New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari, Wine, horses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having never been to Africa, I'm still in the bunch that thinks it'll be a one-time deal, a trip of a lifetime.

Accept that that is true, even though I've heard others laugh at it.

As such a trip, my wife an I would like to get as much in as possible. The primary things we'd like to do would include hunting plains game, drinking wine, and riding horses over distances.

Now I've seen vacations that cater to each of these things. Obviously, I'd come here to research the hunting end of things, but what of the others? Does anyone have any info on the various Equestrian/Winery tours out there?

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deertick

I don't know anything about the Equestrian part of the question, but I do have a contact there who might be helpful if you do not get anything here.

Wine? I've spent some time studying the wines there from the consumer perspective. There are hundreds of vineyards [Wine Farms or Wine Estates] in South Africa. Most are located just outside Cape Town in the Stellenbosh, Paarl, and Franschoek. There are a few in other areas as well but these areas represent the majority. If you stay in Cape Town there are several day long tours to the wine country that will involve maybe 5 or 6 different stops with samples at each, usually with a lunch stop somewhere as well. If you do not want to stay in Cape Town, there are numerous B&B's and Inns in Paarl, Stellenbosch and Franschoek. A two or three day stay would not be too long, amd more if you want to spend some time in Cape Town too. [ always recommend the Commodore Hotel or it's sister hotel, The Portswood - both areLegacy Resorts Hotels]

Please PM if more details are needed!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How odd you should ask!

I just got back in October from just an adventure, but passed on the helicopter tour of Cape Town and the horse back riding, but I was pressure to "enjoy" each.

My wife accompanied me on a 21 hunt in RSA. We landed and the PH, Johan Wolvarrdt, met us at Jo'berg airport and within 30 minutes we were on a flight to Cape Town. We stayed in the wine country, visited vineyards and wineries. Next we met up with Len and Christine Klopper who were our gracious host and hostess. Len tried his darnest to get me in his helicopter for tour of Cape Town, however my wife fails to see enjoyment in machines that beat the air into submission to gain lift, so we took a pass.
Six days later up to the Limpopo for hunting, then to Zimbabwe so my wife could see Victoria Falls and I could hunt some more, back to RSA for a tour of Kruger, then to Kwazulu Natal for more hunting, then home.

My wife and I who have traveled alot of the world said it was the best holiday of her life. Give these guys a call and I think they can set you up. Good luck.

http://www.sandriver.co.za/

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
rest assured... it won't be your only trip

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the Limpopo Valley Horse Safaris in the Tuli area of Botswana. I have spent over 40 days there over the last five years. The riding is fast paced and challenging. They have lots of very testy elephants and I have personally been chased by them several times while on horseback. It is a real rush. I have also run into lions, had fantastic gallops with zebra, blue wildebeest and giraffe. You will go out into the real African bush camping out at a different spot each night. The camps are rustic, but comfortable with excellent food. You will not regret it. It was orginally started by Steven Rufus, but is now owned by Cor and Louise Carelson. I will be there May 4th through the 18th.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Go now.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
PM SENT

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
If you were interested in South Africa a fun place to hunt from horseback is Bokpoort.

I would recommend contacting Drom Helgard Beukes (whose father-in-law owns the place) at:

hunting@somerbysafaries.co.za
www.somerbysafaris.com

Its a fun and relaxing place to stay and has very good hunting for plains game.

This is what the area looks like (a fire had just moved through):

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I have to look for find the depliant, but I remember that there was an outfitter in Waterberg area in SA who did for sure hunting on horses.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well I do not like too much the "hunting on horses definition", but I'm not English mother tongue.

Ok hunting using horses instead off road cars. This is better

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I think the name you are looking for is Ant Africa Safaris ??? They are located not far from Vaalwater.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. Lots of good ideas.

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frederik,
it can be, I met the owner and his wife some years ago. He was big man, big as a very big professional rugby player can be, she was the contrary. I think that I know where I archived the brochure.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil