THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Continuation to the Post on PH opinions on Blaser Rifles

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Continuation to the Post on PH opinions on Blaser Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted
I just saw this link posted on a different forum.Seems ADs are quite frequent with Remington rifles.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/3938323..._R..._20th_at_9PM_ET

I am not an expert by any means.Would this change how you look at Remington rifles?I read Shakari and others' inputs on the topic of AD issue with Blaser rifles.Is there a AD-Proof rifle?Thank you for your inputs.

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 810 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobinOLocksley:
I just saw this link posted on a different forum.Seems ADs are quite frequent with Remington rifles.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/3938323..._R..._20th_at_9PM_ET

I am not an expert by any means.Would this change how you look at Remington rifles?I read Shakari and others' inputs on the topic of AD issue with Blaser rifles.Is there a AD-Proof rifle?Thank you for your inputs.

Best-
Locksley,R.

Anything which is made of moving parts will sooner or later (some sooner, others much later) encounter a problem of sorts - the less parts it has the lower the chances are of a breakdown and as such an AD-Proof rifle in these modern high-tech times is hard to come by.

To put your mind at rest, instances of jammed actions, ADs, etc. are few and far between and most always attributable to "pilot error" which is one way of exonerating the manufacturer from any fault Wink

Nothing bad about a Remington 700 - have one in 300 Win for 10+ years - shoots like a dream and costs a fraction of what you would spend on other makes and, 'never has so much been owed by so many clients' to this standby rifle whose reliability combined with consistent accuracy enabled the shooter to achieve their goal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their is a world of difference between an Accidental discharge and a negligent discharge.

Having worked with forensic ballistics fr over 20 years I have only ever seen 7 firearms where the AD was not operator error and therefor technically an ND.

There have been a few which sounded like genuine AD's but we were unable to dplicate it in the lab.

I have many complaints about rem 700's particularly in .416 rem - seen three broken extractors now for starters and two bolt handels that have fallen off, but never a safety catch issue

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have over 10 remington 700 rifles chambered from 17 rem to 375 H&H mag. I had a 7mm mag once that would fire when you flicked the safety off. The first time this happened I was deer hunting,, had the rifle ready to shoot a deer,flipped the safety off,,,BOOM! real damn surprise to both me and the deer. It stood there looking at where the shot came from,, when I chambered another round, boom again, I unloaded the reamaining shells. Both times I did have it pointed in a safe direction.I took it to a gunsmith,, he said he fixed it,, took it to the range,, first time another discharge when safety flipped. I took it back to the gunsmith,, he said nothing was wrong with it,, I asked him for a trade in credit on a new one if it was in good shape and he did. I would of never used it again anyway,,, none of the othere i own have had this problem. Just like anything out there,, you can get a lemon in anything...

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The only AD I have ever had was in a Remington 722 .257 Rbts.

Every once in a while...when you closed the bolt it would AD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37879 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
Their is a world of difference between an Accidental discharge and a negligent discharge.

Having worked with forensic ballistics fr over 20 years I have only ever seen 7 firearms where the AD was not operator error and therefor technically an ND.

There have been a few which sounded like genuine AD's but we were unable to dplicate it in the lab.

I have many complaints about rem 700's particularly in .416 rem - seen three broken extractors now for starters and two bolt handels that have fallen off, but never a safety catch issue

I thought it was the other way around?

Negligence is legally worse than accidental. An accidental discharge is when a gun goes off when you don't intend it to- from the shot breaking before you are ready to the negligent firing of "I didn't know it was loaded", so is actually a larger catch all, while negligent implies that you neglected to do something you should have- its an AD when your weatherby goes off as you remove the safety. Its negligence when your weatherby goes off when you remove the safety and you shoot your PH in the back. At least that is whet I was told in what little forensic experience I have.

Posts: 11025 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if blaming remingtons is mitigating the particularities of the the R93 and the R 8.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote