Find
Notify
Tools

Some facts on RSA
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted
A lot of negative things have been said about RSA in the past, but, here are a couple of interesting facts about our country. I still think it is the best place in the world.

FIFTY FACTS ABOUT A REMARKABLE NATION

Economy

1. The rand was the best performing currency against the US Dollar between 2002 and 2005

2. South Africa has 37000 high net-wealth individuals (holding at least US$1million in financial assets)

3. South Africa has the 26th biggest economy in the world, with a Gross Domestic Product of US$126 billion

4. South Africa accounts for almost 45% of the GDP of the entire African continent, with an economy three times the size of the second biggest (Egypt)

5. Gauteng is South Africa's smallest province but produces 37% of South Africa's Gross Domestic Product

6. The Johannesburg Stock Exchange is one of the fifteen largest in the world in terms of market capitalization

7. South Africa's banking system is ranked 8th in the world.

Infrastructure

1. South Africa generates two-thirds of Africa's electricity

2. Forty percent of Africa's telephones are in South Africa

3. South African power supplier provides the fourth cheapest electricity in the world

4. Chris Hani-Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto is the biggest hospital in the world

5. South Africa is one of only 12 countries with potable tap water

6. Durban is the largest port in Africa and the ninth largest in the world

7. There are 22 million cell phone users in South Africa

Social

1. Ten million South Africans (a quarter of the population) have access to social grants

2. Since 1994, 500 houses have been built each day for the poor and 1,000 houses per day have received electricity

3. Seventy percent of South Africa's population is urbanized

4. Our population is set to stabilize at around 45 million people for the next 20 years

5. In the past 2 years, 300 000 people have moved into the middle classes and 500 000 have moved out of poverty, but we still have 20% of the population living in poverty

Tourism

1. The number of tourists visiting South Africa has grown by 116% since 1994

2. The Singita game reserve was voted the best hotel in the world by the readers of a leading travel magazine

3. For every seven tourists who journey to South Africa, one permanent job is created

4. The world's best land-based whale-watching spot is located in Hermanus in the Western Cape

5. In 2002, South Africa was the world's fastest growing tourist destination

Sport

1. The Cape Argus Cycle Tour is the largest timed cycle race in the world

2. South Africa will become the first African country to host the Soccer World Cup in 2010

3. South Africa has two golfers in the World's Top 10

4. In 1994, we won 11 medals in the Commonwealth Games. In 2002, we won 46

SA Teaching the World

1. South Africa houses one of the three largest telescopes in the world at Sutherland in the Karoo

2. South Africa is the first, and to date the only, country to build nuclear weapons and the voluntarily dismantle its entire nuclear weapons programme

3. South Africa has the 8th best ratio of women to men in Parliament

4. South Africa Constitution is widely regarded as being one of the most progressive in the world, drawing from the experiences of the world's most advanced democracies

5. South African Dr Christiaan Barnard performed the world's first heart transplant in 1967 in Cape Town

6. The South African oil company Sasol has established the only commercially proven oil-from-coal operations in the world

7. Two of the world's most profoundly compassionate philosophies originated in South Africa - Ubuntu (the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity) and Gandhi's notion of "passive resistance" (Satyagraha), which he developed while living in South Africa.

Education

1. Almost a quarter of South Africa's non-interest budget is spent on education

2. The University of South Africa UNISA is a pioneer of tertiary distance education and is the largest correspondence university in the world with 250,000 students

3. Our learner to teacher ratio has improved from 1:50 in 1994 to 1:34 in 2004

4. South Africa's matric pass rate has improved from 49% in 1994 to 70% in 2004, but student's receiving university exemptions has remained at 18%

5. The adult literacy rate in South Africa now exceeds 80%

Environmental

1. The Kruger National Park supports the greatest variety of wildlife species on the African continent

2. The Cango Caves near Oudsthoorn is the world's longest underground cave sequence

3. South Africa is home to both the largest land mammal (elephant) and the smallest mammal (shrew)

4. South Africa is the only country to house an entire floral kingdom (fynbos), one of only 6 on the planet

5. In 1991, South Africa became the first country in the world to protect the Great White shark

6. South Africa has the oldest meteor scar in the world, at the Vredefort Dome near Parys. The scar is 2 billion years old

7. South Africa has the third highest level of biodiversity worldwide

8. The Cape Hyrax's (dassie) closest relative is the African elephant

9. South Africa has embraced the concept of trans-frontier 'peace parks', linking ecological reserves across national borders

General

1. South Africa is the cradle of mankind

2. Afrikaans is the youngest official language in the world

3. The Western Deep Levels is the world's deepest mine at 3777 metres

4. South Africa has the world's largest deposits of gold, chromium, platinum and manganese

5. The only street in the world to house two Nobel Peace Prize winners is in Soweto. Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu both have houses in Vilakazi Street, Orlando West

6. South Africa has the world's second oldest air force, established 1920
7. South African Breweries ranks as the second largest brewing company in the world. It supplies up to 50% of China's beer

8. South Africa has the second oldest film industry in the world

9. South African media ranks 26th out of 167 countries in the Worldwide Press Freedom Index, ahead of the United Kingdom, Australia and Japan

10. In 2005, Time Magazine hailed President Thabo Mbeki as the Most Powerful Man in Africa

11. South Africa's population is approximately 46.8 million (2005)

12. South Africa is a middle income, developing country with well-developed financial, communications and legal services and excellent energy and transport infrastructures

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Ag ja!

It always struck me as hypocritical, the American affirmative action movement concern over apartheid to the exclusion of equivalent concern about other Africa-based issues such as Rwanda-Burundi (genocide), Sudan (slavery), etc. Why South Africa? Because y'all are rich!! If you all can pull the change off in a united way, the world must take notice.

On a side note, what I picked up from "Red Dust" (Ejiofor, Swank et al) and to some extent from "In My Country" with Samuel Jackson dealing with the Truth & Reconciliation process was the difference Christian teaching put in practice may have had. Other parts of the world (eg. Yugoslavia, Iraq) have shown what happens, ordinarily, when regime change occurs -- genocide, settling up old scores particularly along tribal / religion and blood lines, picking up wherever things left off before someone came along to force order.

My congratulations!

BNagel

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Jaco - That is great for your country. I wish all of you the best in the coming years. A lot more "healing" will have to take place in order for everything to become equitable for blacks and whites and I don't necessarily mean that it has to be concessions on the part of white South Africans. I have only been to SA once and, like most Americans absolutely fell in love with your country. If finances ever allow, I will be back.

BNagel - Not to hijack the post but you hit the mark on your comments about Iraq. Tribalism in that part of the world always seems to overcome democracy and I think that within one year or less of our withdrawl, you will see another Sadaam Hussein in power there. They are not ready for a fledgling democracy much less a western style democracy.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
Hoor Hoor, Jaco!

I hereby nominate you as the outgoing Tony Leon's Democratic Alliance next leader.
That, together with your unbiased views, will bring our new democracy nicely in balance in the years to come.

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jaco,
I still don't like Jo-burg!
Speaking of which: Is'nt it time that we have a little SADC-AR get together?
Should become a moerse "tjop, dop en kak-praat" thing.
Think about it, maybe we can arrange something.

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still don't like Jo-burg!
Speaking of which: Is'nt it time that we have a little SADC-AR get together?
Should become a moerse "tjop, dop en kak-praat" thing.
Think about it, maybe we can arrange something.

Lets do it in Upington- then all from SA and Namibia can reach it, and there is an international airport there for Ganyana and the Zim boys to fly into. BTW Jaco, while you where bragging about SA, do you know that Upington has an exceptionally long runway. (One of the longest in the world....) Do you know why?

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1334 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Hi Jagter, Sorry, no chance for me getting involved in politics.

Karl,
Yes I know about the long runway in Upington, I stand to be corrected but it was intended as an emergency landingstrip for the space shuttles or something like that.

I would not mind joining a party in Uppington, great place. I grew up in Kimberley, that was many moons ago. My great love on school was a young lady from Upington. Who will take the responsibility to organise it? What about Kanon Eiland cheers

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Infrastructure

5. South Africa is one of only 12 countries with potable tap water

Jaco,

Is that sentence really supposed to read:

"South Africa is one of only 12 African countries with potable tap water" ????

Cheers! beer
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jaco, with the above point blank refusal of the nomination, you make me recall the old animal story.
On King Lion's question: "What are you doing up there?"
"Oh really nothing, just talking shit to the animals to pass the time," Baboon replied.

I sincerely hope that's not what you were doing in your appraisal of RSA above! Wink

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets meet at Ronny's Sex Shop in the little Karoo. Die tuiste van die brandewyn is naby!
Great place to have a jol! Lots of roads to land on.
Option 2. We first meet in Zim. and drink up the supplies of Ganyana....and inspect some Buffalos from the inside. Then we drive up to Zambia to do a lille recce on those fast plains between Mongu and Kaoma. After that it's down to Nam. for some Springbok en Streepdonkies en than for the last leg into Ronny's.
We urgently need sponsors. Observers from non-SADC states are welcome to join in an a 1000,-US$ observer fee per day! Wink

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jagter:
quote:

Jaco, with the above point blank refusal of the nomination, you make me recall the old animal story.
On King Lion's question: "What are you doing up there?"
"Oh really nothing, just talking shit to the animals to pass the time," Baboon replied.

I sincerely hope that's not what you were doing in your appraisal of RSA above! Wink

Jagter you must tell the whole joke. dancing

Lets leave the politics to the guys who knows how to sleep in the parliaments benches. Polititians are like a bunch of bananas, they all hang together, they are all yellow and there is not a straight one amongst them, Roger Whitaker. I will much rather hunt and have peace in my life.

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Karl,
Yes I know about the long runway in Upington, I stand to be corrected but it was intended as an emergency landingstrip for the space shuttles or something like that.

I'm impressed, not a lot of people know it!

kamaatu, you obviously hav'nt been to Upington lately. I think its something in the water, the ladies there have the best titties in SA!

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

Posts: 1334 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl,
next time you are in the Karoo, have a go at Ronnie's. Its nothing but a bar. But a bluddy good one. The pooitjie (SOWETO Microwave) is going all the time and all you do is eat, drink and talk shit.
Last time I was in Upington was on a hard-core boere-sokkie. No good memories on those gals! Almost had to get married that night! sofa

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
kamaatu, where in the Karoo?

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere near Barrydale beer

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
South Africa has a lot going for it. I hope it will continue to move up in the world ranking and not slide back.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jaco...

We may have some issues to deal with (as do many) but man we really do a have lot going for us...with travel and working/studying abroad...SA is still the only place I call home and want to call home (well I would consider Namibia, Zim without Bob or Zambia - the vic falls area is my personal paradise!).

The more time I have spent in other countries (most very nice and always having a an enjoyable time) the more I realise we have a gem that we call home and we really must look after it socially and environmentally.

I love it!!!

Cheers

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is some downside of course, as there always is.

South African Crime Statistics: http://www.capegateway.gov.za/eng/pubs/public_info/C/86878/1

South Africa called world crime capital:

http://www.iss.co.za/Pubs/CRIMEINDEX/01VOL5NO1/World.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_South_Africa

From the U.S. State Dept:

quote:

CRIME: Although the vast majority of visitors complete their travels in South Africa without incident, visitors should be aware that criminal activity, sometimes violent, occurs routinely. Notwithstanding government anti-crime efforts, violent crimes such as armed robbery , carjacking, mugging , "smash and grab" attacks on vehicles, and other incidents are regularly reported by visitors and resident Americans.

Crimes against property, such as carjacking, have often been accompanied by violent acts, including murder, when victims resist or are slow to respond to attackers’ demands. South Africa also has the highest incidence of reported rape in the world. Foreigners are not specifically targeted, but several have been the victims of rape. Victims of violent crime, especially rape, are strongly encouraged to seek immediate medical attention, including antiretroviral therapy against HIV/AIDS. Questions about how to receive such treatment should be directed to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Criminal activity, such as assault, armed robbery, and theft is particularly high in areas surrounding many hotels and public transportation centers, especially in major cities. Theft of passports and other valuables is most likely to occur at airports, bus terminals, and train stations. A number of Americans have been mugged or violently attacked on commuter and metro trains, especially between Johannesburg and Pretoria. Several American travelers also reported theft of personal belongings after strangers whom they invited into their hotel drugged them. In at least one instance, the American died after being drugged and robbed in this manner.

There is a serious baggage pilferage problem at Johannesburg and Cape Town International airports, particularly travelers changing airlines and those flying on smaller airlines—passengers flying on major international carriers may not be affected to the same degree. Travelers are encouraged to secure their luggage with Transportation Security Administration (TSA) approved locks, use an airport plastic wrapping service, and avoid placing electronics, jewelry, cameras or other valuables in checked luggage. Make an inventory of items in checked baggage to aid in claims processing if theft does occur.

In the Western Cape, police resources have been strained by continuing gang conflicts and vigilante violence in the Cape Flats area of Cape Town. Travelers may wish to contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate before embarking on trips to these particular areas.

Armed robbery of cash-in-transit vehicles and personnel occur throughout South Africa and peak during December and January due to the increase in cash flow from commercial stores to banks. These attacks have also included incidents at major malls and in large grocery stores. Individuals should raise their level of situational awareness while in the vicinity of cash-in-transit vehicles and personnel and avoid areas where they are located to the maximum extent possible.

Credit card fraud, counterfeit U.S. currency, and various check-cashing scams are frequently reported. Do not accept "assistance" from anyone, or agree to assist others with ATM transactions. Travelers should try to avoid using ATMs after bank business hours or in remote locations. When giving your credit card to a store or restaurant employee for processing, do not let them take the card out of your sight. Visitors should also beware of telephone or email schemes, which attempt to win the confidence of an unsuspecting American who is persuaded either to provide privileged financial information or travel to South Africa to assist in a supposedly lucrative business venture.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks...we were never ever aware of that Roll Eyes

No dig to them, but US state dept. travel warnings are always on the extreme, in fact overly extreme side, don't you think?
They seem useful, and yes, what they say is true, but they definately seem right into the business of fearmongering, IMO.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
they definately seem right into the business of fearmongering,

Well said kayaker! Perhaps it's an off-shoot of the American media always on the lookout for the next sensational story.
thumbdown

Best of luck in organizing the get together and PLEASE post some photos so we can enjoy it with you.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ever notice, if you praise something here old 500 grains will be along to try and inject something negative into the conversation...?

RSA seems to have the same teething issues the rest of the world does...but be happy dan doesn't live there. You NEED one more asinine lawyer...? We will donate dan to you.

Regards,

Rich
DRSS

I am espousing the theory that dan aka 500 grains has Alzheimer's Disease. The symptoms are eerily similar.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ever notice, if you praise something here old 500 grains will be along to try and inject something negative into the conversation...?

RSA seems to have the same teething issues the rest of the world does...but be happy dan doesn't live there. You NEED one more asinine lawyer...? We will donate dan to you.

jumping

Idaho....thanks. Yes, I am very aware of negetivity and concerned about it, as I try to be as ambassadorial about SA as I can - an alos realistic. (despite that some seem to think we were born under cabbages and are totally unaware of the problems we need to deal with in our own homes).

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh, more attempted censorship by sycophants. And I made the mistake of thinking that this is a forum where both sides of an issue can be discussed. Roll Eyes

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kayaker:
Thanks...we were never ever aware of that Roll Eyes

No dig to them, but US state dept. travel warnings are always on the extreme, in fact overly extreme side, don't you think?
They seem useful, and yes, what they say is true, but they definately seem right into the business of fearmongering, IMO.

Any city has their problems. I guarentee that anyone goes to the wrong end of Vancouver and your pleasure trip will become a nightmare.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Dan, I am well aware of the crime stats for RSA, I was also a victim in the past. The whole world knows about it, because only the negative side is always reported. Journalism is mostly negative, most of the time only reporting the bad and very seldom the good.

We have more good than bad in our country and very few people know about it.

A lot of the crime in RSA are commited by citizens of neighbouring countries like Mozambique and Zimbabwe, you can add Nigeria. All of them see RSA as a place where they can come out of poverty, which end up in a criminal life to try and survive.

Dan, go check the stats on the amount of illigal imigrants that we have to deport yearly.
The problem is that by the time the officers that accompanied them are back in Pretoria, the illigal immigrants are back over the border.

The goverment also realised that they must take a stronger stance against crime. A lot of joint operations between the police and bussines SA are paying of. A lot of break throughs were made in the last couple of months. We are busy winning

Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

One of Us
Picture of infinito
posted Hide Post
JAco, thank you for the posting and well spoken.

One of the State Departments first sentences was : " Although the vast majority of visitors complete their travels in South Africa without incident..."

In 2004 I visited the CLA game fair in the UK. Before the show we went to a pub in London. I left a bag on the front seat of the car. We had one beer, and left.....Car window knocked out, bag gone...Police did not even visit the scene when we reported it. The girl over the phone just gave me a "crime number" for insurance purposes. When I asked her about this, she said that it happened so often that they do not even bother to investigate "petty crime" !! I was 6 hours on the ground!

I am a proud South African, and always will be...the problems we face (like we did since our ancestors first arrived 400 years ago) will always be there, and we will handle it, BECAUSE

AFRIKA IS NIE 'N PLEK VIR SISSIES NIE!
(Africa is not a place for cry babies)

Charl van Rooyen
Owner
Infinito Travel Group
www.infinito-safaris.com
charl@infinito-safaris.com
Cell: +27 78 444 7661
Tel: +27 13 262 4077
Fax:+27 13 262 3845
Hereford Street 28A
Groblersdal
Limpopo
R.S.A.

"For the Infinite adventure"

Plains Game
Dangerous Game
Bucket List Specialists
Wing-Shooting
In House Taxidermy Studio
In House Dip and Pack Facility
In House Shipping Service
Non-Hunting Tours and Safaris
Flight bookings

"I promise every hunter visiting us our personal attention from the moment we meet you, until your trophies hang on your wall. Our all inclusive service chain means you work with one person (me) taking responsibility during the whole process. Affordable and reputable Hunting Safaris is our game! With a our all inclusive door to door service, who else do you want to have fun with?"

South Africa
Tanzania
Uganda

Posts: 2016 | Location: South Africa,Tanzania & Uganda | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should import Dan to SA to see just how bad it really is, or is it? One thing though, we must ensure to get a "tuffpack" sufficiently big enough to make sure he is not damaged in transit... Big Grin

Party in Upington ..... count me in ! dancing

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jaco, Thanks. That's interesting.

However, maybe you missed one;

South African's are warm and inviting people that treat their guests like family.

I've been to South Africa 5 times, and on each trip found the safari operators and business owners in South Africa to be helpful and respectful to a fault.

Every country has issues, but I'd feel much safer and welcomed in South Africa than I would in Detriot.

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
There are some fine looking women in South Africa. Big Grin

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote