Notify
Tools

Africa and China
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
For those interested in this kind of stuff, go to this link

http://www.iss.co.za/Publications/Asrindex.html

Under the year 2004, Volume 13, No 1 2004 [CLICK on either the HTML or the PDF version] and read the article titled Africa and China’s Strategic Partnership

It will scare the hell out of you.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
Actually, it isn't so scarry. I suppose it is because my wife, newly naturalized in the US, keeps me well informed about her homeland -- mainland China.

One thing that should be a major point of relief is that China's mission and economic role is very different now than it was prior to the mid 1980s. Its apparent ability to straddle two worlds must be taken with some lime -- or something to cut the rancidity of their internal problems -- they cannot take care of their own poor/middle-class divide that ostensibly gives them the straddle they need to keep their feet in two worlds.

For the most part, China is becoming an economic powerhouse -- and needs to keep its boilers well stoked. They are seeking whatever relationships they can to get more energy -- whether with Russia and their new pipeline, or with Africa (multiple nations -- whoever has oil). In exchange, they offer human labor cheap -- even technical human labor. This is something they have in abundance.

At the same time, MOST of the population of China is not participating in the new economy. Only the urban folks get a chance. The vast majority of Chinese, living in the countryside, in villages whose technology has not significantly changed in hundreds of years, are still taxed mercilessly (often with corruption behind it), and still have incomes measured in the singles or tens of dollars per year range. There is a great deal of concern about "addressing" this problem -- those who go to the cities to find work in all the new construction and factories can expect to be cheated -- and since they are illegals (very much like illegal immigrants in the US), they have little recourse to sue to get their pay (though there are social aid organizations trying to help their country-side bretheren). This isn't news -- its been a constant problem since Deng Xiaoping -- but recently the divide between the (relatively) tiny urban middle class and the vast majority of wretchedly poor people has become most visible.

Suffice to say they are looking to history and the sense that all of the dynastic falls have come from the dissatisfied countryside -- including Mao Tsetung's.

Read against that backdrop -- these reports look relatively benign.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait and see how many elephants are going to be left after the Chinese get their hands on the hunting in Zim. They will hammer the hell out of them.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Belarus>
posted
Having worked a few jobs in China I would have to concur with DanEP. The disparity between urban (read Beijing, Shanghai, etc) and up and coming urban/industrial areas is mind blowing. As to LV Eric's concerns I think we are still safe there for a while. At least until the Chinese develop a more bourgeois outlook on life. It is amazing what many Chinese willingly tolerate because the wise leader deems it necessary, including some fairly well educated people. One caveat, once they get their ducks in a row and quacking, watch out!

one of us
posted Hide Post
No Surprise,China was a major player.suppling
arms and advisors to the insurgents,During the
war.Now their back, for the big payoff

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
One more thing that came from a discussion with my wife: China had become very disillusioned with the willingness of the leadership of African countries to look for money -- whether it was western or Chinese rmb yuan... but did not reciprocate with loyalty. Now, China is presenting a package that looks much like the old colonial powers: bring culture and education -- and obligations -- in exchange for oil. I suspect Robert M and his crew think they can play China for support without having to pay the piper...

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
Korea
Employment (one thing they're telling the folks at home)
Sabre rattling at Taiwan

They share a border with Afghanistan, and have lots problems with Muslim activists in their western provinces. They have had border disputes with India in the past. They are interested in keeping good relations with Pakistan (who has shown respect for the US because of their humanitarian aid??? I don't think so). They want to play with the big(ger) boys in the UN -- the ones with the guns -- the superpowers, rather than being a semi-super-power=semi-third-world nation. They want to move to the role of patron/patrician and out of the role of client under the protection of their patrons.

It used to be that they had a huge army -- but could only use it where the army could walk to. What has raised my interest has been their buildup of their NAVY!!! and their AIR FORCE!!!!!

Dan