Find
Notify
Tools

Edward VIII Lion King Movie
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
Not sure if anyone has seen this, but it's about Edward VIII his trip to Africa and its after-effects. There are actual moving pictures of Denys Finch-Hatton and Bror Blixen in the show - something I did not know existed, nor would ever see. There is even live footage of the famous scene of Edward and Denys having tea, and just after footage of a charging rhino killed by Denys - probably with his .450 Lancaster. Kind of paints Edward as the first "conservationist" hunter. Magnificent footage from Edward's movie camera. It's simply amazing to see in moving pictures "how it was" without it being a re-creation.

Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/71853226

DF-H on the double:

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Fantastic footage! Pity about the anti propaganda overveiw... love the bit where they go on to say he was concerned there was a problem with so much sport hunting, yet they say that over footage of his Safari group carrying about a dozen rifles. Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done. What times those must have been. I wonder if Roosevelt's safari really shot 11000 animals!!!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Very well done. What times those must have been. I wonder if Roosevelt's safari really shot 11000 animals!!!

I would say "collected." From butterflies to mice to elephant. That trip was not solely an adventure, so to speak. Even Roosevelt himself drew a line between what they did to collect specimens and sport hunting.

It's convenient they took the opportunity to jab the American while claiming the Englishman as savior. Purely objective, you see. And how about all those great public hunting grounds in England, what?

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Interesting video and worth taking time to watch. I, too, was slightly rankled at their portrayal of Roosevelt as a butcher and not a conservationist. No mention of what he did here in the US for conservation or our park system. Also found it funny that only Americans were pointed out as having "shot from cars" and using automatic weapons.

However, I think we are all pleased that so many parks like the Serengeti were created by the Brits to help preserve the continent's wildlife.

Signed,
An unapologetic American

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this video, incredible footage of a lost era.
As you pointed out, many of the 11,000 were bugs birds and rodents. The trip was, in addition to a monumental safari, a collecting expedition for the Smithsonian. I understand many of exibits are still are on display.
Seems Teddy was more interested in collecting critters than Edward was in collecting booze and bimbos.

Posts: 375 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Wonderful video. The old footage is amazing to see. I also found the concerns expressed by folks like Finch Hatton regarding ethical hunting and unsportsmanlike behavior to be relevant almost a century later. Would have been marvelous to experience the grandeur of safari during that era. Thank you for sharing.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed it.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to see Bror Blixen. Great video!.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
wonderful sharing thankx

ur 3 greatest hunts r, ur 1st,ur last,and ur next!!!!

Posts: 254 | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
Good to see Bror Blixen. Great video!.

Yes! It's weird...seeing moving pictures of him and Finch Hatton (and I believe the very skinny fellow in the BIG hat was Berkely Cole who started Muthaiga Club) gives them a sense of realness and mortality that still pictures don't (to me). It's like when I saw moving pictures of my grandfather (who I never knew) for the first time - all of a sudden there he was, occupying space in the same world in which I existed (although a different time). He moved from mythic figure on paper, to a real person. Dunno - then again I think about these things too much.

I'm a devoted Finch Hattonian. If you read all of his letters to the papers (mentioned in the movie), you'll see it was HE who was so far ahead in regards to conservation. And, unlike the movie tries to infer, I don't think putting away his rifles permanently was ever a consideration.

You can also download this movie by using the link on the page. Might be a good idea in the event you want to share it if they ever take it down.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for finding and sharing this, Baxter. Very enjoyable.

Except for the British propaganda.

The "false news" attacks on Roosevelt were based on gross misrepresentations and outright lies.

The "authors" must have counted every spider, beetle, butterfly and other insect to get to 11,000 animals killed during the Roosevelt safari. IIRC, the Roosevelt safari, over nine months or so, killed fewer than 600 big game animals. Many, if not most, of them were destined to be Smithsonian museum specimens, and besides that, served as meat for their very large camp.

The "authors" of this piece used every effort to elevate Edward, who was a spoiled, dissolute playboy, famous primarily for refusing the crown, to conservationist status. (God forbid that Edward might have actually been a hunter. We must repackage that!)

Any idea that Edward ever had about conservation, Theodore Roosevelt had first, as in 30 years earlier, and had successfully implemented.

This production's weak attempt at revisionist history might be forgivable, given the odd, but essentially British, abject worship of their "Royals."

But to attempt to denigrate and insult the memory of Roosevelt, who is arguably the greatest public conservationist who ever lived, is unforgivable.

I would have enjoyed the film more without the narration!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Thanks for finding and sharing this, Baxter. Very enjoyable.

Except for the British propaganda.

The "false news" attacks on Roosevelt were based on gross misrepresentations and outright lies.

The "authors" must have counted every spider, beetle, butterfly and other insect to get to 11,000 animals killed during the Roosevelt safari. IIRC, the Roosevelt safari, over nine months or so, killed fewer than 600 big game animals. Many, if not most, of them were destined to be Smithsonian museum specimens, and besides that, served as meat for their very large camp.

