THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Intrepid Safaris....anybody hunted with them

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intrepid Safaris....anybody hunted with them
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello everybody, I'm a long time lurker on this site and finally registered the other day.

I was just wondering if anybody on this site has ever hunted with Intrepid Safaris. If you have, I was just curious as to how your trip went and if you got any tips for me. Any help would be appreciated, regarding anything I might need to know. This will be my first african safari! Thanks for the the help and good hunting.....

Posts: 42 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site......lurker !!

You will find some great feedback here and some very pertinent information.There are a lot of very experienced guys who know what they are talking about.

You will also find a lot of humour, crap and useless information from a bunch of out of work, pot bellied............hell I better stop....sounds like I'm describing myself!!!

Enjoy it.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have hunted with Phillip DuPlessis twice. It would help if you had specific questions, but I will try to give you an idea as to how my experiences on both hunts were.

My wife and I were treated like visiting royalty on both occasions, and at this point, consider Phillip to be like family. I took the following animals with him and had a great safari both times. The first time, in 2003, we got kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeest, impala, blesbuck, and eland. We hunted Cape buffalo near Kruger National Park, and I took a really nice old bull. On our second safari with Phillip, I took waterbuck, hartebeest, nyala, sable, zebra, and I darted a Cape buffalo on a very rare "green" hunt. Later, we did some big game fishing off the east coast.

On both safaris, Phillip arranged tours of game parks for us to take photos of animals. On the first, we did a three day trip in the southern end of Kruger National Park. On the second, we toured Hluluwe/Imfalozi. If you go to hunt with Phillip, try to include at least a few days in one of the Parks, and take plenty of storage capacity cards with you. You could easily come home with thousands of photos.

If you email me at the following address, I would be happy to send you Word files of three stories I wrote about my two visits with Phillip and his lovely wife Anske. gndnaugle@embarqmail.com

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cactus King....welcome.

I've just returned from my third hunt with Phillip of Intrepid Safaris. I originally was referred to Phillip from a good friend who had completed six hunts with him....I learned quickly why this guy has earned a strong following.
Firstly, the holdings and concessions Phillip holds are top grade in QUALITY and quantity of game. As a PH Phillip is also top notch, and he has also two other PHs that work for him (Harry and Peter) that also are of high caliber.
The accomodations are five star along with the evening social gatherings, food, drink,....everything.
I've taken a 62 in Kudu, 33 in Waterbuck, three SCI book Buffalo, and on and on.
I'm going back to Intrepid for a fourth safari next year.
Bob

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
All NEW MEMBERS commenting here.....any seasoned subscribers familiar with this outfit?

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
All NEW MEMBERS commenting here.....any seasoned subscribers familiar with this outfit?

Things that make you go hmmm...

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Just what I was thinking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I normally don't enter into forum discussions, and for that matter don't register, is that all new members "don't know what their talking about, since they don't have the experiences of the cadre of 'old timers".

Well boys, I may have been in more camps in my 49 years of big game hunting on 4 continents than most, so I thought I'd help out a first time Africa hunter that was looking into the credentials of an outstanding outfitter. If the "seasoned members" are skeptical or don't know of Phillip DuPlessis or Intrepid, thats unfortunate, maybe you haven't yet experienced enough.
Bob

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:

Things that make you go hmmm...
yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didnt realize that until you pointed it out, but hopefully they are just like me and waited to register until they saw something that they had first had experience with??

Muttleysgone and Bobgrow, thanks for the help and information. I actually won this hunt at a recent banquet and am waiting on my packet and information from the organization that held the banquet. It was such a crazy deal that I couldnt pass it up. I just turned 25 on the 30th and have been planning on going to Africa for awhile so when I got the chance the other day I took it. I went to intrepids website and everything looks awesome, I just hope everything goes smooth and there's no "catch's" that I missed before I placed my bid...

Posts: 42 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Healthy suspicion of such co-inky-dinks is warranted. We've had several shills chime in posing as well-intentioned disinterested parties, only to be exposed later as what they were--part of the sales team. You want to take offense, be my guest, but the fact is that folks with one or two posts jumping on a thread where opinions on outfits are concerned raises people's suspicion here, for good reason. So, if you are in fact a shill, FU. If not, welcome to AR.

Big Grin

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
quote:
, if you are in fact a shill, FU. If not, welcome to AR.

hammering

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will reply to Neil and Gari's question. While my screen name is new, I am hardly a "new" member. I used to post under another name; my last post was in 2006 under the name patrkyhntr, but when I replaced my computer I had difficulty in logging in. I stayed away for several years and returned recently, but have not posted much. If anyone wishes to check, I have been on over 50 guided hunting trips and a slew of unguided ones, so I do feel at least slightly qualified to comment on this outfit. I resent the idea though that a "new" poster should not have anything to say. The guy asked for opinions. I even posted my email address so I am not a fly by night poster. If you guys have a negative experience with this outfit or have something substantive to post, post it, but otherwise, stick your suspicions in your ears.

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus King:
quote:

I didnt realize that until you pointed it out, but hopefully they are just like me and waited to register until they saw something that they had first had experience with??

Muttleysgone and Bobgrow, thanks for the help and information. I actually won this hunt at a recent banquet and am waiting on my packet and information from the organization that held the banquet. It was such a crazy deal that I couldnt pass it up. I just turned 25 on the 30th and have been planning on going to Africa for awhile so when I got the chance the other day I took it. I went to intrepids website and everything looks awesome, I just hope everything goes smooth and there's no "catch's" that I missed before I placed my bid...

As I said before, please feel free to email me with specific questions. I will try to answer them as best I can, but congratulations on your purchase of this hunt. I do not believe you will be disappointed in the quality.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It unfortunate when people rank members knoweldge by their post counts... Roll Eyes

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
quote:
It unfortunate when people rank members knoweldge by their post counts...

Sorry kayaker....perhaps you would rather deal with an operator who nobody can recommend??

I'm not saying Intrepid isn't a first class operator, all that was noted was that no seasoned subscriber to this post had so far answered the question.

Not too difficult to understand.....well it shouldn't be too difficult!!!

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I believe that I hunted whitetails with Muttleysgone/Patrkyhntr in Manitoba. If he's the same guy, he's not a bad fellow to share a hunt with.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Neil, I am a far more seasoned subscriber than you are. I used to post as patrkyhntr, and if you will do a search for posts by me in my old name you will find that I posted here for quite some time before you came on board. If you do so, you will find that I registered in January of 2004 under that name. When I changed computers in 2006, I had some problems logging in and asked for help via email to Saeed and got no response so I did not post for some time until I recently reregistered under this name, muttleysgone, a name by which I post on several other message boards.

My whole point is that you jumped in with an opinion that was not necessarily correct and actually contributed nothing to what the original poster was seeking, that being information about Intrepid Safaris. I came to expect this sort of thing when I used to post here in the past, and that was one reason it took me so long to come back to this site. There are those small minded individuals, and I am not putting you personally in that category, who simply enjoy trashing others. You and I may someday come to share a hunt together, and if we do, we may both find that our first impressions of each other were way off base.
I have met a number of folks who post on this site, either at SCI conventions or on hunting trips, and have enjoyed their company.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge G, you are correct. We hunted whitetails at Otter Creek in Manitoba. It was a thoroughly enjoyable hunt. We must do something like that again sometime, perhaps before we are both too old?

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Dang! We had better do it next week, then!

Welcome back and that's one heck of a great old buffalo!

Easy on the other guys, though. There have been some scams where a hunting operation created their own happy customers. thumbdown

Best to you and yours!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Judge G. It just seemes that when a question was asked and I responded that I was being accused of something I don't do. I probably took offense where none was intended. I promise to lighten up in the future. wave

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
You are getting your knickers in a knot ol' boy....I merely observed something that stood out to me.....a post whereby only new members commented......at no time was I being rude or objectionable to yours or anyone else's posts,merely being observant.

Who is to say I never subscribed on AR under another name, with more posts than you originally had. That you don't seem to have considered that, means you too have made an observation on my number of postings....no different to what I did.

Relax ol' boy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks, here's my last comment on this thread and forum....no, I do not or have not worked for Phillip DuPlessis and/or Intrepid Safaris.

I do not recieve any consideration from those parties for my comments on their performance.

As an old hunter, I too can be skeptical of claims made, but not dismissive. That would be stupid.
Good hunting to the good hunters.
Bob

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobgrow:
Folks, here's my last comment on this thread and forum....no, I do not or have not worked for Phillip DuPlessis and/or Intrepid Safaris.

I do not recieve any consideration from those parties for my comments on their performance.

As an old hunter, I too can be skeptical of claims made, but not dismissive. That would be stupid.
Good hunting to the good hunters.
Bob

Don't sweat it too much.....I know of one poster here who gives advice on African hunting....his only claim to fame is he owns a 458 Lott.Never even made it out of his state yet.LOL

Gotta love the internet.....

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Phillip DuPlessis, he was the PH on our very first African safari. Great guy and he runs a very good operation. He really works hard for his client's well being, you will not be disappointed with him.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have a some good correspondence with Phillip Du Plessis from Intrepid Safaris, just clearing up some unintended concerns. If guys have been offended, please understand there was no intention of it...

It is my understanding from what I have been told and read, that Intrepid is a reputable company, with a good list of references.I wish the team at Intrepid all the very best for a successful season, and hope to see them posting regularly on the forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ahmed for the post. Since you are one of us with numerous posts maybe this will hush the naysayers on this operation?

Neil-PH - I guess now that YOU have corresponded with Intrepid and given your personal blessing we can all rest assured it's OK to hunt with them? Roll Eyes

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed Sultan:
I have hunted with Phillip DuPlessis, he was the PH on our very first Africa safari. Great guy and he runs a very good operation. He really works hard for his client's well being, you will not be disappointed with him.
A

now Ahmed knows something about hunting, been reading his posts for a while.

I appricate the experienced posters asking questions. I think some take offence to the questions being asked. They should not if they are asked properly. Big world lots of crooks out there.
Keeps asking questions fellows, You are helping more than hurting.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Larry - whomsoever you or anyone else chooses to hunt with, is ultimately their decision,and their risk. Forums like this only aid in the decision making process and should not be held accoutable should the safari turn out as a dud.

The discussions I have had with the owner of Intrepid puts my mind at rest as to his authenticity and ability, and therefore I do wish him all the best.

If down the line I am proven to be incorrect in my judgement, all I can offer is a cold beer in Dallas/Reno.

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
quote:

The discussions I have had with the owner of Intrepid puts my mind at rest as to his authenticity and ability, and therefore I do wish him all the best.

If you had suspicions, it would have been better to express them instead of impugning the credibility of the others that posted.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
This is my last post on this thread.........dla69, read and understand the full content of this post....educate yourself.

Goodbye, goodnight and may your Gods go with you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This has got to be the weirdest thread I have read in a long time!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote