THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Rings - QD or not QD -Ruger Alaskan 375

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rings - QD or not QD -Ruger Alaskan 375
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My intent was to put a set of Talley QD rings on my Ruger Alaskan 375. Well, they don't make them. Know the Ruger factory rings are solid, but they're no QD. I looked for a set of the Pilkington levers to turn them into QD rings, but can no longer find a source as it appears they are no longer manufactured. Considering the Warne QD rings and know they have a good reputation, but did read a case of the lever loosening from recoil.
So how important is it to have "QD" rings? My understanding is the Ruger rings are solid and easily removed with nothing more than a coin. Personally, I think the convenience of a set of QDs would be great, but am thinking if the Rugers are reliable and relatively easy to remove if necessary I may jus go with those.

Comments? Recommendations?

Posts: 27 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 08 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have Warne QD rings on my Ruger Alaskan in .416. I've shot the gun a couple hundred times and never had a problem, either with losing zero when removing and re-attatching or just shooting the rifle.

My daughter also has them on her African model in .375 Ruger. They work just fine thereupon, too.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PNWGator,

I'd try the Ruger ring's repeatability before buying anything. They might surprise you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I run a set of warne QD steel rings on my 416 Alaskan with Noooooooooo problems. Repeatability during the two times that I tested it was actually quite good. They are MUCH faster/easier to remove than the factory rings (which are very good by the way).

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Warne QD's on my 416 Taylor. I shoot it pretty regularly, and have had no problems with it coming loose or with change in POI when taking them on and off. The Ruger rings return to zero and are rock solid, for me, but not as handy as the Warne's. The Warnes are heavy.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Guys,
Got a question that has probably been asked when sights were probably attached to atlatls.
Are QDs really necessary today?
I have QDs on my .395 and .450, but have never found the need for them. Have I just been lucky? I do use the very-low-powered variables on these rifles, though.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have Warne QD's on one rifle so I can bring an extra scope on trips. If you are inclined they would allow you to remove the scope and shoot irons on your DG rifle.
Personally I have only ever had 1 scope fail on me in over 50 years of hunting and I would rather follow up DG with a low power variable but YMMV.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I'm of the opinion that the Warne QD rings are every bit as good, and maybe even better than Talley. Built like a tank. And Warne makes QD rings for Ruger bases. I also agree with Mark on the Ruger ring's ability to hold zero after taking them off/on.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Rugers which are each equipped with two scopes mounted in two separate sets of regular Ruger rings. On and off easily with a coin or key, and by gradually and alternately tightening both rings to the same point I find they usually return to within 1.5 or even 1 MOA. A lot of supposedly "QD" rings don't do any better.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote