New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safety Position
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On the other thread about the Atcheson buffalo attack, a few posters stated they would never have the rifle OFF safety when following up a wounded DG under any circumstances.

I just wanted to ask whether this was stated with the view that they are normally "clients" following a PH/tracker ahead of them or whether this would be the same if they were the "lead" person on the follow-up?

I ask because when I am following a wounded buffalo in thick cover and I am not sure of where it is, I sure as hell keep the safety OFF. but then i'm normally the only guy with a rifle and leading the follow-up i.e. noone in front of me.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Absolutely.

I am shoulder to shoulder with my PH and our trackers when I am in fear for my life and my safety is well and truly OFF!

I don't have a world of experience, but I have followed up two shot but not dead lions (one for three days), multiple shot but not dead but still, as it turned out, dying buffalo, and one running like hell and dead on his feet but still running like hell hippo--and in no single case did anyone stand between me and them.

My right index finger was straight outside the trigger guard, but my rifle was always ready to fire without any intermediating bullshit on the part of my thumb.

How anyone can do otherwise I just don't understand.

[Edited: I should have made clear that the situations I describe are when we KNOW where the animal(s) are located or at least the general vicinity and we are CLOSE.]

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I keep the safty on, I can flick it off and shoot just as quick, and if I stumble or fall in a hole I won't kill anyone..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray
I'm no expert and I've never had to follow up a wounded Buffalo, but I tend to agree with you. I don't like to follow anyone with a round chambered and the safety off, sheeet happens, and if you are following up it is already happening. Actually, since I really don't trust safeties, I really don't like to chamber a round until I am about to fire. This isn't practical on a follow up, this is why I like my Krieghoff. I can follow with the chambers loaded but the rifle not cocked. Cocking it takes only slightly more time than releasing a conventional safety, certainly less than it takes to shoulder the gun.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I really learned the drill of hunting rifles under Jeff Cooper at Gunsite. Anyone trained there will have acquired the Four Rules, and will also have a "firing stroke" with the pistol or rifle that ensures the safety comes off before the finger presses the trigger. Once learned, it is kinesthetic -- ie. your nerves and muscles do it for you.

The Four Rules keep your muzzle safe, among other virtues.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I have the trackers in front of where they can do their job properly and I carry my rifle at the high port with my thumb on the safety which is in the safe position. My trigger finger is alongside the trigger guard.

The speed of getting the shot off is usually/often dictated by the speed the trackers can get out of the way and I can be ready to shoot faster than they can hit the ground or get up a tree etc.