The "authors" of this piece used every effort to elevate Edward, who was a spoiled, dissolute playboy, famous primarily for refusing the crown, to conservationist status. (God forbid that Edward might have actually been a hunter. We must repackage that!)

Any idea that Edward ever had about conservation, Theodore Roosevelt had first, as in 30 years earlier, and had successfully implemented.

This production's weak attempt at revisionist history might be forgivable, given the odd, but essentially British, abject worship of their "Royals."

But to attempt to denigrate and insult the memory of Roosevelt, who is arguably the greatest public conservationist who ever lived, is unforgivable.

I would have enjoyed the film more without the narration!

I think no better comment on the movie's treatment of Roosevelt can be found than Roosevelt's own words at the end of African Game Trails:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a Theadore Rosevelt fan, and consider him the founder face f hunting conservation. However, Brutle Bull's encyclopedic work Safari does not paint a pretty picture of Rosevelt in Africa. That fest was he unnecessarily overshot game including cub lions and rhino. I cannot photo the page, but my memory seems that Rosevelt felt the rhino was more pest that stood in the way of euro progress.

Bull was especially critical of Rosevelt shooting up rhino in a reserve he got special dispensation to hunt in.

I am not that hard on Rosevelt as Bull because Rosevelt was collecting family group spcicmens for 2 museums (not just the Field), lion were considered undesirable due to cattle, and he did not shot well. It was also nearly a year long safari. However, the criticism does have merit.

Posts: 12093 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I am a Theadore Rosevelt fan, and consider him the founder face f hunting conservation. However, Brutle Bull's encyclopedic work Safari does not paint a pretty picture of Rosevelt in Africa. That fest was he unnecessarily overshot game including cub lions and rhino. I cannot photo the page, but my memory seems that Rosevelt felt the rhino was more pest that stood in the way of euro progress.

Bull was especially critical of Rosevelt shooting up rhino in a reserve he got special dispensation to hunt in.

I am not that hard on Rosevelt as Bull because Rosevelt was collecting family group spcicmens for 2 museums (not just the Field), lion were considered undesirable due to cattle, and he did not shot well. It was also nearly a year long safari. However, the criticism does have merit.

It was the Lado Enclave he shot the rhino. The criticism is fair, if a bit reflective. There's no doubt TR felt the need to accomplish what he set out to do, and as in other parts of his life, to do so, he would let very little - if anything - stand in the way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BaxterB: By the way thank you for posting this video. My wife and I enjoyed it very much. Any chance you could post it on Facebook or some broader social media.

Posts: 12093 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
BaxterB: By the way thank you for posting this video. My wife and I enjoyed it very much. Any chance you could post it on Facebook or some broader social media.

My pleasure. It was posted to Vimeo by one of the creators (I believe, by reading the comments). IF you look on the right side of the screen as the page opens, you will see a little paper airplane, click it. You can share it that way to your feeds.

I wish they would release much, much more of Edward's film. I find it fascinating.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Outstanding footage! Thank you, Baxter.

I think the criticism of TR is a bit much, taken in the overall context of his contribution to conservation, but fair.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:

I think the criticism of TR is a bit much, taken in the overall context of his contribution to conservation, but fair.

Agreed, plus it must be borne in mind that the safari took place over 100 years ago and lasted almost ten months. The big game animal list, while no doubt large, was not beyond the pale, 17 lion, 3 leopard, 7 cheetah, 9 hyena, 11 elephant, 10 buffalo, 11 black rhino and 9 white rhino. Also the safari consisted of more than 250 porters and guides that had to be fed too. By today's standards, the bag seems excessive . . . but the same can be said for many non-hunting related things too in retrospect.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Agreed, plus it must be borne in mind that the safari took place over 100 years ago and lasted almost ten months. The big game animal list, while no doubt large, was not beyond the pale, 17 lion, 3 leopard, 7 cheetah, 9 hyena, 11 elephant, 10 buffalo, 11 black rhino and 9 white rhino. Also the safari consisted of more than 250 porters and guides that had to be fed too. By today's standards, the bag seems excessive . . . but the same can be said for many non-hunting related things too in retrospect.

Gentleman, please understand I agree on all points regarding TR. TR was also collecting family specimens for two museums. Just wanting to make all aware the criticism is not out from left field, but had been expressed in writing by fairly known published work. My intention is not to attack TR, but to share info so if asked you can address it clearly.

He was the best of his time. Maybe, we can build on his example and doctrine and be better. That I do not think is a cruel statement.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Gentleman, please understand I agree on all points regarding TR. TR was also collecting family specimens for two museums. Just wanting to make all aware the criticism is not out from left field, but had been expressed in writing by fairly known published work. My intention is not to attack TR, but to share info so if asked you can address it clearly.

He was the best of his time. Maybe, we can build on his example and doctrine and be better. That I do not think is a cruel statement.

+1