Find
Notify
Tools

Felix Marnewecke Deceased
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted
Felix Marnewecke from Namibia, who I hunted with in the Cameroon savanna, has passed away due to contracting Typhoid Fever in the Cameroon forest. Felix recently worked for Mayo Oldiri.
Felix was a great guy and PH. It was a pleasure being in camp and afield with him.
He was professional with an easy going way about him.
Tough to lose a good guy so suddenly.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Well that is a bummer.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1576 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met him a few times but didn't really know him. I know he was well respected and a good guy.

RIP Felix!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
RIP I communicated with him a couple of times and was well-respected

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9870 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bad deal, RIP bwana.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
Met him at SCI I think few years back
What happened?

Posts: 141 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M.Shy:
Met him at SCI I think few years back
What happened?

quote:
Originally posted by dukxdog:
..... has passed away due to contracting Typhoid Fever in the Cameroon forest. F

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12545 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Felix’s very unfortunate passing should serve as a reminder to all of us to stay up on vaccinations.

I’ve had not only yellow fever but also Hepatitis A-B, Cholera, Typhoid and Tetanus vaccinations. I had to update my typhoid vaccination before going to Cameroon in February. Very glad I did after reading this. If any of our AR members haven’t been staying on top of vaccinations, let this unfortunate event motivate you to get updated.

I never met Felix but know he was highly regarded. May he rest in peace.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s very sad.

Being a PH obviously has its risks, and Cameroon is a whole different ballgame than the usual southern and Eastern Africa sites.

This is a bacterial disease spread by sanitation issues.

It is considered vaccine preventable, but not entirely effective at preventing infection.

It’s also treatable. Less than 1% mortality in the US.

Posts: 10627 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad but also due to a degree of negligence in not getting the TAB vaccination which provides immune protection against Typhoid and Paratyphoid A and B infection.

When I was in boarding school in Kenya we were religiously inoculated at the beginning of the second Trimester; it can produce some mild side effects and soreness for a day or two but well worth the tribulation and the risk of kicking the bucket.

Posts: 1905 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Sad indeed he hosted a lot of Swedes during his time.

He could have been vaccinated we should all know by now that just because you have been given a jab its not 100%.

Some vaccines are recommended or required for entering Cameroon. The CDC and WHO recommend the following vaccinations for Cameroon: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, cholera, yellow fever, rabies, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia and influenza.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Sad indeed he hosted a lot of Swedes during his time.

He could have been vaccinated we should all know by now that just because you have been given a jab its not 100%.

Some vaccines are recommended or required for entering Cameroon. The CDC and WHO recommend the following vaccinations for Cameroon: hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, cholera, yellow fever, rabies, meningitis, polio, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis), chickenpox, shingles, pneumonia and influenza.

Good post, i plan to visit my travel doctor in January for next year trip. I was looking at my yellow card and i have a few that need to be up dated.

Something for others, some of the above list vaccines will need to be ordered in for you and also we fall behind active duty soldiers needing the vaccines to deploy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1576 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I understand he was feeling ill and weak at SCI.

Sounds as he had symptoms for a couple months before he traveled to Cameroon three weeks ago.

When he got diagnosed he was dead in 24 hours.

I know nothing about Typhoid symptoms or incubation period but I was told he crashed fast. I don't know why he waited so long to be tested.

Real shame.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typhoid usual incubation is 5-21 days.

However, it can become a chronic recurring problem. Who can say in his case.

And the medical information clearly states that immunization isn’t 100% effective - just because you are immunized you can’t disregard typhoid.

Symptoms can be simple. Fever, abdominal pain, sometimes some red spots called salmon patches on the skin, and sometimes diarrhea.

I’m going on about it just as a warning to others- if you get antibiotics in a timely fashion it’s quite treatable (less than 1% fatality rate) but it does kill many folks worldwide.

Posts: 10627 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

And the medical information clearly states that immunization isn’t 100% effective - just because you are immunized you can’t disregard typhoid.

Symptoms can be simple. Fever, abdominal pain, sometimes some red spots called salmon patches on the skin, and sometimes diarrhea.

I’m going on about it just as a warning to others- if you get antibiotics in a timely fashion it’s quite treatable (less than 1% fatality rate) but it does kill many folks worldwide.

Charles, I have a question regarding antibiotics. The other two hunters who were with Mayo Oldiri when I was there in February are both surgeons. They both recommended taking Cipro for a few days “just in case” on our way home. So, since I had Cipro with Mr, I followed their advice. But, I’ve had Achilles Tendonitis problems in the past, so am hesitant to use Cipro unless necessary. I also always take a scrip of Doxycycline each time I go to Africa. Question is, which antibiotics are best to take to Africa, other than Cipro, as a broad spectrum treatment for the things one is likely to contract while there?

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of TreeWalker
posted Hide Post
My physician refused to prescribe Cipro for my trip to South Africa's Limpopo region this month. Said the recent literature revealed Cipro is not a good choice. I have Doxy to take and was told to carry Immodium with me. I did get shots last month for hepatitis A and B, typhoid, yellow fever and two for rabies at their recommendation for travel to the Limpopo region.

Posts: 23 | Location: Northwest | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question is, which antibiotics are best to take to Africa, other than Cipro, as a broad spectrum treatment for the things one is likely to contract while there?

The answer to that question is likely to be had from your PH who being the resident in the hunting area would know the remedies or consult the local doctors who have first hand knowledge of prevalent diseases and the required medications.

Oh, and once you have established which medications are recommended , it is also advisable purchasing them locally as they cost a fraction of what you would pay for them back home.

Posts: 1905 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scary business.

Posts: 11973 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cipro has become suspect of late more due to resistance patterns than anything else. It still is generally one of the drugs with the largest coverage of multiple infections. Yes, it is associated with achilles tendon rupture, but no one is really sure of its mechanism for doing so.

Notably, cipro is the first choice for typhoid.

Doxycycline also has a very broad spectrum and works for some African conditions that cipro does not- like malaria prophylaxis and tick fever. It also has a bunch more side effects such as stomach irritation and ulceration and significant phototoxicity.

I usually take the cipro with myself.

Doctors are getting a lot of pressure about "antibiotic stewardship" nowdays. Essentially, we get some degree of discipline if we are prescribing drugs that a committee at that institution (clinic or hospital, and in some states a state medical board) doesn't feel were medically supported. You will find that they are much less inclined to give broad spectrum drugs to use at discretion than we used to be because of this.

I would NOT take the antibiotics "just in case" prophylactically as you were leaving.

As to Fulvio's comment...

The local doctors are often more knowledgeable about local infectious diseases... Malaria is largely a school subject, and almost never seen over here as an example. Typhoid is common in Africa, rare here. They see this stuff daily.

But...

Where they train will make a big difference. They do not have the diagnostic testing and radiology resources like we do have here.

Also, there was a study done not that long ago 30-70 percent of the drugs for sale over there are counterfeit.

On the other hand, you can buy antibiotics over the counter without a prescription in most countries over there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing to do with this fellow's death. A very sad case for sure.

I had a knee replaced Oct 18, 2 weeks later fell & dislocated the kneecap to the side. When it was repaired. The knee got infected very badly. Cipro knocked it in less than a week. A year later tripping over my dog. Fell & broke a part of the implant the joint had to be replaced. Infected again when fixed. Tried some others that didn't work. Cipro did again.

It must be some mighty powerful meds to work so quickly. I have taken it three times for major infections so far. Seems I infect fairly easily. Back in 78 I had a bunch of lymph nodes cut out as they'd swelled up. Re: forearm, under arm, crotch, 32 I believe that Dr said. Would that have anything to do with me getting infections easier than most? I have always had lots of cuts being a wild ass, then weldor for years with cuts and burns common.

Very good post, thank you all. Sure helps to know these things. I have taken doxie a few times too.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

Poor Felix succumbed to Typhus which by all accounts is easily treatable but the two-day car drive to the nearest hospital probably cost him his life and this was recounted by a friend of ours

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9870 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote