Find
Notify
Tools

Excess Weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted
Boy, I've read what I could find on weight limits and it appears there's a general guideline but everyone has to fend for themselves, and it depends on which country you're living in.

Sooo, do any hunters from Europe to Africa flying SAA know what you got away with?

I understand it's 20kg checked and one 8kg carryon. To make an understatement, how in the hexx are we supposed to go on a hunting safari without paying 48 Euro per kilo excess baggage?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind paying a 100 spot, but man, if you're 10kg over that equals 480 Euro.

What do Golfers or Wind Surfers or whatever sport do with their gear? I mean, 28kg isn't much when your checked gear empty is at 19.2kg with no clothes or ammo!!

Looks like I'm going to have to be wearing my entire clothes supply layered on my body, and just "sweat" it out. Ridiculous. Anyone care to share their recent experience w/SAA I'd appreciate it, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Get lighter gear jumping

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Dom,

Whenever I have travelled with firearrms from /to Europe I have never had the guns included in my weight allowance. That includes my ammunition if packed separately in int's own lockable box. The ammo will count if you put it into your luggage bag.

Most airlines state that the guns should count as part og your weight allowance but I have never seen this done.

One thing you might come up against is that some airlines now only allow you to check one bag through. In this even extra bags are craged at something like Eur10 per bag. I know BA have started something similar.

Other things I do are to:

Put Bino's and shooting sticks into the gun case.

Wear my boots on the plane taking them off as soon as I get on

I buy things liike asprin/shower-gel/shampoo/lens solutions/batteries etc etc at the pharmacy in duty free and put them in my rucksac. This can save 2-3kg's

On the way back I leave all the toiletries and medication at the camp, which in remote places is well recieved. That way I can put my boots into the bag having left presents which lighten the load.

It all helps if you are going a long way

Regards,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was flying Air France from Oslo via Paris to Johannesburg in May, and the cheked in limit is 20 kg. That includes rifle, ammo, clothes and so on ( rifle case and duffelbag ), ammo not allowed with the gun.
They ( Air France ) allow 12 kilos cabin luggage on top of the 20 kilos cheked in.

For me this ment repacking over and over again to meet the 20 kg limit, and two rifles was defenately out of the question. Old army training in packing suddenly came to good use again.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Jaco, traded my .375 for a .22rf & saved 4 lbs Cool

Good tip on getting some stuff at Duty Shop Fallow, I'll do that thumb

Believe me Arild, I'm weighing, packing, weiging over and over too !! Smiler

And thanks you all for the tips, I'm whittling my stuff down and think I'll be close. I'm probably pushing it and making it a little harder because I'm taking a shotgun to hunt birds with. I'll make it one way or another, but what a pain !! Just had to vent a little steam on this BS 20kg limit, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Dom,
Please go back to the 375, I was only joking.

I have rarely seen them weighing the carry on. Fill your pockets with stuff, hang your camera and bino's around your neck. Once you are on the plane you can pack it all in your carry on.

Leave the things at home that your ph/outfitter have. Check with them and avoid duplication of equipment.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Don't fly QANTAS ( though you probably will never have to! )

I got hit for $480 for being 6 kilos overweight.

And they hate hunter/shooters. All paperwork with regard to importation/exportation of firearms goes to the Ministry Of Defence..........

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote