New
Find
Notify
Tools

father/son one gun case RSA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We will both be taking just one gun apiece. We most likely will fly SAA Chicago/JNB direct. Do you see any reason why we can't just put them together in my aluminum gun case? We did just that, going to Idaho, last fall, with zero problems. We would each do our own SAPS 520s, and import docs., we'd just be flying them together in one case. Any thoughts?

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
My dad and I did this, but we made sure to put the guns (on the SAPS and US Customs forms) into the name of the person carrying the baggage in which they're stored. There could be issues with claiming a gun that's in the possession of another. Confused

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DesertRam has a good point. Logic does not dictate.

Is ammunition carried separately? Sometimes no problems; sometimes issues that ammo has to be carried in separate case from rifles.

Do you have an agent helping you through African customs? Air 2000/Hunter's Support has always done a good job for us.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We will use a hunter support company, when we go. Have to see what they say about 1 case, 2 guns. My son will need a letter of invitation, and letter of intent, just like me. doesn't that open a can of worms, unless you lie and say he is just an observer. I would think that as long as we had our documentation down, both guns in one case wouldn't be an issue.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO, I don't think it will be an issue. If you have a concern though, like others have suggested, put them in your name, then only you need a letter of intent, gun forms filled out etc... It is really no big deal since many people show up and just rent a gun and never deal with the SAP's office at all, so both guns in your name and him hunting is no big deal. I understand your concern, but it really is not worth worrying about.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how old your son is, SA has a minimum age on bringing in a rifle, cannot remember what it is.

There does not seem to be a problem with 2 people having their guns in the same case. My wife and I did that on our last trip, we had 3 long guns each and 3 guncases. no problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the a visitor to RSA can not bring two rifles of the same caliber into the country. I'd think that having two in the same case could create a problem for some minion, regardless of the SAPS forms.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done what you are suggesting several times, and never had a problem or even had it questioned. Sometimes I just put all the guns in my name (when traveling with my son) and sometimes when traveling with a firend, we have each filled out our own SAP form. No one ever cared what case they were in.
You will be alright.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my friend and I hunted RSA a couple years ago I bought his rifle from him for $1 prior to registering it with US Customs and entering RSA and was therefore able to legally-- and truthfully-- claim it as mine for all purposes. After we got home I sold it back, though I can't explicitly recall if he ever paid me the dollar!
This way we put both his rifle and mine in one case. No problems.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
One form 4457 and one SAPS application under one name for all of the guns is the best way. That is, unless the two rifles are the same caliber as the Judge has suggested. What would be the difference if he used one of the PH's rifles, or was an observer until he arrived and decided to hunt, etc? Should be no problem, and having it under one name and one form would be much easier than explaining why both of you have rifles in the same case, etc. etc. And, as you know, they may not have cared about the guns being in the same case the last trip around, but this time. . . .

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only real reason to have two different SAPS forms is if you are each going to be hunting different properties. Sometimes in RSA, I would go to one area to hunt, and my son or friend would go with a different PH in a different truck to an entirely different ranch. Technically each had to be carrying the proper SAPS form while in transit. We were never asked to display these forms in transit, either.

Use the same case, and each get different forms. This is much ado about nothing...

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Maddog, My father and I did this in 2005 with no problems. We had forms for each of us, but they only let me in the office since it was my case. If I were you I would claim both guns yours to reduce an unneccesary hassle.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote