Notify
Tools

Dr. Livingstone, I presume
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Diplomatic tussle over Scot's statue

ANGUS HOWARTH

A VANDALISED statue of David Livingstone is creating diplomatic tension between two African countries.

The figure marks the occasion in 1855 when the Scots missionary and explorer first set eyes on the then un-named Victoria Falls.

Livingstone, from Blantyre, Lanarkshire, named the falls after Queen Victoria when he revisited the site in 1860. The landmark forms part of the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia.

For decades, the bronze figure has stood looking out over the waterfall from the Zimbabwean side. But now, Zambian officials have asked for it to be moved to the actual spot where Livingstone first spotted the falls - on their side of the border.

They want the figure re-sited to coincide with the 150th anniversary next year of the moment when Livingstone first encountered the falls. Zimbabwe has snubbed the request and is insisting the statue remains in its original location.

The statue was vandalised two years ago by supporters of Zimbabwe�s president, Robert Mugabe, who claimed it was a symbol of colonialism.

Zambia�s tourism minister, Patrick Kalifungwa, in a move coinciding with the 100th anniversary of the naming of the Zambian town of Livingstone, opened up negotiations for the statue to be taken to Zambia.

A formal request to move the statue was made to Zimbabwe by Donald Chikunbi, the director of the Zambian National Heritage Conservation Commission, during a visit to the country. However, he was told Zimbabwe was not willing to part with it.

Mr Chikunbi said: "The people of Zambia feel the statue should be in its proper place - where Livingstone first saw the falls. But officials from the Zimbabwean government have refused to comply with our request to have it moved.

"It is disappointing, as the statue would have formed the centrepiece of our anniversary celebrations to mark Livingstone�s life next year.

No-one from the Zimbabwean embassy in London would comment on the issue.

Livingstone, who spent 30 years in Africa, first sighted the falls, then known as Mosi-oa Tunya ("The smoke that thunders") by the Leya people, in November 1855. He travelled nearly a third of the continent, from its southern tip almost to the equator.

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a picture of the statue of Dr Livingston at the Victoria Falls Park in Zimbabwe that I took in June

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=209731&c=500&z=1"][/url]

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Great picture as usual, 1115!

I was there when the picture was taken. I could seen no evidence of vandalism, so it must have been repaired.

What amazed me was that the three guys in our group (with guide), two Chinese women (with guide) and two security guards were the only folks we saw there in the hour or so we were at the falls. Tourism in Vic Falls just ain't happening, at least on the Zimbabwe side.

Curious about the local feelings about Livingstone, I asked the police officer about the statute commerating the "discovery" of the falls, when locals had know about it from antiquity. The fellow smiled and said that Livingstone was somewhat of a hero to most, since he was strongly "anti-slavery" and didn't attempt to despoil (my word) the land. The police officer was a Christian, as was Livingstone, so that may have colored (or "un-colored" actually) his perception of the man and his "contributions".

I'm presently reading INTO AFRICA, THE EPIC ADVENTURES OF STANLEY & LIVINGSTONE by Martin Dugard. While I've read several books on "finding the source of the Nile", etc., this one, just published, will be interesting, I'm sure... and I'm wondering what, if any, politically correct spin it will have.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I read a book about 15 years ago on Stanley and Livingstone's explorations. If you want a "politically correct" slant, these explorations, especially Stanley's were quite brutal on the porters with large numbers of deaths from sickness, hunger, thirst etc. The white explorer who often was sick, blind, near death as well was carried in a litter but the ordinary porters died along the way.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
JudgeG and other great minds of Africa

Here is a [ short article ] on Livingstone that covers his background and historical escapades

Dr Livingstone - Man of Africa

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Judge, I have a book-on-tape called "Dark Safari, The Man Behind the Legend of H.M. Stanley".

I have looked for a copy of the books by Stanley, "How I Found Livingstone", and by Livingstone (I assume he wrote one), to no avail.

Do you know anywhere they might be available?

Thanks,
Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote