New
Find
Notify
Tools

You did what?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This happened over twenty years ago so I reckon that it is about time I told the tale ... Of course, I won't mention any names as the PH is still in business, I think.

Back in the early 90's I was on my fifth safari so had a bit of experience to go by. My guide, a very nice young man of 24, did many things on this safari that I thought were absolutely top notch. A couple of times, however, I questioned his judgement but being that I was paying big money (for me) .. and he was the guide - I followed his advice.

The outfitter, two years earlier, had offered me an elephant bull on quota and I had taken him up on the deal ... it was eventually to cost me four months take home salary just for the trophy fee - certainly well worth it as I look back ...

The PH was adamant about a couple of different things on this safari ... one was that my wife was not allowed to go along while tracking an elephant or sitting in a lion blind .. another was that the ele had to be shot behind the shoulder .. 'shoot it in the lungs and it runs away for a distance and then topples over ... brain shot being a no/no as it is too difficult ..'

O.K. I reckon that he was just starting out ...

Some days later we were tracking two bulls just after first light ... Eventually we got up to the first bull that walked out of a stand of cover ... I muttered that it was a small one ... And then the second bull showed up .. broadside .. maybe 40-50 yards away .. the PH said, ' Shoot that bull, Richard!'

I was standing there looking at the big bull .. 416 Left handed Sako in my hands .. arms length down ... one of us stepped on a branch ...

The bull turned and walked at me ... most impressive sight ...

Years before Mike Bunce, a PH in the Chete, told me that nothing commands your attention like a bull elephant in full charge ...

The bull wasn't charging but striding right up to me .. I forgot about my lovely wife languishing at the Toyota somewhere off in the distance out of sight ... forgot that I was a Canadian ... that winter sucks in Canada ... I saw only the bull elephant ... only the elephant !

I lifted my Sako, put the Leupold dot between its eyes, remembered what Capstick said about the angle changing on a towering head shot, adjusted, and brained the bull ... maybe 30 yards ..

Running up to the ele I was instructed by the guide to put a 400 grain solid through the top of its head .. and a second one through the back .. down through the shoulders .. and so I did ..

And owed $10,000 Canadian dollars ..

Bravo !!! It was only money.

The 6 foot four inch guide then looked down at me and said, ' When I saw that the lung shot was gone as the elephant turned towards you, I ran away.'

Posts: 1543 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed that ! Thanks Scruffy.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Wow

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
Wow

+1 shocker But good on you Scruf!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of PH's have a rather dry sense of humour. I doubt he cut and run. Great story though.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I loved that story. I will save it for the 'likkle ones'... Wink

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sherrill Philip Neese
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

DSC, DU, MBS, NRA, QDMA, RGS, RMEF, SCI

"Sherrill. Why do you belong to so many organizations?"
"Well... I have this thing for banquets."

Posts: 115 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
A lot of PH's have a rather dry sense of humour. I doubt he cut and run. Great story though.

Perhaps. I have seen one run before.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

Perhaps. I have seen one run before.

Perhaps I saw one refuse to follow a Cape Buff we shot at dusk. Don't worry it was stone dead 30 yards away. Ask me how I know?

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience, I've had PH's chase buffalos to dead dark, stand a bluff charge side by side to halitosis distances, follow hairy stuff with horns, teeth and claws into stuff that would scare your mother in law. However, I've never seen a PH cut and run, thankfully.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote