THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Average sizes for Eastern Cape animals

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Average sizes for Eastern Cape animals
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Trapdoor,

Sounds about right. Myself and a buddy just returned and these are our measurements.

Kudu - 51" (my buddys) He missed a 54" 2 days earlier.
Blesbok - 17 3/4" (mine)
Blesbok - 18" (my buddys)
Steenbok - 5" (mine)
Springbok - 12" (mine)
Bushbuck - 13" (mine)
Imapala - my buddys and I don't recall what it measured.
Zebra - 1000lb stallion

We hunted in the Eastern Cape.

Have a great trip, come back safe and tell us all about it.

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These seem right on target from my experiences in the Eastern Cape; all in the range of what me and my group took.

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trapdoor,

Sounds like the guy is trying to be very honest.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12896 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those figures are Pretty close except on Gemsbok and Kudu with our Safari companies, I expect my clients to get a 49 inch Kudu or better in the Eastern Cape and it looks like they did on this forum and everyone I sent did for this year....I also expect a 38 to 42 inch Gemsbok, most have been 38,39 this year....

The average Eastern Cape Kudu is probably 42 inches, or so I have been told...

Posts: 41922 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Andries was out with my Buddy trying for his Kudu. That 54" kudu bull is still out there, at "Warrens" place. My buddys shooting sticks slipped just as he squeezed the trigger and he shot over it. We were all very sad for him. Andries estimated the one he shot (before the shot) at 50" and it measured 51". I was amazed at how accurately the PH's can gage the horn length of animals - on the hoof. I was told by Marius that my Blesbok (before I shot) would go between 17" and 18" - it measured 17 3/4". Marius also told me that my steenbok would be real close to 5", if not 5". Being my first time in Africa I had no clue that a 5" steenbok was a really good one but Marius was really excited when he first saw it. It measured exactly 5". He gaged my Bushbuck at 13" at 220 yards. It measured just that, 13". These guys are really something.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is interesting, I posted on another string about size and stated if the head makes SCI it is a good representative head. My Cape Kudu was miss judged by the property owner and was only 39 and 41" but it still made SCI. It would appear of your are looking for a "representative head" you should make SCI.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To my limited knowledge there are 3 different classes of SCI heads. Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the input!! That helps!

According to the PH, a larger Kudu is definately a possibility and possibly even likely... Basically his average size on the Kudu (only species I asked specifically for further elaboration on) seems a bit low in his initial response.

Now I know that the available animals will be good representative trophies across the board!

Thanks again!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote