Find
Notify
Tools

Hippo - softs or solids?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Coming off the Big Bore section where there is a thread on 416 ammo a number of contributors mention solids for ele and hippo !?

Hunted hippo on land in Zim end of 2017, using softs and the PHs double. Did the job fine.

Is there a hard and fast rule as to what bullet for hippo ?

Interested to get opinions and thoughts.

Cheers

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2321 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Charles,

A fairly safe rule is a good quality 'soft' followed by a solid.

The theory being is on hippo that you have ample time to align your first shot and a head shot with a 'soft' is devastating and allows for some margin of error.

In the event of wounding your quarry the target will change quite dramatically and for example a quartering or going away body shot maybe all that presents itself.

Although many claim shooting a hippo in water is like shooting a fish in a barrel you would be surprised at how many completely fluff it up!

In addition when a hippo charges you from water you are confronted by a Tsunami of teeth which will require a good penetrating projectile.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Shot many with Barnes X and Walterhogs bullets.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68598 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A-Frames or Barnes X would do the job though preference would lean towards the Barnes.

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you specifically talking about hunting hippo on land, using body shots? When people shoot them in the water, they are going for the brain with a soft so it's a drastically different bullet requirement.

I shot mine on land, with four 500gr solids from my 458 Lott, all in the body. None passed through him (I have all four). Based on the amount of penetration I've had with Barnes X bullets on buffalo, I might not be confident that I could 'double lung' a big bull hippo with softs in the body.

I might try an X in the chamber, with a magazine full of solids to back it up. Especially if he were in the open, where I felt confident that I could hit him multiple times.

I would only shoot a hippo in the water if I were desperate for a big lion bait, and could not find one on dry ground. For me, it would not be 'hunting dangerous game.' I very much enjoyed the hunt and certainly hope to bag another hippo on land someday!

Posts: 446 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I think you should let the hippo decide how he wants to die- softly or solidly......

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question. I was hunting hippo, in water, my PH suggested that I use a BARNES TSX first for a brain shot and I fel5 I should use a solid. I shot front on, perfectly between ears. The TSX opened up quickly and drilled a trench down the skull even though the shot was perfectly placed. Afterwards he told be that I should have used a solid first and that it was a learning experience for him. The hippo was finished with some follow up shots but it was a bit dicey for a while. Bottom line - SOLIDS.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The Barnes X is hard to beat. But the caliber and velocity must be sufficient. I use .509s at 2,500 fps. With lesser calibers, I would be inclined to use Barnes Banded Solids.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
Are you specifically talking about hunting hippo on land, using body shots? When people shoot them in the water, they are going for the brain with a soft so it's a drastically different bullet requirement.

I shot mine on land, with four 500gr solids from my 458 Lott, all in the body. None passed through him (I have all four). Based on the amount of penetration I've had with Barnes X bullets on buffalo, I might not be confident that I could 'double lung' a big bull hippo with softs in the body.

I might try an X in the chamber, with a magazine full of solids to back it up. Especially if he were in the open, where I felt confident that I could hit him multiple times.

I would only shoot a hippo in the water if I were desperate for a big lion bait, and could not find one on dry ground. For me, it would not be 'hunting dangerous game.' I very much enjoyed the hunt and certainly hope to bag another hippo on land someday!

I have shot dozens of hippo, both in the water and on land.

Always took a head shot.

Never had a failure.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68598 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Charles,

A fairly safe rule is a good quality 'soft' followed by a solid.

The theory being is on hippo that you have ample time to align your first shot and a head shot with a 'soft' is devastating and allows for some margin of error.

In the event of wounding your quarry the target will change quite dramatically and for example a quartering or going away body shot maybe all that presents itself.

Although many claim shooting a hippo in water is like shooting a fish in a barrel you would be surprised at how many completely fluff it up!

In addition when a hippo charges you from water you are confronted by a Tsunami of teeth which will require a good penetrating projectile.

Gentlemen, the above is the reason one always asks a question of a person who knows the correct answer. Andrew is the one to ask!

If you miss the brain with that first shot and he gets back in the water he may or may not survive. The only shot that will stop him in his tracks is a solid through the brain or a big soft near the brain. IN the water all the target you have is the brain, and on land if he charges you the brain is the only target that will stop him in his tracks regardless of bullet type.
...................................................................... Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always used TSX or Northfork cup point solids (depending on which rifle)

The head shot is not that demanding of the bullet, I was taken out after one with an 06 for tribal rations, but we couldn't find one quickly enough to make it happen.

If you fluff the shot, especially on land you will want solids at that point!

Posts: 10963 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 4 hippos for cat baits and they've all been in the water. A soft works very well for that and only puts one hole in the skull. A solid as I found out messes the skull up more because it makes two hole and this is relevant if your going to keep the skull as a trophy. After looking at how thick the hippos skin was on the bulls I shot there is no question in my mind that I'd use the biggest bore I had with solids if I were hunting them on land and anticipated making body shots.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
My three hippos were all with solids. One with a .450-400 and two with a .600.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is similar to Saeed's. I began shooting hippo with my large caliber solids, even for head shots. Later I learned that good expanding bullets for brain shots were just as effective. I shot my last hippo with Fairgame using a .300 Win. Mag. with a 200gr TSX with no problem. That does not mean that I think a .300 Win. mag is suitable for a hippo on dry land or a wounded hippo anywhere. MMP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a hippo on land back in October. Shot was about 45 yards and my 416 Rigby with solids put him down after a 50 yard dash. Shot was right behind the shoulder. Solid was Hornady DGS. Same I used on water buffalo in Argentina with same results but half the run.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took a 30 yard shot with a solid standing rest. 250 gr. Barnes solid from a 9.3 x 62 about 1" below the ear hole on advice from the Ph. Worked perfectly, hippo looked like it just went to sleep, small entrance & exit hole, traversed the brain.
A lot of work to get that bad boy out of the water.