Find
Notify
Tools

375H&H Noslers on Cape buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted
Looking for performance information from anyone who has used 300gr Nosler Partions on cape buffalo.

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I feel Noslers Partitions are too soft in .375 for buff, and would recommend Swift A-Frames.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
I you plan on using softs , rather use Trophy Bonded , Swifts or A-Square .

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The only Buffalo I've shot was taken with a 375 with 270gr Nosler Partitions. The shot was at approx 50 yds and was a broadrside shoulder shot. At the shot the Buff reared up on hind legs kept going over backward and was dead when it hit the ground. No death bellow no running no nothing just dead. Total anti-climax to the whole hunt. I have had no interest in hunting buffalo since. The bullet was recovered under the skin on the off side. The bullet had peeled back perfectly and most of the front core was there mushroomed and seperate from rest of the bullet. The bullet plus core weighed 207grs. It's amazing the front core traveled the entire wound channel in front of the rear part. The heart was literally pulverized. Lucky shot I suppose but I hit where I aimed and it was the right spot and the bullet did what it was supposed to do so what else could you ask.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
Good story, thanks for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
The thing is,...There are better bullets for Buffalo, so why use Partitions? The Swift is the minimum bullet for the .375 H&H to be used on Bufalo. Simply roflmao IMHO.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Worldhunter,

This is what I did and made my decisions as to which bullet to use...I bought Swifts, Barnes X, Hornady, North Forks and I had all bullets cut open lengthwise..You can look inside and see how they will work...and I chose a BarnesX and it worked super..shoulder to shoulder...Those North Fork cup bullets will really do a superb job...you will get full penetration..IMOP...
I shot a 458 Lott...and did ele and buf and got both... beer

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
This is the deal. My 375 doesn't like Barnes, I don't reload, and leopard will also be hunted.My gun shoots Fed Prem less then .5" Swifts shoot 2" - and yes I could find reloads that might give good groups but may be not.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Worldhunter,

There is nothing wrong with the 2 or 4 inch groups at 100yds...Yu will be hunting buff closer...shot mine at 40yds...Ask you Ph what he would like you to shoot bullet wise...
What is the group size with Barnes??

you cam email me

retreever@adelphia.net

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
Retreever
About 4" for the Barnes
The P/H doesn't want Barnes on leopard he feels Noslers are better, and resighting with a different bullet may be difficult in the middle of a hunt, because we will hunt buffalo durring the day and leopard in the evening.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
WH, the only one shot kills I have on Cape Buffalo, have been with 300 gr Nosler Partitions out of a 375 H&H! All the rest have taken at least three shots, regardless of bullet type or wt or caliber, unless the spine or Brain was hit on the first shot! I have never had a buffalo run more than 30 yds with a 300 gr NP in him from a 375 H&H.

Brad, Will, and 308SAKO, your condimnation of the NP for buffalo seems very assured! I would like to ask each of you if you have ever used a 375 H&H 300 gr Nosler Partition on a Buffalo, or even seen anyone else use a .375, 300 gr NP on a cape buffalo? bewildered

I have used solids, both origenal steel jacketed solids, and mono-metel solids, A-frames, in a lot of calibers on buffalo, and I see no better performance than with the NP on cape Buffalo from a 375 H&H. Confused Today, however I'd use North Fork cup point solids exclusively on buffalo, in just about any caliber where they are available, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the good old NP, if a control expansion soft point is needed. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Mac,

The guy asked for opinions and I gave mine. I've had poor penetration with Partitions, mainly because the front end blows off, which is what they are suppose to do.

Antecdotes do not a rule make. Use whatever the hell you want. Big Grin

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Mac,

The guy asked for opinions and I gave mine. I've had poor penetration with Partitions, mainly because the front end blows off, which is what they are suppose to do.

Antecdotes do not a rule make. Use whatever the hell you want. Big Grin

That's all the reason you need, I just wanted to know if you had used them on Buffalo! Confused wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only wounded and lost buff I had was shot at with a NP from a .375. Although I have no evidence, I blame it on poor penetration and believe the bullet never "reached" the vitals. I normally never load NP when I am after buff and in this occasion I had spotted Eland and was after them when I jumped a small group of buff. I made the choice to forgo the eland for the buff and "regret" that choice to this day! As a result, I will not use NP on buff again. Especially on frontal shots. shame That is just my choice. There are a good number of PH's that I spoke with about this and the majority tend to agree. They will not refuse to let you shoot a buff with a NP but if you ask them, they will probably recommend you get a BarnesX or A-frame or TB, etc.

Personally, I like to use the TB but will not hesitate to use BarnesX.

WH - Your PH is right in preferring NP over Barnes for Leopard. How does your rifle group with solids? Otherwise, stick with Barnes or try the North Fork.

Happy hunting

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I used a 300 gr. Partition on my second buffalo.

There are better bullets but it worked fine. On my most recent trip the .375 was holding Swift softs and Barnes solids. I wouldn't mind carrying X or TSX bullets either.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only shot 1 buffalo so take the following for what it's worth...300gr Nosler Partition for my 375-caliber. Muzzle velocity of about 2540 fps. Shot was taken from about 45-50 yards with the buffalo facing me at a quartering angle. Point-of-aim was below the out-thrust nose at the crease where the neck joins the body.....and where the bullet hit. At impact. the buff's head went up, his hind-quarters sagged and he dropped hard enough to raise dust. The "bellow" came in about 15 seconds. The recovered bullet weighted approximatley 200gr which I find to be typical of almost every Partition I've ever recovered from everything. I should also note I had solids in the magazine if needed.

Would something else have been better? I don't know.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=8630&c=500&z=1"] [/url]

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
Mac

I am not condemning NP's ,I just feel that the other 3 that I listed have proved to be superior in my experience . I have personally seen 3 failures with NP's on buffalo with my own clients , on frontal and quartering on shots . This along with other collegues who have told of similar problems . The one in particular was a quartering on shot at about 25 yards . The bullet hit the shoulder , deflected and broke , and travelled just under the skin all the was to the rump . It became a very long day .

When you consider the alternatives - pain & suffering of an animal , along with the possible loss of an exceptional trophy , even the trophy fee of a warthog is justification for using the best , and if necessary , most expensive bullet on the market .

I look forward to seeing North Forks in 375 used on buffalo this year .

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the record; the above described buffalo of mine also "dropped" at the shot and started wriggling around as if it had chili up its a$$ which led me to believe I had "anchored" him! 2nd mistake (1st was using a NP): I didn't follow-up with a second shot (a solid TB) and I had at least 3 clear opportunities to do so thumbdown because I "thought" he was "anchored". Spent 10 hrs looking for him till the tracks rejoined a different herd and the blood spoor dried up!

I still remember that day in every detail bawling

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent plus results with Noslers in the 375...I always used the 300 gr. bullet..It stops on the off side skin, just like all the rest of the softs...I have not had the front end blow off, rather the lead blow out and left expanded petals much like a Barnes X....It they blow in half, then your using too much velocity or too light a bullet, but when they do blow the front end off the sure do a lot of internal damage and the base usually makes an exit hole...

Woodleigh, Nosler, Northfork,GS Customs, all work fine on Buffalo...The Northfork is probably the best, but the new 350 gr. Woodleigh is a sure enough killer on buffalo..

I am not a Swift fan, I have shot some buff with the swift and expands into a too smooth ball IMO...

Barnes Xs sure work on Buffalo and I expect great things from the triple Xs, but I will let someone else try them first...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WORLDHUNTER1

I think if I were in your situation I would try the Federal Trophy Bonded loads. I used that load in Tanzania on everything including a big leopard that actually died in the tree. I don't remember you saying you had tried this one. Give it a whirl. It shot very well in the borrowed 375 I used.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote