted Hide Post
What about TAG clothing?

Be aware of that the animal will see the colour blue, all others will be greyish..

SCI Official measurer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the Wrangler pants and BassPro shirts. They are lightweight, coolish, and hold up well. Plus they are inexpensive so you won't cry if you shred them.

Pants - https://www.wrangler.com/shop/...nts#categoryId=17673

Shirts - http://www.basspro.com/RedHead...duct/13102507012511/

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been wearing the Cabela's 7 pocket pants and shorts for years. They hold up really well for day to day wear. I plan on wearing them to SA this fall, as well. I also like the Cabela's serengeti shirts. I've numerous colors in both long and short sleeve. They also hold up quite well to day to day wear.

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLJ
posted Hide Post
Carthartt clothing makes some really nice light weight stuff. I'm lucky and have a Carhartt store near by to check out items before I buy. Should be able to get anything online.

Posts: 36 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 01 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Little Joe,

Buy whatever is cheap and durable. Med weight cotton long pants and long sleeve shirt have worked well for me. The real light weight stuff does not hold up to thorns and other nasty stuff. 14 pockets and epaulets are not necessary. If you buy "Safari" gear you'll pay more for no benefit. Look to Wal Mart and the 2nd hand store sounds like a good option also as suggested.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Columbia shorts. I only take 100% cotton shirts and pants when I go to Africa.

I stay away from heavy materials. Africa is just too hot to walk around in heavy canvas style pants and shirts.

I like long-sleeve shirts that can be rolled up. Sometimes mornings are cold, but by mid day it is scorching.

I prefer dark green and dark khaki for shorts and pants, and dark green, khaki, or light blue for shirts.

Sometimes you can find those types of clothes at Walmart or Sears at really cheap prices.

JMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Little Joe,

Buy whatever is cheap and durable. Med weight cotton long pants and long sleeve shirt have worked well for me. The real light weight stuff does not hold up to thorns and other nasty stuff. 14 pockets and epaulets are not necessary. If you buy "Safari" gear you'll pay more for no benefit. Look to Wal Mart and the 2nd hand store sounds like a good option also as suggested.

Mark

You mean buying a $150 Courtney shirt won't ensure my success? Crap!'

If you look at how trackers dress, you should get an idea of what works - it don't take much.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I had good luck in Namibia and South Africa (and here for that matter) with brown Wranglers and light green or tan Cabela's cotton trail shirts.

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Baxter,

You hit the nail on the head. Spend your money on your hunting not not your kit.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for wrangler jeans. They carry a color called mesquite. It's a dark green color, and just gets better as it fades. Worked great for me. Andy#3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Filson's feather cloth or UA Tees for shirts, and 5.11 tacticals for trousers. You will thank me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Purchased some REDHEAD cotton shirts from Dallas BASSPRO which are ideal for Africa or Australia and are well priced

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at Orvis.

Very heavy cotton and the olive green is neither too dark nor too light.

Will turn thorns and will last more than one trip Smiler

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
Tractor Supply

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
511 has some good stuff in solid colors that work well.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Gunny Ermy wears Tru-Spec, and every since I switched to them from 5.11 and Blackhawk, I noticed I looked less tacticool and was more comfortable.

5.11 is like a cheap motel, there is no ball room.

I would claim that all three are pretty pro 2nd amendment. Blackhawk is owned by a former SEAL, Tru-Spec's owners have Gunny Ermy as their face, and 5.11 is well known in gun circles.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Oh, and buy them on Amazon or through LA Police gear, you will pay much less than retail.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all of the comments and input. I don't care about the look; all about comfort and a reasonable cost. Not a big camo guy unless in the states so I prefer to be non-camo in Africa.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote