New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tracker hit by Buffalo in SA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We are currently hunting with Bkaauwkrantz Safaris in the Eastern Cape and yesterday a tracker for another Ph was hit by a cape buffalo while tracking a wounded blesbok. The PH he was hunting with shot the buff off of him and the tracker was taken to hospital, looks like one or both legs broken, badly cut head and possible broken ribs, not life threatening injuries. Will get update on injuries tomorrow. I contacted Frontline Pres giving him details as known at the time and Frontline has asked for incident details, hopefully they will help this gentleman out.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2882 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Good to hear it not life threatening, though seems serious.

Was the buffalo wounded??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68266 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might be wrong but I think the wounded person has to be a member of the hunters association to qualify. I have been contacted in the past to make special contributions for a specific injured party who did not otherwise qualify .

If that is the case, I will make another such contribution.

Posts: 12079 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was the buffalo wounded??

No, Buffalo was not wounded, the tracker was following wounded blesbok and walked around a clump of bush (very thick) and pretty much walked into the Buffalo.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2882 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I might be wrong but I think the wounded person has to be a member of the hunters association to qualify. I have been contacted in the past to make special contributions for a specific injured party who did not otherwise qualify .

If that is the case, I will make another such contribution.

Larry, unless Frontline has changed their policies, only the outfitting company the injured person is working for must belong to one of the organizations in the country where employed.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gentleman was in govt hospital and was told surgery needed to repair broken pelvis and broken leg would be available somewhere between 3 days and 3 weeks, not too good.
“Somehow”, an opening occurred last night and surgery was successfully completed. He is doing as well as could be expected.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaukrantz was my first African hunt way back when, with gunwriter Greg Rodriguez, rest his soul. Beautiful part of the Eastern Cape, with both mountains and plains.

Posts: 20155 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
If he has pelvic fractures that require surgery, then he sustained some real damage and this is quite serious.

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted with Blaukrantz on our first safari in 2013. Do you know who the tracker and PH are?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildmansix:
Hunted with Blaukrantz on our first safari in 2013. Do you know who the tracker and PH are?

I do know the trackers name, it is Ricardo (Kallie, pronounced “cully”), PH was a gentleman that works there when needed, Stephan (don’t know last name), seemed a capable guy.
To shoulderman’s point about pelvic fracture, his surgery went very well, he was in very good spirits yesterday, he says he just had a couple of broken bones! I received a “thumbs up” photo last night, I’ll ask for permission to post it.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildmansix:
Thank you for the information.
Thanks. Another Blkz friend says the tracker was inexperienced. Buffalo complicates things!

Posts: 4880 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We should do something for this guy.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has her, I notified DSC Frontline about 3 hours after the incident and have given them updates along the way. I feel certain they will make a grant as soon as they have received all of the info from the outfitter. Also, if one so desires, they can make a directed donation to Frontline specifying the donation be sent to this individual.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

I know in the past we often put together a raffle or a go fund me that could be given direct to the person injured.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tracker got clobbered by a buffalo just before I went on a safari to Zim years ago. He was in the hospital for four days and told the PH, Mike Bunce, that he had now decided to be a cook.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
Tracker got clobbered by a buffalo just before I went on a safari to Zim years ago. He was in the hospital for four days and told the PH, Mike Bunce, that he had now decided to be a cook.

I suspect that will be the case with this guy, too.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:

I suspect that will be the case with this guy, too.

He would probably refuse to prepare buffalo in the kitchen as well. Big Grin

I know a couple of PHs who miraculously survived a goring and have since changed professions.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short update, surgery was successful and Kallie was moved from hospital in GQ (Gqeberha, formerly known as Port Elizabeth) to local hospital and recovering nicely.
As noted earlier, the PH on site shot the Buffalo twice with a .375 HH, Buffalo ran off. Different PH’s and hunters attempted to find and dispatch the buffalo to no avail, tracking dogs were used, no good, at least 2 drone operators came and survey the area with no luck, finally, a hunter and PH had searched for several days with no luck and the hunter hired a helicopter to look and they found it dead less than 150 meters from where the attack took place. The bush is very thick in that area.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Good news. Thanks for the update.

It has been a very rough year.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13578 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl, Thank you for the update. Good news. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl

Thank you for letting us all know.

God to hear he is on the mend.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received an update today on the injured tracker, he is now recovering at home, but has a long road ahead. He will be homebound until January, but at least he should recover. DSC Frontline provided a grant that will help with his medical bills and lost income, Frontline is still doing the right thing and deserve our support.

Karl Evans