New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horn Care
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm hoping to get some information about horn care for the European mounts I'm having done. I choose to have the taxidermy done in SA. I have seen a lot of reports of taxidermists over boiling the heads and causing horn damage, teeth falling out when shipped, and the horns looking like they are painted black when they are done.

I have relayed my concerns to the taxidermist and they said they would take note of them. They told me that the finish they put on the horns is what causes them to look so dark. I prefer the natural look. They said they can skip the step that makes them look dark. However they warned me the horns could start to have some damage over time.

These trophies are from my first trip to SA and I'd really like them to turn out well and hold up over time. Does anyone have any info or advice on the process with the taxidermist? Does anyone have any information on the horn sealing that turns them darker?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike

Posts: 52 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 17 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have them leave them "natural" and when you get them back over here, you can look at them and see what you like, then have a good taxidermist recommend the proper treatment.

Right here on AR, there are probably a dozen different recipes for keeping your horns looking good.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I spray a quality clear matt varnish over then. Simply tape up the skull to avoid over spray. Your local car body shop can do this for you if you do not have a spray gun.

Keep them clean and shiny by buffing with a household cleansing polish.

Very occasionally turn the horns upside down and spray an insecticide into the horn.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame,

The insecticide advice is a good idea. I started noticing these little beatles in my office some time ago and finally traced them to a buffalo skull mount. No worries at present, but it took more than one treatment.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lavaca:
Depending on how long ago that head was killed. AND how it was cleaned, very well might be larve left over from beetle cleaning that wasn't cleaned out or killed once it was done.

Couple yrs ago I bought a small amount of those bugs from a guy in AK and in the instructions was details on how to make sure to get 'em all out of the head cavities. They did a fine job a a muntjac head I got 'em to clean up. Then I got sick last yr and no one took care of feeding and watering the bugs so they've all died. Don't have any need for 'em now but ,still.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently received a number of Euro mounts from an African hunt several years ago, and was somewhat disappointed to see that all the horns had gotten that shiny black-painted appearance. I was told that this was a result of oil soaking into them during the initial boiling process. Can anything be done to restore the natural appearance?

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote