Find
Notify
Tools

NatGeo - Through the Leopard's Eye
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
I saw most of this show last night (I may have messed p the title though). They had some of the most amazing footage of leopard. They had tracked a femaled cub until she was at least 3 years old. They had footage of her mother teaching her to hunt, some of her own kills, battles with baboons, battles with hyenas, her mother kicking her out of her territory upon maturity...

I highly suggest it, except that right before the credits rolled they posted "Over 2,000 leopards are sport hunted every year in Africa." I know that was their method of trying to gather anti-hunting support, but it that fugure even close to accurate? However, if you take the statement literally, I'm sure 2,000 leopards are hunted, but not killed.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Probably all fake. Can't imagine too many wild leopards letting anyone get very close.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
I highly suggest it, except that right before the credits rolled they posted "Over 2,000 leopards are sport hunted every year in Africa."
Yes, I saw that too, scrolled across the screen at the end of an otherwise terrific documentary, as if providing updated and somber information. Tacky. I’m not buying that the filmmaker Dereck Joubert is that naïve in regards to the value of sport hunting in conservation, it would seem to be a clear message that he is anti-hunting period and will take any opportunity to further his cause.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cites.org/common/qu...ExportQuotas2010.pdf

Here is the link to CITES with the export quota by country. Some countries have so many leopards they are allowed 500 per year to export.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Watched it...thought it was good...

They never finished showing the eventual outcome of the baby baboon that was on the other killed and eaten by the leopard...bet baby eventually went the same way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I also noticed the lack of the baby baboon's outcome. It was wild the see the cat care for it, but I'm sure you're right about it eventually winding up in her belly.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It did seem unrealistic that they could get that much leopard footage during the day.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Joubert is a legend in his own colon but he's in a strong position to influence the public. I would not like to think that the fate of the bab was deliberately left out in order to make viewers more sympathetic to the Leopard.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the late 80's we were in Zim. We went to a wildlife refuge. Basically a bunch of penned up critters. I have forgotten how they got there. The name of the place was Chipangali (spelling?). They showed us a video that had been made there in relatively small enclosures that made it appear that the animals were wild. It looked real. It was all basically staged. I am betting the same thing happened on this show.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, the Joubert's & friends took over what had been a large hunting concession in the delta and converted it to a very high-end photo concession, part of the antis method of outbidding the hunting outfitters and banning hunting - a practice also employed in Canada (I think).

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
If memory serves, the Joubert's & friends took over what had been a large hunting concession in the delta and converted it to a very high-end photo concession, part of the antis method of outbidding the hunting outfitters and banning hunting - a practice also employed in Canada (I think).

Yes, it was supposed to be set in the Okavango.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dereck Joubert and his associates are FERVENT ANTI-HUNTERS through and through. Mr Joubert is a very close friend and confidant of Khama (Botswana's president)and is the the main reason Botswana is quickly closing down hunting. Unfortunately, his mission in life by his own admission is to wage war against hunting in every shape or form. Sadly, he has recently secured a hunting concession (EX Zuka safaris) in the heart of the Selous and turned it into a photographic block (You may remember the case of the guide that was killed by an elephant about a year ago whilst guiding students from the UK on a foot safari for a british tv relaity show in the Selous?). He has huge financial backing to fight hunting and the mode operandi is to take over hunting concessions through tons of $$$ for high end photo tourism. The donors help subsidize the otherwise low income generated by the commercial venture. He IS poison! He formed the "Great Plains Conservation " organization for this exact purpose. You can google it and draw your own conclusions.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Dereck Joubert and his associates are FERVENT ANTI-HUNTERS through and through. Mr Joubert is a very close friend and confidant of Khama (Botswana's president)and is the the main reason Botswana is quickly closing down hunting. Unfortunately, his mission in life by his own admission is to wage war against hunting in every shape or form. Sadly, he has recently secured a hunting concession (EX Zuka safaris) in the heart of the Selous and turned it into a photographic block (You may remember the case of the guide that was killed by an elephant about a year ago whilst guiding students from the UK on a foot safari for a british tv relaity show in the Selous?). He has huge financial backing to fight hunting and the mode operandi is to take over hunting concessions through tons of $$$ for high end photo tourism. The donors help subsidize the otherwise low income generated by the commercial venture. He IS poison! He formed the "Great Plains Conservation " organization for this exact purpose. You can google it and draw your own conclusions.

Which proves Joubert's real intentions, make money, all in the name of mis-guided conservation! A bigger enemy, the hunting community does not have.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Botswana twice in the mid 90's near Joubert's camp. He is an accomplished artist, but an absolute anti-hunting zealot. His camp was attacked by a troop of baboons and his painting materials strewn about along with a raid on his food supply. My former PH has advised me that Botswana will be so severely restricted in hutning that he expects it to be another Kenya in the next several years without a fundemental government change.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zig Mackintosh
posted Hide Post
And so how do we take on the likes of Joubert?

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of Joubert's but, in his defense, he does study wild animals (not penned.) He did fantastic work with lion in Savuti (following up on Petri Viljoen's work) and none of it was with "coached" animals.

Re Chipangali Wildlife Orphanage: it is just that. They have never sold themselves as a "reserve" or some free ranging park. They have done fine work over the years and Viv Wilson is one of the most informed men.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Informative posts all.

Dyker, and this is why learning of his true motivation and agenda is disturbing. I have always thought that one can be pro-hunting and pro-conservation, but perhaps this is not realistic. Maybe one must "take sides", I don't know.

Looks like a neat place to visit next trip to Bulawayo, assuming hunters are welcome: http://www.chipangali.com/about.php

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not like to think that the fate of the bab was deliberately left out in order to make viewers more sympathetic to the Leopard.

Milo,
Don't be so naive...why else would they leave it out.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
I have always thought that one can be pro-hunting and pro-conservation, but perhaps this is not realistic. Maybe one must "take sides", I don't know.

Bill,
Bite your tongue man!!! Absolutely one can be pro-hunting and pro-conservation. Actually...they go hand-in-hand and fit like a hand in a glove!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of the Jouberts either but one does have to give them credit for their fantastic camera work.

Someone suggested it's almost impossible to get that kind of footage of wild leopards. I'd disagree with that. It takes a great deal of time and commitment but it is definitely possible to get individual animals habituated to that level.

Another person who's done it is Kim Wolhuter who is the grandson of Harry Wolhuter who was the first game ranger in the KNP. I believe Kim still uses his Grandfather's old camp and now makes wildlife, often leopard documentaries for Nat Geo.

He's also a very nice bloke! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will

I'm with you -and even though I'm only a one trip hunter to Africa (buff) -who did see leopard tracks (and learned from the PH about how to judge size from the track and also learned to hear and identify the cough of a leopard at night which I heard every night) -but because some so called "wild life" documentaries I saw of North American wild life just didn't square with how wary such animals were in the true wild. Yes, I know about telescopic lens and cameras in the ground but I just didn't believe that a weasel (to take one example)could really be followed by humans that easily with such great "close up" shots -and how do they get these shots of animals in a lair or underground giving birth to their young? Doesn't the mother smell anything (maybe human) when she enters to where she plans to give birth?) Yeah, Kansas, I'm with you.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And so how do we take on the likes of Joubert?

We must ensure the truth is told and ensure the locals understand the economic value of hunting over photo safaris. Elections matter.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

What does fantastic camerawork have to do with it? That is exactly the problem, he uses his film work to further his agenda which is both anti hunter and profitable to him and true conservation principles be damned. Aaron has it right.

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mate, that can be said of any media, anywhere in the world.

Like I said, I don't like them and to make it clearer, I don't like their anti hunting stance but that doesn't alter the fact that their camera work is bloody good.

Another example is how the world of spin/propaganda is used is politics. I'm slightly to the right of Atilla The Hun and detest left wing politics but that doesn't alter the fact that the UK Labour party fooled the nation with their spin for 13 years and Obama fooled his nation for long enough to get him into power..... I don't like their politics at all but I do admire the skill of the spin that allowed them to fool so many people for so long. Wink

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I suppose the answer is for someone to beat them at their own game and make good quality documentaries but with a pro hunting spin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to shoot off at a tangent, but I really enjoyed Kim's documentary on a small hyena clan, where he basically became accepted as one of them, being allowed to film just feet away at kills on foot. Very impressive I thought! The Jouberts do produce quality wildlife documentaries though, but they should probably focus more on poaching and human encroachment into wildlife areas, rather than taking a stab at hunting. Well managed hunting gives back, but poaching just takes. Hunting is something that most conservationists grasp, even if they do not enjoy it themselves.

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Lane, yes, of course you are right and we all believe that hunting is conservation, I was too loose in what I wrote…but I’m not sure what the proper descriptive would be. Let me try it this way - Are there "conservation organizations" and/or people out there who not only “tolerate" hunting, but support it as part of their approach? For every one Joubert, are there two or three “good guys” in it for the right reasons and with a realistic and ethical approach? Who are our "friends" that we should support? What about the WWF?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane, yes, of course you are right and we all believe that hunting is conservation, I was too loose in what I wrote…but I’m not sure what the proper descriptive would be. Let me try it this way - Are there "conservation organizations" and/or people out there who not only “tolerate" hunting, but support it as part of their approach? For every one Joubert, are there two or three “good guys” in it for the right reasons and with a realistic and ethical approach? Who are our "friends" that we should support? What about the WWF?

Texas A&M University!!! They have a good African conservation project already in the works and the researchers are very pro-hunting as a conservation tool. Oryxhunter 1893 on AR is one of them.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The WWF gives at best, grudging support. Conservation Force and the CIC are two of the best pro-hunting NGOs (I would say). SCI also does a lot of good stuff - despite their many flaws. the DSC (in my opinion) is little more than a bit player and has an enormousy inflated view of itself (fire away boys). There are other good guys but the odds are stacked in favor of the antis who are better at media manipulation. That is after all, all they do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joubert's documentaries are real, not filmed in pens. That Eye of the Leopard doc has been out there a while, at least three years. Throughout my travels in Bots, I've run into Dereck and Beverly's film crews several times.

The couple loves animals and so do we. We simply have a different spin on what the best form of conservation is. That may sound like a simple difference but there's a wide gap in idealogy.

Still I have to give them their props. Having some background in videography, I can tell you any true cameraman would love to be able to film what they have filmed over the years. And when you have the sponsorship and backing like the Jouberts enjoy, you can afford to be patient for sometimes up to several weeks, just to capture a single moment on film.

Now this might surprise some of you, but they have a greater interest in educating the world about animals, than they do in trying to bring an end to hunting. Safari hunters have been crying doom and gloom for decades. We've taken some hits. Yes the Jouberts are not on our side. But we need to police up our own community and have greater restrictions on the video releases that are distributed by hunters first, especially those posted on YouTube and exchanged via email. We need to worry about all that first, than any damage caused by an award-winning filmmaker perceived to be the real enemy.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
But we need to police up our own community and have greater restrictions on the video releases that are distributed by hunters first, especially those posted on YouTube and exchanged via email.

This is a fair statement.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
But we need to police up our own community and have greater restrictions on the video releases that are distributed by hunters first, especially those posted on YouTube and exchanged via email.

This is a fair statement.

As much as I despise slob hunters and others who denegrate our sport, I can't with any clear conscious support restrictions on free speech. While we'd like to edit and surpress what these people vomit onto the Internet or spread via email, if that power were available then this very website could--and most probably would--be shut down by the anti-hunters.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good point Nitro and I stand with you on that. I'm as big a free speech proponent as Voltaire was. In restrictions I don't mean any form of censure or prohibiting them from distribution. Just greater standards and practices, if you will. Respect the hunting community enough that you think twice before you hit the "send" button, the "post now" button, etc., and transmit video clips that are detrimental to the hunting world.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"As much as we can debate this and as sad as it may be, we can no longer stand behind hunting! For years we tolerated it because it seemed like some spiritual journey in itself. Today we have come to the conclusion we should have years ago: hunting is no longer anything like this, It is all about the kill, and sadly now there is no doubt that hunting now falls under the category of recreation (even mentioned as such in official brochures and websites.) We don't believe that it is ethical to enjoy killing animals (or anything) and while it may be acceptable to kill and eat meat, the enjoyment of that process is shameful. Sport hunting, recreational hunting, blood sports are no longer acceptable morally. To any who say that they enjoy hunting for the bushcraft and chase we say that it is easy to find a substitute today for both of those. In a place called Palmwag in Namibia for example (a Wilderness safaris area) Chris Bakas will take you walking up to black rhinos. His challenge to you will be to get close enough to take a photograph, however you will have failed if the rhino detects you, and failed twice if it charges. Now that is a challenge greater than driving up and shooting an elephant the size of the average African dwelling from your vehicle. That deals with the clients, but the guides or professional hunters should know better, many have grown up with the scent of African sage in their noses and understand her songs. But so many things are being done today in the hunting industry under their watch (that we have seen and filmed or photographed) that the words “ethically bankrupt” are applicable here. If there is to be a hunting industry at all in the future there must be a new way of management of the hunters, by the hunters themselves, with full accountability for their actions, as morally disturbing as sanctioned killing of animals for the fun of it is." - the Jouberts

: : :

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
"As much as we can debate this and as sad as it may be, we can no longer stand behind hunting! For years we tolerated it because it seemed like some spiritual journey in itself. Today we have come to the conclusion we should have years ago: hunting is no longer anything like this, It is all about the kill, and sadly now there is no doubt that hunting now falls under the category of recreation (even mentioned as such in official brochures and websites.) We don't believe that it is ethical to enjoy killing animals (or anything) and while it may be acceptable to kill and eat meat, the enjoyment of that process is shameful. Sport hunting, recreational hunting, blood sports are no longer acceptable morally. To any who say that they enjoy hunting for the bushcraft and chase we say that it is easy to find a substitute today for both of those. In a place called Palmwag in Namibia for example (a Wilderness safaris area) Chris Bakas will take you walking up to black rhinos. His challenge to you will be to get close enough to take a photograph, however you will have failed if the rhino detects you, and failed twice if it charges. Now that is a challenge greater than driving up and shooting an elephant the size of the average African dwelling from your vehicle. That deals with the clients, but the guides or professional hunters should know better, many have grown up with the scent of African sage in their noses and understand her songs. But so many things are being done today in the hunting industry under their watch (that we have seen and filmed or photographed) that the words “ethically bankrupt” are applicable here. If there is to be a hunting industry at all in the future there must be a new way of management of the hunters, by the hunters themselves, with full accountability for their actions, as morally disturbing as sanctioned killing of animals for the fun of it is." - the Jouberts

As much as we can debate this and as sad as it may be, we can no longer tolerate the Jouberts and their ilk! For years we tolerated it because it seemed like they educated the public and provided entertaining documentaries. Today we have come to the conclusion we should have years ago: that wildlife documentaries are no longer anything like this. It is all about the money and playing to the ignorance of people who simply don’t understand nature, and sadly now there is no doubt that documentaries now strive to misinform rather than inform (even in official brochures and websites.) We don't believe that it is ethical to profit from misinformation about animals (or anything) and while it is only natural to kill and eat meat, the enjoyment of that process is part of life, as is memorializing the experience with a trophy. Sport hunting and recreational hunting are blood sports, but so too is life a blood sport. Documentaries which do nothing more than indoctrinate and misinform are no longer acceptable morally. To any who say that they enjoy the Joubert’s films for their educational value, we say that you will learn much more by partaking in the experience of hunting. There are many places where a guide will get you close enough to photograph animals, but you will be forbidden to kill them. Then you will return to a lodge where the guides will tell you that hunting is wrong – and then feed you the same species of animal that you just photographed, killed by someone else. Many of the photo guides have grown up with the scent of African sage in their noses and understand nature’s song. They should know better. The killing of animals is part of life. When the photo-safari industry, especially the Jouberts, shows photographs and films that misinform and present a warped view of reality and of nature, the words “ethically bankrupt” are applicable. If there is to be wildlife at all in the future there must be a new way of management of the film-makers, by the hunting community, the conservation community and by the film-making industry itself, with full accountability for their actions, as dishonest and morally disturbing as their films often are.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SteveGI,

That was brilliant. I have been privy to a number of email debates that Joubert has had with other members of the wildlife conservation community (on the lion issue) and he makes a point of trying to ridicule the pro-hunting members, especially John Jackson who has done more for African wildlife conservation than Joubert could ever dream of. With this new National Geographic big cat initiative Joubert is trying to position himself as the saviour of big cats and willing to "talk" to all sides. He cannot be trusted.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
As much as I despise slob hunters and others who denegrate our sport, I can't with any clear conscious support restrictions on free speech. While we'd like to edit and surpress what these people vomit onto the Internet or spread via email, if that power were available then this very website could--and most probably would--be shut down by the anti-hunters.

Agreed! I just want to educate the ones doing it!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
As much as we can debate this and as sad as it may be, we can no longer tolerate the Jouberts and their ilk! For years we tolerated it because it seemed like they educated the public and provided entertaining documentaries. Today we have come to the conclusion we should have years ago: that wildlife documentaries are no longer anything like this. It is all about the money and playing to the ignorance of people who simply don’t understand nature, and sadly now there is no doubt that documentaries now strive to misinform rather than inform (even in official brochures and websites.) We don't believe that it is ethical to profit from misinformation about animals (or anything) and while it is only natural to kill and eat meat, the enjoyment of that process is part of life, as is memorializing the experience with a trophy. Sport hunting and recreational hunting are blood sports, but so too is life a blood sport. Documentaries which do nothing more than indoctrinate and misinform are no longer acceptable morally. To any who say that they enjoy the Joubert’s films for their educational value, we say that you will learn much more by partaking in the experience of hunting. There are many places where a guide will get you close enough to photograph animals, but you will be forbidden to kill them. Then you will return to a lodge where the guides will tell you that hunting is wrong – and then feed you the same species of animal that you just photographed, killed by someone else. Many of the photo guides have grown up with the scent of African sage in their noses and understand nature’s song. They should know better. The killing of animals is part of life. When the photo-safari industry, especially the Jouberts, shows photographs and films that misinform and present a warped view of reality and of nature, the words “ethically bankrupt” are applicable. If there is to be wildlife at all in the future there must be a new way of management of the film-makers, by the hunting community, the conservation community and by the film-making industry itself, with full accountability for their actions, as dishonest and morally disturbing as their films often are.

tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Isn't Joubert either business partners with Ian Khama in a video concession or company or tied in personally with him?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have studied Joubert and his self promotion through the media and I would can only compare him to the likes of Mark Sullivan.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote